Bigfoot & Native Americans...

Guest Bucket

Guest wudewasa

Bagwajinini, I have a question for you. Do your people believe that there are good as well as evil Sasquatch entities?

An "evil" sasquatch with a with frickin' "laser beam" on its head!

post-1029-094961500 1312306957_thumb.jpg

Sorry folks, I just can't resist!

Seriously though, Bagwajinini, thanks for adding your tribe's traditions to this thread. Along with PT's question, do your people have a spirit like the Wendigo in your beliefs?

Guest para ape

Bipedalist,I take it from your comment,that you believe that bigfoot is a real animal and that you don't agree with the paranormal view.I can understand that.But I do know that some native americans believed that bigfoot comes from another dimension and that they could come to ours whenever they choose to.Also,they believed that bigfoot possessed great pschyic abilities.

Guest vilnoori

I just want to add that these entities are not only a part of North American Native tradition but I think are universal. I am a good christian lady of German descent and I had a dream of a thunderbird that turned into a man who threw a blanket over me. A very NA sort of dream. I believed him to be a messenger from the creator, and I considered it a very special dream message that I treasure. I suppose different cultures would put different meanings to it, and perhaps a little different slant. Maybe I am a bit out of the norm for a white lady, but maybe not. My people paid attention to the messages in their dreams long before scientific thinking came along. There was a lot of power and authority, I consider messages from the creator, given in dreams and dream language in my own family through the generations. My family also had a tradition of caring for others, in particular in medicine and in spirituality. It all came in one package. Dreams often gave an insight into a troubled situation or a situation where healing or extra information was required. There were many supernatural events too, in a good way. We call them angelic interventions, while another culture might call them spirit helpers or maybe just luck. And to tie this all in with sasquatches, I think that people who have this extra sensitivity to their world and to others may also be the kind of people who are able to see sasquatches. Their minds are able to encompass the idea, they are not afraid or at least are not afraid enough to stick around and be available for experiences. They are not afraid to walk alone in the forest but walk with confidence knowing they are not really alone, and that something greater than themselves cares for them daily, someone who is powerful and to whom they pray on a regular basis.

Guest wudewasa

There was a member on the old forum (RJ Romero) who was Lakota, and he spoke of the Tall Man and the Big Man. The Tall Man was a spirit that appeared when someone in the tribe was behaving in a disrespectful manner, while the Big Man was a flesh and blood creature that was encountered on the reservation periodically, and behaved in a similar way to bigfoot accounts.

Non-natives often confused the two stories or believed that they were the same spirit/creature, hence the misunderstanding of the folklore.

Guest Biggie

EPIC warning! Let's hope they heed it!

They won't be shooting any arrows in my throat. I stay in white boy's territory so I'm safe.

Oh yeah. To the fanatics who want to catch and study the older brothers. Don't come to my Area. Free country or not. We will NOT tolerate our woods with a bunch of screaming white people with infrared cameras and hand held radios.

(I'll apologize right off the bat for the tone of my post:) No disrespect intended. Just my personal viewpoint.)

Wow! I'm not sure how blatantly racist posts are allowed to be, but give me a break! Being a registered member of an Indian Tribe in the Pac NW, I'm appalled that there is still such a deep seeded animosity towards 'white' people's love for the exploration, and research of Sasquatches. Do we, Native Americans, own all the rights to knowledge, and exploration of the species? NOPE! The day that tribes admit that they are a real, living species, living within the boundaries of their respective reservations, then I can see your point, and would have every right to protect them within said boundaries, but until that day comes, no need to blast out such ignorant propaganda towards people of any race, or creed. It's ridiculous! I find it laughable too, that people run around in large groups, armed to the hilt with technology, with no chance of having a viable encounter, and really have no motivation to prove existence, other than fame, and fortune, but that is their prerogative! But if Sasquatches are some sort of inter-dimensional, shape-shifting entity, like a lot of us(me excluded) believe, then what's the worry? Maybe they can just warp to the next level, like Super Mario Brothers, if anyone gets too close to them!;) I know how guarded most Native Americans are when it comes to information sharing about Sasquatches with non-natives, but as far as I'm concerned, that sort of close-minded ideology hurts the very foundation of proving existence for the greater good of mankind, in general.

Guest BAGWAJININI

An "evil" sasquatch with a with frickin' "laser beam" on its head!

post-1029-094961500 1312306957_thumb.jpg

Sorry folks, I just can't resist!

Seriously though, Bagwajinini, thanks for adding your tribe's traditions to this thread. Along with PT's question, do your people have a spirit like the Wendigo in your beliefs?

Windigo is a different entity. We did "past tense" have to deal with Windigo. The name "Windigo" through the years is a shorter version of the actual name "Biwandigo" He who comes with the fog. He ate and tortured our people for a very long time. The people, tried to fool Biwandigo by offering him a feast. They succeeded and the entire tribe pushed him into a fire. Just as he was being pushed into the fire he promised the people that he would be eating them forever. While he burned the fog came and water all around and out of the ashes were born the mosquito.

Guest BAGWAJININI

(I'll apologize right off the bat for the tone of my post:) No disrespect intended. Just my personal viewpoint.)

Wow! I'm not sure how blatantly racist posts are allowed to be, but give me a break! Being a registered member of an Indian Tribe in the Pac NW, I'm appalled that there is still such a deep seeded animosity towards 'white' people's love for the exploration, and research of Sasquatches. Do we, Native Americans, own all the rights to knowledge, and exploration of the species? NOPE! The day that tribes admit that they are a real, living species, living within the boundaries of their respective reservations, then I can see your point, and would have every right to protect them within said boundaries, but until that day comes, no need to blast out such ignorant propaganda towards people of any race, or creed. It's ridiculous! I find it laughable too, that people run around in large groups, armed to the hilt with technology, with no chance of having a viable encounter, and really have no motivation to prove existence, other than fame, and fortune, but that is their prerogative! But if Sasquatches are some sort of inter-dimensional, shape-shifting entity, like a lot of us(me excluded) believe, then what's the worry? Maybe they can just warp to the next level, like Super Mario Brothers, if anyone gets too close to them!;) I know how guarded most Native Americans are when it comes to information sharing about Sasquatches with non-natives, but as far as I'm concerned, that sort of close-minded ideology hurts the very foundation of proving existence for the greater good of mankind, in general.

If I thought in such a manner you suggest as though I have rights and can keep secrets I would not have posted on this website at all. You should also remember that you're thinking pattern is clouded by biased American theology. A man becomes a doctor doesn't become an expert. He spends the rest of his life exploring medicine does he not? He is required to do it in a certain way though. If they didn't have common law, we would have more mad scientist doctors than healing doctors. My tribes medicine men spend a lifetime learning and listening. countless days starving and thirsting in the woods to prove he is humble and can practice good humility.

Without these virtues, we have people like James Ray who charge $10,000 to go to a carnival style sweat lodge that kills three people. It only takes tobacco and an open mind and heart. No offense but white people would be the people to do just that. I've witnessed it on that tv show "Finding Bigfoot". What you see a a racial slur and had to comment on is nothing more than a petty argument to me. Not truly important. I don't come to this website and say things because anyone is worthy of the information or because they want to know. I do it because they NEED to know. Honestly I don't know what your angle is but this is my answer.

If an Ojibwe man goes to the Lakota reservation acting like a fool he'll get chased the hell out. Does that make sense to you?

Guest KentuckyApeman

Bagwajinini, I have a question for you. Do your people believe that there are good as well as evil Sasquatch entities?

Well we have the same breakdown for human traits. And I'm sure there are evil grizzly bears, evil silverback gorrilas, etc.

BF's as well. Evil politicians also. ****, this seems to be contagious. :angry:

As fascinating as this all is, and I am indeed fascinated, can we leave the racial stuff out of it and just get on with the stories? What is a slur to some is not to others, and depending on how you look at it, it could be name calling. If it has to be referred to at all why can't you just say Caucasian, African American, Asian, or Native American as it applies on the census forms so that way we can focus on the content of what everyone is posting instead of worrying about whether we should be insulted or not.

Now getting on with it, you are dead right about that tobacco. Something raids my brother's ashtray on his deck for the half smoked cigarettes on regular basis.

Guest BAGWAJININI

Well we have the same breakdown for human traits. And I'm sure there are evil grizzly bears, evil silverback gorrilas, etc.

BF's as well. Evil politicians also. ****, this seems to be contagious. :angry:

Animals are a different story. They are not exactly "evil". They are simply territorial and protective to preserve their way of life. We have to also ask what is "evil" exactly. If a bear rips into a man at a campground which is only inhabited by people during prime time of the year, who is intruding? who has the right to feel invaded?

"Evil" is someone who purposely deviates from common societal law. Perhaps a serial killer would be a good example. He knows that he is doing something wrong, yet continues to do it.

I don't believe there is and evil Bagwajinini. A pissed off one maybe, but not evil. I may be wrong though I don't know everything.

BAGWAJININI, on 01 August 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

Oh yeah. To the fanatics who want to catch and study the older brothers.

Don't come to my Area.

Free country or not. We will NOT tolerate our woods with a bunch of screaming white people with infrared cameras and hand held radios.

EPIC warning! Let's hope they heed it!

Sweetsusiq says to BAGWAJININI:

Why are you threatening people?

There is no reason for folks to be running around your lands.

However, Threatening people here is how you sounded to me, and I hope that I'm wrong.

These are good people here, and they would not go on private lands w/o permission.

Why would you feel it necessary to issue threats which is how I understood your post? :(

I don't understand this. Please help me to understand. Thank you.

Susie-If I thought he threatened anyone don't you think I would have addressed that in the post two above the one you just made?

Guest BAGWAJININI

I can give my knowledge away of Bagwajinini or I can keep answering petty arguments. My people and I have every right to be protective of our lands. There is a HUGE difference between making a threat and/or specifically stating that "we will not tolerate".