Do the police take squatch reports seriously?

DaleyWoodbeater

10 hours ago, Will said:

Been an avid hunter all my life, been a logger for the past 24 years. Never seen a copperhead snake. I’m hour or so outside DC, they’re supposed to be abundant here.

That's incredible. I found one on my first trip on Skyline Drive, and it was even late October.

DFA8A235-2789-44BD-B2AE-933AAF4B1C93.jpeg

Funny you should say that, Hunster. I live in a state with 30,000 black bears (21 years now) and saw my first one on Skyline Drive in the Spring of 2018. I need to get out more ;) 

Edited by hiflier

Admin

We have probably seen at least five bears on Skyline Drive over the years. Last year walking the dog down our dirt road at dusk, found a baby copperhead laying in the road, maybe six inches long and no thicker than a #2 pencil. We let it be. A few years back at the Big Meadow Ranger station, I was looking through the guest book there that people can write their animal sightings in. On a page several days previously, there was an entry that said, saw bigfoot at such and such a place on Skyline Drive. Real or a joke? I have no idea, but thought it was interesting to say the least.

Oh yeah, although we did not see him, a bear came through our yard a couple of years ago and took down our bird feeders. He/she keeps bothering our neighbors on a frequent basis. Got a pic of one on my game cam that is 50-75 yards from the house.

Alaska is definitely the land of bears, all three North American species. I couldn't possibly even remember how many black and brown bears I've seen in 44 years here, but I've never seen a polar bear in the wild (I avoid the Arctic Ocean coastal plain, because it's just not my cup of tea up there). I kicked up two grizzlies at close range less than two months ago, and I'm going bear hunting again tomorrow for 4 days. But despite that, I can't seem to get a shot at a mature brown bear boar during an open season in an open area. They are legally well protected.

In that same time I've seen two wolverines and two martens, but not once in Alaska seen anything that I could call a sasquatch footprint, and this is a land of mud well conducive for leaving prints. I can only surmise that they don't exist in southcentral Alaska, unless at extremely low densities in the most remote coastal areas. Even then, with the amount of snow along the coast here, they would almost certainly have to hibernate like bears due to the absolute dearth of food for months. Southeast Alaska is very different than up here, though, and at the extreme southern end of the Alexander Archipelago there are no brown bears to compete with or protect from as well. And, sure enough, that's where Alaskan reports and tradition are highest.

• Like 1

Copperheads are truly beautiful animals.

Best admired from a distance. SE Nebraska is the furthermost reach of their territory. Along with timber rattlers.

13 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:
13 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

I was mushroom hunting a couple of years ago in an area that was pretty remote.  Single muddy road into the area about two miles off the "main" gravel road and 15 miles from the nearest town.  I drove down the muddy road to where it dead-ended at a nice little clearing that someone had camped in a few times; campfire spot built and some leftover firewood.  I parked there, then started searching up the draw that was heavily wooded and contained a little creek.  I was all alone, except for my great dane/lab mix and there were no trails, other than game trails.  I'd been there about 45 minutes, my eyes glued to the ground looking for Morel mushrooms when I got the sense that something was watching me.  My dog also seemed to be looking into the brush, but didn't growl.

I was so convinced I was being watched that I actually took pictures of the dense brush where my dog was looking just in case...

I searched an area of about 50 yards wide along the small stream and went up in the dense woods about 500 yards.

About 15 minutes after feeling like I was being watched, I was along the stream bed and spotted a boot print in the mud along the stream.  It was a smaller print from a hiking boot and was super fresh.  Like within 20 minutes fresh with water still seeping into it.  The direction of travel indicated the person had come from the ridge top, down into the draw where I was searching for mushroom, then crossed the stream and back up the other side of the draw, all while I was less than 200 yards away and never heard or saw them.  

It was weird to encounter someone that far into the woods, with no trails or roads, that was completely off-trail, and able to elude my detection.  But, apparently my dog was aware of them, but he was a big friendly guy and rarely ever barked at anyone.

QR5lqymtSvm0LQRkG9fFPQ.jpg

E9I63PnRRWK0DT1MpHuBMw.jpg

E9I63PnRRWK0DT1MpHuBMw.jpg

Have these photos been thoroughly scanned for blobsquatches?

21 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Bet the troll didn't expect any decent, entertaining, conversation when he started the thread.

Why do you think he's a troll? Seems like a legit poster?

14 hours ago, Will said:

Been an avid hunter all my life, been a logger for the past 24 years. Never seen a copperhead snake. I’m hour or so outside DC, they’re supposed to be abundant here.

Turns out copperheads are adapted to living in developed areas. Here in Mass. the parking lot of a large health-care related business, visible from the highway south of Boston, is a known copperhead mating area! @Will, you might get your chance during their mating season, Feb - May and in the warm fall. @VAFooter, kudos for leaving the baby copper unharmed.

BTW, we’ve strayed far from original topic of LEOs. Maybe need a “critter sightings” thread.

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Best admired from a distance........

Yeah, but their camo coloration is absolutely perfect for an eastern hardwood forest floor, especially in autumn. It would be incredibly easy to step on one of these guys without realizing it. 

I got bit by a very small rattlesnake like that; he was laying out in plain sight, but perfectly camouflaged. It ruined much more than my day........

Admin
2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Best admired from a distance. SE Nebraska is the furthermost reach of their territory. Along with timber rattlers.

Feel free to come down, load up a semi with them, and take them back to NE.  :lol:

I try to stay out of their area during the summer. I have not noticed any on our property, but we have six acres of woodland, so I know they are there. My biggest concern is one of the dogs will have a run in with one. I have seen a number of your garden variety black snakes though.

@wiiawiwb

I do cherish those sightings, fully aware of what a privilege it is to live in a place where that's possible. Besides hunting, I've spent many, many days in the back country, prospecting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and just wandering to explore. It's all a great antidote to the pressures of modern life. A few days in the woods soothes away weeks of stress for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, Huntster said:

Alaska is definitely the land of bears, all three North American species. I couldn't possibly even remember how many black and brown bears I've seen in 44 years here, but I've never seen a polar bear in the wild (I avoid the Arctic Ocean coastal plain, because it's just not my cup of tea up there). I kicked up two grizzlies at close range less than two months ago, and I'm going bear hunting again tomorrow for 4 days. But despite that, I can't seem to get a shot at a mature brown bear boar during an open season in an open area. They are legally well protected.

In that same time I've seen two wolverines and two martens, but not once in Alaska seen anything that I could call a sasquatch footprint, and this is a land of mud well conducive for leaving prints. I can only surmise that they don't exist in southcentral Alaska, unless at extremely low densities in the most remote coastal areas. Even then, with the amount of snow along the coast here, they would almost certainly have to hibernate like bears due to the absolute dearth of food for months. Southeast Alaska is very different than up here, though, and at the extreme southern end of the Alexander Archipelago there are no brown bears to compete with or protect from as well. And, sure enough, that's where Alaskan reports and tradition are highest.

Just above that archipelago, those on the island of Kootznoowoo claim to have the largest bears in the world including one, called Grandfather, that is estimated to be 13'+ standing.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, Huntster said:

That's incredible. I found one on my first trip on Skyline Drive, and it was even late October.

Agreed, I’m quite amazed at never seeing one. 

When ever I come across bear droppings, I inspect them to see what they are eating. One time I found whole baby bear cub feet in them.

• Sad 1