Weapon Of Choice

Rod

"Weapon of Choice." My Christopher Walken The Continental is compelled to provide the media.

As far as a weapon of choice, walking amongst the creatures, for a sidearm I'd miss the Smith 610 5" 10mm revolver I used to own. 10mm Smith revolver. Naturally it would also fire .40S&W like a .38 Special thru a .357 Mag. Alas, whilst unemployed a few years ago, sacrificed this fine, powerful revolver to pay some bills.

For a rifle, I'd feel pretty well armed with a FN-FAL. 7.62 NATO/.308 Win ain't no slouch caliber. 20 round magazine. I might well opt for a Marlin .45-70 Gov Guide Gun, a short, immensely powerful, reliable lever rifle. I could be convinced to carry a fairly short 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. Here's the FN:

00-1000-016.jpg Edited by Incorrigible1

My can of Easy Off. It gets anything and everything off of you long enough to run if you get them in the eyes with it.

My can of Easy Off. It gets anything and everything off of you long enough to run if you get them in the eyes with it.

Excellent! Do you carry it with you always?

Is it easy to pull out from where you keep it?

Great Idea my friend..

Concerning concealed weapons: For most my adult life, my state forbid legal concealed carry. I was among those that fairly frequently still went about concealed. It's "concealed," right? No one is supposed to know. And so they didn't.

Still, those of our friends in the know would occasionally ask "why." A pal explained it well. He said "The reason I carry concealed is because I don't know when trouble is coming. If I did, I'd only carry on that day."

Still wish I'd said that.

Edited by Incorrigible1

I'll 2nd the 45-70 Guide Gun. That one is next on my wish list. I already have the Buffalo Classic with the 32" bull barrel and love it!

Excellent! Do you carry it with you always?

Is it easy to pull out from where you keep it?

Great Idea my friend..

I don't carry it always but if I happen to be in a strange place, like on vacation where I will be out at night, I just go to the nearest grocery store and get a can if I flew. If driving, I just put it in the car with me. Once there, I keep it in my tote and pull it out as I'm going to and from my hotel room to the car. I do keep a can handy by the bed at home just in case I hear something coming up the stairs at night(light sleeper).

Rod, found this one today:

miA0ul.jpg

Its a S&W 629 "Mountain Gun". 44 mag, 38 oz, 6 shot, round butt grip frame. Used in box for $650. Loaded its only about 6 oz heavier than my S&W 686. Its several hundred bucks less than the Alaskan and maybe a little easier and cheaper to shoot.

Nice find at a reasonable price.

Marlin makes several iterations of the 1895 in 45-70. You might check out the GBL or SBL too (I have the SBL). I really think the GBL looks slick as snot on a doorknob, but now I really want an 1895 Cowboy.

Jodie, why not a can of bear spray instead? (when not flying)

Does it stink? Easy Off doesn't have a bad odor but the fumes can make your eyes water because of the lye content. Where do they sell Bear Spray?

We found bear spray at an outfitters store near Gatlinburg, Tn.

Sports and camping stores should do the trick.

Good Luck my friend..

Guest Thepattywagon

Check with a local hiking/camping outfitter. If they don't have it, maybe they can get a can for you. It's just very powerful pepper spray, to my knowledge. My girlfriend carries it with her when hiking in Wyoming. She's got a friend who runs a mountaineering store who hooks her up with a can of it when she goes out there in Summer.

Check with a local hiking/camping outfitter. If they don't have it, maybe they can get a can for you. It's just very powerful pepper spray, to my knowledge. My girlfriend carries it with her when hiking in Wyoming. She's got a friend who runs a mountaineering store who hooks her up with a can of it when she goes out there in Summer.

To be honest, I really don't like the idea of using Easy Off because it can literally blind someone. I will have to get a can of the bear spray since it doesn't do any permanent damage.

Marlin makes several iterations of the 1895 in 45-70. You might check out the GBL or SBL too (I have the SBL). I really think the GBL looks slick as snot on a doorknob, but now I really want an 1895 Cowboy.

marlin has always made excellent lever guns, but i wonder how being owned by remington has affected that?( not picking a fight w/ remington fans, ive got /had a few rems too)

but i say this because looking at a marlin 44 mag lever at ***** sporting goods last year i noticed the front sight was not "top dead center"on the barrel, it had been attached at almost the 1:00 oclock position.

i was suprised & slightly saddened to see that. counter guy just shrugged.

quality control mustve been sleeping at the wheel, im hoping it was just a fluke.

I used to be a rabid http://www.marlinowners.com/forums reader/poster. You'll learn everything there is to know about Marlin levers (or otherwise) there. I'm not a Marlington/Remlin fan, but it's just my personal connection with them since my first rifle was a Marlin .22 my grandfather gave me. Since then I never wanted Marlin to change. My first bolt-gun was a Remington 700, so I appreciate them too, just not together :) I have no idea about the quality of the Marlins Remington is making, but I do know there was quite the stink from New Haven employees when they were getting their pink slips about it (which could have just been p*ssed people b*tching...I don't know). I figure though Remington makes good rifles, so why wouldn't they make good Marlins.