Do the police take squatch reports seriously?

DaleyWoodbeater

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Or they could have handled it just like they did and not antagonized LEOs and then went on their way after a civilized conversation and understanding.

He might have been a new trooper and thought the captain was just messing with him. I don't think he was being a ***** about it, I just think of all the things that he could have heard...that was not what he was expecting. Threw him for a loop.

People go hiking everyday here with guns and don't have hunting licenses. In fact, we just had a fatal bear attack in Hope, AK this last week. I'm all for bells and bear spray but if I only get to carry one item? Gun every time.

No, that exchange is standard. I had a similar exchange with a Trooper in 2005, but the questioning went both ways real quick. I actually WAS hunting, but hadn't taken an animal yet. I was driving along the trail with a rifle showing. The Trooper already had two "customers":pulled over, and asked me to wait until he was finished with them, so I got to listen in on their fun. Turns out the Trooper wasn't from that area and was actually lost. 

The bottom line is that looking at hunting licenses gives them a name for their notes (they can't really ask for a drivers license, can they?). They want to know who's out in their woods.......

I've had very good luck with Oregon's F&G enforcement.   They are an elite group of Oregon State Police troopers, IMHO the best of the best.   They generally patrol alone, sometimes out of radio contact with dispatch, no backup, and are dealing 100% with armed people.    I find them to be professional and courteous.    Other states have a separate game enforcement division that is part of F&W, not state police, and they do not always conduct themselves with the same professionalism.  

I have not dropped the "looking for bigfoot" line on one but that is coming.   

MIB

1 hour ago, MIB said:

I've had very good luck with Oregon's F&G enforcement.   They are an elite group of Oregon State Police troopers, IMHO the best of the best.   They generally patrol alone, sometimes out of radio contact with dispatch, no backup, and are dealing 100% with armed people.    I find them to be professional and courteous.    Other states have a separate game enforcement division that is part of F&W, not state police, and they do not always conduct themselves with the same professionalism.  

MIB

What's your typical response?

BFF Patron

I would have a difficult time producing a hunting license since I have never ever had one.  I guess that would have been a problem for me in Alaska.  

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

What's your typical response?

To what question?   From whom?    What context?

Edit to add: Oregon, though a "blue" state, is pretty gun-friendly.    Our state constitution allows us to carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise, when we're hunting, fishing, or hiking, or going to or from those or a shooting range.   Moreover, we are a "shall-issue" state regarding CHLs.    If we apply, our county sheriff MUST issue the permit unless there is a reason not to, we do not have to justify our perceived need.    The conditions that would stop a CHL would also make it illegal to purchase or possess firearms ... a felony record or domestic abuse / assault charge. 

So the question I think you are asking has to be considered in that context.   

MIB

Edited by MIB

2 minutes ago, MIB said:

To what question?   From whom?    What context?

To Oregon's F&G folks while you're out in the woods and run into them. You said sometime you'd tell/ask about BF.

Sorry, I was editing ... my modified response might address part of your question.  

The F&G enforcement folks ... OSP, in other words, have never asked that question.    They sometimes ask what caliber or what scope I chose, never "why."   ODFW has but it is pretty infrequent and it is an informal discussion, not an enforcement situation.

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, SWWASAS said:

I would have a difficult time producing a hunting license since I have never ever had one.  I guess that would have been a problem for me in Alaska.  

It wouldn't be a problem. Just do like Bean's boat skipper and tell them that you're not hunting.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:34 PM, MIB said:

MIB

My local county in Idaho has a deputy that is tasked with driving around the mountains alone in a 4x4, making contact with hunters and other outdoorsmen.  He is called the Woods Patrol deputy and it is a sweet job.  I know this because my brother did this for a couple of years.  He knows all the best huckleberry picking spots, best hunting spots, and what areas to avoid due to prolific banjo music, if you get my drift.

He's now a Detective and misses his days driving around in a Jeep in the middle of nowhere.

Admin

Sounds like the best job in law enforcement!

7 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

My local county in Idaho has a deputy that is tasked with driving around the mountains alone in a 4x4, making contact with hunters and other outdoorsmen.  He is called the Woods Patrol deputy and it is a sweet job.  I know this because my brother did this for a couple of years.  He knows all the best huckleberry picking spots, best hunting spots, and what areas to avoid due to prolific banjo music, if you get my drift.

He's now a Detective and misses his days driving around in a Jeep in the middle of nowhere.

Does he believe?

Seems like he should have had some experiences before?

There are some things that are important about law enforcement.  Most DNR officers have jurisdiction through out the state. Just like the State Police where as most sheriffs jurisdiction is within the county. and the local police is within the city limits. So DNR officers have allot of authority within the state. DNR officers have allot of responsibilities. I give them and the State Police allot of credit. But I also give allot of credit to all law enforcement since they are all putting their life on the line to keep us civilians safe . Especially where I live in the city of Detroit. I have seen the DNR ride around in the city and have helped our fine officers of Detroit ,Michigan. My prayers go out to them to keep them safe as they do their job.

12 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Does he believe?

Seems like he should have had some experiences before?

Absolutely not.  His lack of seeing anything in all his years in the woods as a hunter and as a deputy pretty much cemented his belief that they don't exist.

5 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Absolutely not.  His lack of seeing anything in all his years in the woods as a hunter and as a deputy pretty much cemented his belief that they don't exist.

That's why I asked. You'd think he would've seen or experienced SOMETHING.