Going to Gatlinburg, TN next week any good spots to Hunt BF?

Franco

We are planning on going out to Smokey Mountain National Forrest and Nantahala National Forest.... Any goods spots to hunt the Big Guy?

• Upvote 1

My stomping grounds.

Nantahala, the Smokies, Pisgah, and Cherokee have a lot of activity... however in my experience a lot of the activity dies down in the summertime....at least in relatively easy to access areas. 

Asheville has blown up in recent years and most of the newcomers quickly adopt the woods hippy culture that is so prevalent there.  A lot of woodland areas in that region have become absolutely swamped over the summer in recent years with hikers who are pretty clueless about outdoor activities.  My pet theory is that the increased human presence is driving whatever population is left up there deeper into the mountains.  The trails through there barely scratch the surface of the wild areas through there. 

However, if you are near an area with a relatively difficult to overcome natural barrier (and you yourself are able to traverse it) that's where you need to go.  Most of these amateur hikers turn back at the first water crossing or steep path.  

The forests in and around Haywood County are the source of TONS of first-hand Class A encounters that are never officially reported and never show up on any of the usual resource sites.  Again, a lot of those accounts seem to take place in the late fall (after the leaf peepers go back home) and continue through the winter into early spring.  If you are near Haywood County I would recommend going into the woods around there.

However, in all fairness, the most eventful, frightening, and impactful experiences that I have had so far took place in the Nantahala in the middle of summer...so activity doesn't necessarily cease completely.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Upvote 1

My family is from Ashville, really Swannanoa NC.  Just beautiful country.  Just understand there is 1000's of square miles of wilderness in western NC and probably a relatively small number oF BFs.  Go enjoy yourself and if you actually hit the lottery and stumble on one consider it a bonus.  If you are serious about it, I would work the NC/Tenn line north of Fontana lake.

Rafting the Nantahala is great fun if you want an intro in to a great hobby.  There is a great swimming hole with a 25-40 ft jump at the base of Nantahala lake I will share with you if you are interested and in the area.  Both of my girls did it.  I busted my ear drum when I did it so be careful.

Thanks Guys, I am somewhat famular with the area Spent alot of time Camping and cruising through there.  Nantahala Mostly... Didnt get deep in the woods then. But will this time. Funny you mentioned Asheville... Stop there to see friends on our way back.. Fingers crossed I will post if I get a hit.   

This forum is da bomb 

6 minutes ago, CaveMan said:

You’re as likely to find a Sasquatch in Tennessee as you are to find a gator in Chicago.

Nevermind.

10 minutes ago, CaveMan said:

You’re as likely to find a Sasquatch in Tennessee as you are to find a gator in Chicago. 

Maybe this is not the comparison you intended...

Tracking down alligators in Chicago, which are not native to the area, is not as rare an occurrence as one might think.

"We probably get maybe a couple a year," Crowley said.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/740682753/an-alligator-surfaces-at-a-chicago-lagoon-and-a-city-snaps-to-attention

• Upvote 1

The area is rich in encounters, both past and present.  

I recently listened to an episode of the NAWAC's  official podcast, and one of the things that struck me as interesting was that 3 of the participants all reported sightings or class b encounters in the area of Pisgah or Cherokee.  

However, this part of the country is blowing up with new arrivals.  A lot of these small mountain towns are increasing in population steadily.  Whatever population of these creatures remain in these mountainous regions are going to be put under more pressure. 

1 hour ago, CaveMan said:

I've a healthy dose of skepticism regarding the subject, but am not quite so wont to douse other's desire to research on their own efforts. Perhaps consider not being such a Debbie Downer.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I've a healthy dose of skepticism regarding the subject, but am not quite so wont to douse other's desire to research on their own efforts. Perhaps consider not being such a Debbie Downer.

I responded to him in a similar fashion before I realized who he is...

This is the guy who says  "I never understand why so many here only criticize the work of others. The entire field suffers from a bucket of crabs mentality and THAT is why the subject is a laughing stock and will never yield results." in one post then proceeds to insult and criticize in the next.  

He's a troll.  Plain and simple.  I remember him from one of the Expedition Bigfoot threads.

I don't blame you for your skepticism.  I was shocked when I moved here at the amount of activity that appears to take place in this region.  Lots of encounters still take place on a regular basis up here.  

There's a lot of mountain wilderness around here that is only explored by well traveled trails.  People walk a thin narrow line through a pretty vast area.  

It's going to be interesting to see how the increase in population affects whatever is up here. There are new gated neighborhoods going up every month in the mountains around here.  More people out in the woods than ever, although the overwhelming majority never get past that first natural barrier.  

• Upvote 1

That's always been my M.O. go where people don't. That currently means a lot of bushwhacking through tick infested balsam thickets. How's the Lyme down there? It creates a good "invisible" natural barrier to lots of folks.

We do the same, but we are going through thatches of holly.  I pretty much stay scratched up.

Lyme disease is on the rise in this area.

Ticks are absolutely crazy this year.  We were covered and stopping every few miles to check ourselves.  We cut one outing short because we were covered.  You are busting through the brush off trail....you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least a couple on you.

This has also been a bad year for snakes, although we have not seen a single one.  A buddy had one of his coon hounds killed by a rattler just a few days ago, while copperheads seem to be plentiful.  

You know what has also been plentiful?  Insane people who are tired of quarantine and have been going into the woods to party to avoid rules against large groups.  Nothing like running into a group of meth billies 5 miles into the woods while you are carrying a couple thousand dollars worth of electronics. We have pulled out of one research area, not necessarily because of the danger but because we can't guarantee that any strange sounds that we hear won't have a normal (if drug induced) human source.

They are running 4 wheelers into remote areas to party and set off fireworks.  It's crazy.  

5 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

We do the same, but we are going through thatches of holly.  I pretty much stay scratched up.

Lyme disease is on the rise in this area.

Ticks are absolutely crazy this year.  We were covered and stopping every few miles to check ourselves.  We cut one outing short because we were covered.  You are busting through the brush off trail....you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least a couple on you.

This has also been a bad year for snakes, although we have not seen a single one.  A buddy had one of his **** hounds killed by a rattler just a few days ago, while copperheads seem to be plentiful.  

You know what has also been plentiful?  Insane people who are tired of quarantine and have been going into the woods to party to avoid rules against large groups.  Nothing like running into a group of meth billies 5 miles into the woods while you are carrying a couple thousand dollars worth of electronics. We have pulled out of one research area, not necessarily because of the danger but because we can't guarantee that any strange sounds that we hear won't have a normal (if drug induced) human source.

They are running 4 wheelers into remote areas to party and set off fireworks.  It's crazy.  

I've only had to dig out 2 deer ticks this season, found a few wood ticks before they were embedded. Was out bushwhacking for a few hours this afternoon and seem to have returned un-infested. No snakes to worry about here in Maine, Imagine that keeps it interesting. That's too bad about your buddy's dog.

I need to come to terms with my inner degenerate redneckmeth billy cause I've NO tolerance for that shite out in the woods. I become a real judgementalass--everyone should experience the wilds the way I do-- quietly, respectfully!!  I've not run into them where I go but if I did I'd be elsewhere quickly.

1 minute ago, Kiwakwe said:

I've only had to dig out 2 deer ticks this season, found a few wood ticks before they were embedded. Was out bushwhacking for a few hours this afternoon and seem to have returned un-infested. No snakes to worry about here in Maine, Imagine that keeps it interesting. That's too bad about your buddy's dog.

I need to come to terms with my inner degenerate redneckmeth billy cause I've NO tolerance for that shite out in the woods. I become a real judgementalass--everyone should experience the wilds the way I do-- quietly, respectfully!!  I've not run into them where I go but if I did I'd be elsewhere quickly.

Yeah.  We have pulled out of that area for the rest of the summer.  Took out our trail cams.  

This is an area where we have had some experiences before, but right now we wouldn't be able to honestly say that anything that we saw or heard couldn't be the result of people out messing around.  Usually this is an area with zero human presence, but I am assuming that is why they are going out there to raise Cain.  Looks like they are driving in from somewhere, and going up deep into the woods a few miles away to party.  Probably a secluded clearing, cause it's thick in there.

It's not in our immediate area, but it's close enough to hear their fireworks.  Scratch that area off for the rest of the summer.

19 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yeah.  We have pulled out of that area for the rest of the summer.  Took out our trail cams.  

This is an area where we have had some experiences before, but right now we wouldn't be able to honestly say that anything that we saw or heard couldn't be the result of people out messing around.  Usually this is an area with zero human presence, but I am assuming that is why they are going out there to raise Cain.  Looks like they are driving in from somewhere, and going up deep into the woods a few miles away to party.  Probably a secluded clearing, cause it's thick in there.

It's not in our immediate area, but it's close enough to hear their fireworks.  Scratch that area off for the rest of the summer.

Well, luckily you guys have no shortage of good habitat down there.

• Upvote 1