Can this be right? FLIR for < $100 ??

NorthWind

27 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I believe with a thermal imager you have the ability to see handprints on trees or footprints on a path if they are recent.

Correct, the heat from your hand is transferred to the tree and then slowly releases IR radiation as it cools which is picked up by the thermal imager. Same with recent footprints (not shoe of course) under the right conditions.

Norse @norseman - I looked at your Trijicon scope and it appears to be a hybrid.  I don't think that clear image of the 2 guys siting on a truck is FLIR but instead active IR.  If you watch the video they seem to bounce around quickly between modes.  I think the IR intensity is the eight numbers on the left side of the screen but it is never explained anywhere.  It is really hard to tell from their spec sheet so I could be wrong.  BTW, it is over $5K and probably worth every penny if you are military, big time hunting guide, or rich enough not to care. 

Edited by NCBFr

Or focused enough TO care. I think that about sums up our Norseman.

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

I believe with a thermal imager you have the ability to see handprints on trees or footprints on a path if they are recent.

My grandkids love to stand on my tile floor barefoot and then look at their foot signatures when I hand them the thermal. They like the dog's prints, too.

Edited by hiflier

2 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Correct, the heat from your hand is transferred to the tree and then slowly releases IR radiation as it cools which is picked up by the thermal imager. Same with recent footprints (not shoe of course) under the right conditions.

Norse @norseman - I looked at your Trijicon scope and it appears to be a hybrid.  I don't think that clear image of the 2 guys siting on a truck is FLIR but instead active IR.  If you watch the video they seem to bounce around quickly between modes.  I think the IR intensity is the eight numbers on the left side of the screen but it is never explained anywhere.  It is really hard to tell from their spec sheet so I could be wrong.  BTW, it is over $5K and probably worth every penny if you are military, big time hunting guide, or rich enough not to care. 

I think they are just jumping through different color palettes?

Here is the technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbolometer

And yes it’s 9 grand. Heavy investment. But ridiculous tool. My buddy has a 5k one and you could watch mice run around in my field. I didn’t like his FOV though. It was easier to use the scope with a usb cable attached to a phone. The Hunter model from Trijicon is a 60mm objective. That should solve the problem.

8 hours ago, norseman said:

The Hunter model from Trijicon is a 60mm objective. That should solve the problem

As we all know, FOV is important and 60mm is nothing to sneeze at. Harder to lead the shot at distance when the target is on the move in a narrow FOV. 60 mm is a generous feature in that regard.

Admin
14 hours ago, hiflier said:

So it would seem that having NV coupled with an IR emitter (when needed) AND a thermal imager does more or less cover all the visual bases that a BF researcher could need. Add in an audio device and research in the field would be nicely rounded out.

Correct. So for anywhere from $10-15K, you could outfit yourself with top of the line equipment that covers anything you might need in the field. Of course most folks do not have $10-15K to drop on this subject, I know I do not. One consideration for me would be to get goggles instead of a scope or monocular in order to keep hands free. Something on the order of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Armasight-Helios-Thermal-Imaging-Bi-Ocular/dp/B00IBIO2QQ/?tag=thermogears-20

Currently $4500 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Armasight-Command-Pro-336-4-16x50-60-Hz-Thermal-Imaging-Bi-Ocular-FLIR-Tau-2/264556857308?hash=item3d98d147dc:g:sUwAAOSwDudeIl0G

Most equipment of this type and quality is subject to export controls, so no out of country shipments.

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Again correct. I know that in intel uses, they can tell when an aircraft or vehicle was there, just from the differing temps of the shadows they cast before leaving.

44 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

So for anywhere from $10-15K, you could outfit yourself with top of the line equipment that covers anything you might need in the field

Or just hire a hunter.......

Collectively I can't even imagine what folks have spent on equipment in the pursuit of the Sasquatch. But I will say that the total monies would have mounted quite a nicely outfitted private expedition toward discovery?

Admin

Of course if you go with a fusion device (combines different technologies into a coherent image), your costs go up:

https://www.nightvision4less.com/itt-exelis-dsnvg-dual-sensor-night-vision-goggle-anpsq-20.aspx

There is equipment out there you can spend a fortune on if money is no object.  For me, there is the law of diminishing returns.

I wanted a thermal that would do two things. Provide me with the size and shape of something out there and whether it is bipedal. If I am able to capture something on thermal, it will certainly be 100 yards or less. That made the financial cost a bit more palatable. I can go back another time and measure approximate heights and sizes.

My Pulsar does exactly what I want it to do and spending more wouldn't have given me the return for additional dollars spent. There are other pieces of equipment tugging at my shirt tails to buy.

Admin
15 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

There are other pieces of equipment tugging at my shirt tails to buy.

Unfortunately, that always seems to be the case!   :lol:

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

My Pulsar does exactly what I want it to do and spending more wouldn't have given me the return for additional dollars spent.

I noticed that the Pulsar company has a free app called "Stream Vision". One can control the thermal unit and stream in real time to a smart phone ( tablet? ).  Have you tried  Stream Vision?

I have not and am not convinced it is a good fit for me. Using an app to control the unit isn't why I got it in the first place.  I want to be there live, sensing, feeling, hearing, and seeing what's going on. Watching something via streaming on a cell phone seems like controlling a drone from afar. I want to be the fighter jet immersed in the dangers of war.  In the middle of the action experiencing all it offer.

Also, the feedback from across the pond is that Stream Vision is notorious for losing connection:

https://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22640

One other reason...I'm also reluctant to update the firmware if my Helion is working well. Many people have updated their XQ firmware to take advantage of "Image detail Boost" with success. Murphy's Law keeps me from downloading the 2020 firmware because things are working just fine.

20 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

I noticed that the Pulsar company has a free app called "Stream Vision". One can control the thermal unit and stream in real time to a smart phone ( tablet? ).  Have you tried  Stream Vision?

You would also need to be in cell range right? Most of the time when I am in the field, there is no coverage. 

23 hours ago, NorthWind said:

You would also need to be in cell range right? Most of the time when I am in the field, there is no coverage. 

No. The equipment sets up a Wi-Fi connection to a smartphone / tablet..  You have to teach the thermal and phone to talk to each other. Short range stuff, about 15 meters. It operates at 2.4 GHz using the standard 802.11 b/g.  A downloadable manual may be available from Pulsar for further investigation of remote operation. These scenarios always require more batteries / power banks for long term operation.

25 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

No. The equipment sets up a Wi-Fi connection to a smartphone / tablet..  You have to teach the thermal and phone to talk to each other. Short range stuff, about 15 meters. It operates at 2.4 GHz using the standard 802.11 b/g.  A downloadable manual may be available from Pulsar for further investigation of remote operation. These scenarios always require more batteries / power banks for long term operation.

Well, thanks for the info. I don't see a need for this in my squatching world if the range is only 15 meters. Might as well just go to it and look at the SD card.