Can this be right? FLIR for < $100 ??

NorthWind

It's probably a scam site.  

The social media links don't take you to the company's pages.

When I was pricing FLIRs, I kept coming across these sorts of sites.  Generally, the whole website will disappear in a week. 

Their address comes back as an apartment building in Seattle, WA.  Not a good sign.  Most electronics companies are not ran out of an apartment.

I looked in to FLIR recently saw prices from $200-$350 for iphone connected units.  I generally do not get out in the woods in the summer due to heat, ticks, and snakes, but plan on doing more backwoods hiking this fall when things cool off and a FLIR is on my todo list.

4 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

I looked in to FLIR recently saw prices from $200-$350 for iphone connected units.  I generally do not get out in the woods in the summer due to heat, ticks, and snakes, but plan on doing more backwoods hiking this fall when things cool off and a FLIR is on my todo list.

I would suggest dropping the extra couple of hundred bucks if possible and at least get the Scout TK instead of the phone unit.  @NorthWind has experience with both, iirc, so maybe he can chime in.  

I waited until I found one in sale from a legit company.  Saved a couple of bucks.

Admin

Just checking a couple of places quckly, it is currently $570 on Amazon, more at other places. Quite a deal you found there, buy me one too (I will send a check....)! Bezos started out selling books out of his garage, so just because it is an apartment, does not mean it is illlegit. It does say that they use PayPal, so if it is a fraud, you can get your money back.... 

But as the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true......  

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2020/7/9/is-emojirags-a-scam-review-of-the-online-store/

"July 15, 2020 at 9:08 AM by an anonymous user from: Houston, Texas, United States

its a complete fake. I should've realized the price was really too good to be true. I have opened a dispute with paypal as well as my CC company."

"July 10, 2020 at 5:44 AM by an anonymous user from: Shamokin, Pennsylvania, United States

The area code for the phone number is a Pennsylvania area code. However, the business address is in Washington state. If something seems too good to be true it probably is."

"July 10, 2020 at 12:06 AM by an anonymous user from: Miami, Florida, United States

I lost one hundred dollars thinking I was buying a Nokia 7.2 the emojirags.com has up for sale. Since they make you go through PayPal I thought they were legit, I can't believe PayPal allowed the sale to go on,? The telephone is fake just like the site. it should be taken down."

Edited by Kiwakwe
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Just checking a couple of places quckly, it is currently $570 on Amazon, more at other places. Quite a deal you found there, buy me one too (I will send a check....)! Bezos started out selling books out of his garage, so just because it is an apartment, does not mean it is illlegit. It does say that they use PayPal, so if it is a fraud, you can get your money back.... 

But as the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true......  

I think that I got mine for a little over $400, but I looked for deals on it for a couple of months before I pulled the trigger.

We had a crazy amount of activity on a hiking trip...and afterwards we redoubled our efforts in looking into these phenomena and got serious.  We added a lot of equipment in a relatively short amount of time...so I tried to get things on sale to soften the financial hit.  

I agree that it's best to stick with name brands when it comes to recreational-use, hand-held thermal equipment.  Today, there are several players in this industry and two of the bigger names in the hand-held thermal market are FLIR and Pulsar.  FLIR has been the leader in this industry.

FLIR was also smart enough to see an opportunity in the outdoor enthusiast market and have a line that is affordable starting with the Scout TK.  I prefer Pulsar in the $2,000 - $5,000 market.  However, like all technology, it evolves quickly. We're now seeing 12-micron units, an improvement from the 17-micron ones. When comparing units you still have to take into account the native magnification and field of view as both will play a role in which unit is right for you.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

@wiiawiwb

I remember seeing you post about your Pulsar.  I am thinking about eventually upgrading from the Scout TK into a Pulsar.  The Scout does a great job with identifying heat signatures, but I want something with more clarity that can still record images.  

Which model did you go with?

Found my FLIR TK Ocean for $499. But here's a recent true story that everyone here can appreciate. A while back (June) there was a discussion on the inReach satellite device for emergencies or contact with a friend/family member when out of cell range. I saw one advertised for $99.99 and jumped on it. Again, Seattle, WA and through PayPal. After non-delivery I emailed the seller as instructed by PayPal and got no response. I put in a claim and Paypal said they would contact the owner. The Prologue of this is PayPal ended up reimbursing me the full cost.

PayPal is a great service but after reading the three accounts that BRB posted, which sounded so much like my experience, I thought I'd pass my story along. Someone(s) out there are scamming PayPal and I will bet dollars to donuts that PayPal is not happy and has enough cash on hand to find this/these persons and take care of things. It also makes me wonder about how many thousands of PayPal customers are filing similar reimbursement claims.

So, yeah, go to a legitimate source for products because there no such thing as a free lunch out there. Beyond that, if the site is unfamiliar ALWAYS use PayPal for any transactions. Plus you get a record of everything which keeps one clear of any off-color legal repercussions. Just tossing my two rocks into the camp from first-hand experience :)    

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Admin

Great advice hiflier! I am one of those who looks for the best deal possible, so I skirt the line at times. But always with Ebay or Paypal so I can get my money back in case of issues...