COVID-19 and BF

WSA

BFF Patron

Crazy they have to collect the stuff back from dental offices like in Oregon/Washington? 

Somebody did something "nasty" not following the pandemic practice scenarios. 

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron
17 hours ago, Rlee said:

My wife and I lead the good life, eat properly and get exercise. We are both healthy.

In the fall we take a trip every year from British Columbia ,where we live, to Sedona, AZ then Moab, UT then home. Last year it was the first two weeks in November, about 4 months ago. While in Sedona I picked up a cold. I didn't feel too bad but one thing that never happens to me was that I was short of breath. We were mountain biking and hiking with our dog and I wasn't quite right if you get what I mean.

We got home and a few days later I was back at work and my wife got sick. She had made a trip to the dentist and visiting friends with kids so we didn't think much of it. A week went by and she wasn't better. We figured she had the flu. Another week and it didn't break. Then she told me to take her to Emergency.

O2 was low so she was on oxygen immediately, in isolation and a constant drip of antibiotics.  After a couple hours the internist came in and told us she had pneumonia from the virus and needed to be  intubated. We opted to wait a few hours, luckily her blood oxygen levels started to rise.

Four days in ICU isolation while they ran every test they had, no positive results but they thought she wasn't contagious. Then four days in a room with other sick people and two months at home and is finally healthy again.

If you or someone close to you gets sick keep a level head and ask lots of questions. Your doctors are smart and Nurses sometimes have a lot of information that is important.

We have talked about if we both had Covid or not, I really wonder how long it has been around? We are both taking all the precautions we can as I do not want to be the one who spreads it around.

I had a similar situation but no ICU, no pneumonia but was hospitalized  prez day weekend 2019.  Low 0x saturations, respiratory therapy, chronic bronchitis/cough/bronchospasm, nonsmoker, diagnosed as if I had late onset asthma or COPD and put on numerous inhalers, pulmonary function testing (fairly normal) etc.  Come to find out it was at least partially environmental due to an old rehabbed apt I was living in at the time/dusty, constant painting, reworking of old units, old heating units without filters etc.  Once recovered and moved out of that situation I no longer need inhalers and only take a few common allergy preps.  I had several winters worth of increasingly severe bronchitis of a very atypical nature that would last months leading up to this.  I had made the switch to pnw from the east which may have been an issue too, now back east.  I too was wondering what Russia slipped into the water for a few years.  I now ride a bike aggressively with no shortness of breath whatsoever and no inhalers since June 2020.  I was also diagnosed with chronic obstructive sleep apnea and put on c-pap which seemed to make a difference too.  Stay safe out there and stay hydrated with plenty of fresh air ops when possible. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Just ran to the local hardware store for a bolt, it is also a feed supply.     Full of country bumpkins that have not heard about distancing.    The couple behind me was within three feet.    Cashier not wearing gloves and she looked over 60.    The public is not aware that alcohol is has many purposes including industrial purposes.   Hardware stores still have alcohol fuel for stoves if you need alcohol to decontaminate surfaces.    The stuff is nearly 100% so be careful using it on plastics, some of which craze when subjected to high test alcohol.     Cannot get rubbing alcohol in stores but in Washington State we are burning thousands of gallons of alcohol in our cars every day.    Killing our self to save the planet?   

Bipedalist that OSA is no joke, I know.

A few years ago I kept feeling worse and worse, suspecting  heart or other issues due to family history, but tests kept coming back normal.

Long story short a smart Dr asked the missus about my sleep habits, ordered a sleep study and mostly all better now .

FWIW,i highly recommend  the "So Clean " cpap  cleaning device.

other wise even with washing  I kept a upper respiratory infection on/off before getting the so clean unit

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Is anyone else a little perplexed about the lack of masks, gloves, and other protective equipment in hospitals?      The outbreak in China was months ago.     Surely medical professionals would expect that the virus would spread to this country.   None of the protective gear has shelf lives and is used routinely.    So there would be no harm in stocking up.   One would think that the buyers for hospitals would have been stocking up for months and not have run into a brick wall lately with shortages.   Even more bewildering a local contractor just a few months ago bought hundreds of masks from a government surplus sale.   He donated them to local hospitals.     Why would the government declare masks surplus when a pandemic was looming on the time horizon?

PPE does have an expiration date, not sure about the government selling masks as surplus unless it was for that reason. 

9 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Crazy they have to collect the stuff back from dental offices like in Oregon/Washington? 

Somebody did something "nasty" not following the pandemic practice scenarios. 

It's called denial, we started hearing about this in November. I remember talking with my family about it and I just assumed by the time it got over here we would have a vaccine developed like we did so quickly for H1N1. 

10 hours ago, Rlee said:

A antibody test would be the way to curb this. Right now anybody who is sick goes on a 2week self isolation. The problem is they don't test anyone who isn't high risk. So you get the flu or a cold and return to work not knowing that you can still get and spread Covid.

I had read on one of the more reliable research web sites that this was going to be done after it dies down because we need a baseline of how many people were exposed to make those kinds of decisions instead of paralyzing entire countries if it sweeps through again. I don't think we will ever truly know how many passed as a result of this infection. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

However, places like MD360 are the easy to visit... Around here at least for now.

My girlfriend came down with a sinus and ear infection this week, but was hesitant to go seek medical attention because she didn't want to be in a waiting room filled with coughing people.  

I convinced her to go before the medical resource in this area get overwhelmed.  The emergency care center have signs up stating that they are not equipped to treat anyone with flulike or CV 19 symptoms.  A nurse was stationed outside the door and screened anyone wanting to enter.  

My girlfriend reported that there were only 2 other people in the waiting room on a Friday afternoon.  All of the staff wore masks, goggles, and gloves...and there were people sterilizing constantly.  

I have a feeling that it would be a much different experience in a short time

I was at an urgent care center yesterday for a sore throat (figured it was strep). Had to wait a couple of days as they had just gotten COVID testing capability and so they spent two days only doing COVID testing.

They had signs up to not come in and flyers with COVID symptoms for self-screening. You had to call in, doing an initial screen over the phone, then wait in your car. A nurse would call afterwards, screen for symptoms of COVID. If you had symptoms they would come out in PPE (mask, gloves, and disposable smock) to disburse masks to whoever they were taking in. If you didn't have symptoms you were allowed to come in and given a mask for your own protection. For COVID patients they had to have two staff with them at all times. Non-COVID had the normal one-to-one ratio. As far as I know, I was the only non-COVID patient and they were fairly happy to have one.

Had to go to Target for my prescription. There were a number of parents with kids hanging out in the toys aisles. By the time I got my script the store was beginning to fill up mostly with people there to hang out.

We haven't had a case announced specifically yet, but as I understand the local hospital is awaiting results and considering the urgent care centers were testing for two days solid, it's only a matter of time. And yet....yeah.

Also, I've noted a number of national parks are either closing or putting restrictions up. Last I saw Yosemite and Rocky Mountain were closed. Great Smokies closed their campgrounds, picnic areas, and restrooms starting tomorrow. Shenandoah had to close a number of popular trails to all but locals starting today due to overcrowding. So be careful if you're using this time to do some BF hunting, seems like a lot of folks are out and about right now.

https://apnews.com/6ccca2d0e218411cb6b8aa8d60f8357c

As the coronavirus infects more people around the world, conservationists are warning of the risk to another vulnerable species: Africa’s endangered mountain gorilla. 

Congo’s Virunga National Park, home to about a third of the world’s mountain gorillas, is barring visitors until June 1, citing “advice from scientific experts indicating that primates, including mountain gorillas, are likely susceptible to complications arising from the COVID-19 virus.” 

Neighboring Rwanda also is temporarily shutting down tourism and research activities in three national parks that are home to primates such as gorillas and chimpanzees..........

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

There could also be a situation where, if food becomes scarce, monkeys and larger primates could become a target. And the people who guard against poaching may be the first targets

Edited by hiflier

I hope that people gifting items and food to the bigfoot either stop or take extreme sterilization measures on such items. They are social like us and it could wipe out whole clans.

Then again, a 7 ft. 700 lbs. Bigfoot could probably feed a family of twelve for some time.

Just joking of course :) 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hoping-to-escape-coronavirus-city-dwellers-are-fleeing-to-californias-deserts-and-mountains/ar-BB11zHSz

........As the coronavirus pandemic tightens its grip on California’s largest cities, some residents are fleeing urban sprawl and seeking shelter in isolated communities in the Mojave Desert or rugged Sierra Nevada. Their hope, they say, is to avoid possible public unrest and limit their exposure to the virus..........

BFF Patron
On 3/22/2020 at 8:29 AM, SwiftWater said:

I was at an urgent care center yesterday for a sore throat (figured it was strep). Had to wait a couple of days as they had just gotten COVID testing capability and so they spent two days only doing COVID testing.

They had signs up to not come in and flyers with COVID symptoms for self-screening. You had to call in, doing an initial screen over the phone, then wait in your car. A nurse would call afterwards, screen for symptoms of COVID. If you had symptoms they would come out in PPE (mask, gloves, and disposable smock) to disburse masks to whoever they were taking in. If you didn't have symptoms you were allowed to come in and given a mask for your own protection. For COVID patients they had to have two staff with them at all times. Non-COVID had the normal one-to-one ratio. As far as I know, I was the only non-COVID patient and they were fairly happy to have one.

Had to go to Target for my prescription. There were a number of parents with kids hanging out in the toys aisles. By the time I got my script the store was beginning to fill up mostly with people there to hang out.

We haven't had a case announced specifically yet, but as I understand the local hospital is awaiting results and considering the urgent care centers were testing for two days solid, it's only a matter of time. And yet....yeah.

Also, I've noted a number of national parks are either closing or putting restrictions up. Last I saw Yosemite and Rocky Mountain were closed. Great Smokies closed their campgrounds, picnic areas, and restrooms starting tomorrow. Shenandoah had to close a number of popular trails to all but locals starting today due to overcrowding. So be careful if you're using this time to do some BF hunting, seems like a lot of folks are out and about right now.

Sugarlands, Oconaluftee visitor centers now closed in Smokies too, very odd

Yet, the NC Gov still encourages up to 50 people get togethers despite schools closed to May 15, so disjointed.  Guess they will reschedule the adopt a trail Smokies volunteer trail program sched for March 26 originally.  

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Just learned USFS campgrounds are closed because of abundance of caution in toileting/elimination concerns and spread. Also just read rec that thru hikers and section hikers on AT consider leaving the trail for similar reasons, wow!  ATC also suspended ridgerunner/caretaker programs; this while all NC state parks remain open despite local county parks closed. Some larger city parks still remain open.  Social distancing on the Blue Ridge Parkway  rec areas is a joke right now.  People just don't get it. 

Edited by bipedalist

Being involved involved in transportation  I’m embarrassed by the number of companies that are finding loop holes to be considered essential.    Without naming names, some are sporting goods, aftermarket car accessories, hardware Mfg. etc.     I get ppl are scared about the economy and money but these irresponsible decisions will cost us all and drag this on much longer.  

• gigantor locked this topic