Opinions on the BFRO?

vinchyfoot

Admin

So just an estimate here, 20 guests at $400 for 15 expeditions, makes for $120,000 per year in revenue. I have no idea how much they take in from merchandise sales, probably not a whole lot. And the only expense I can see for them is the website; there are no paid staff as far as I know. They should be able to run the website for $20K/year I would think, although I have no idea how much it really takes. Left over is a nice little chunk of change for the boss. Congrats to him for setting up a profitable small business.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

I bet they're a non-profit organization.

I hope you didn't bet the farm...

Every tax-exempt organization files with the IRS and the filings are public information. You can do a "look up" to see if they are registered as a tax-exempt organization.  Open up the link below then plug in "bigfoot", do a search, then look at the results. When you're done, plug in sasquatch and do the same.  Shockingly few organizations are listed.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

18 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

So just an estimate here, 20 guests at $400 for 15 expeditions, makes for $120,000 per year in revenue. I have no idea how much they take in from merchandise sales, probably not a whole lot. And the only expense I can see for them is the website; there are no paid staff as far as I know. They should be able to run the website for $20K/year I would think, although I have no idea how much it really takes. Left over is a nice little chunk of change for the boss. Congrats to him for setting up a profitable small business.

Oof. 

We need to up our game.  

"Join our professional outings in search of Earth's most mysterious creature!  Each guide is a certified member of the worldrenowned BFF!  Please make sure to visit our mobile gift shop at the conclusion of your trip!"

• Haha 2

More power to them.  Every business/organization spends money up front and devotes endless hours of time for which they are not paid a penny. Most fail...those who do survive are few and far between. They richly deserve the spoils of their efforts.  I consider it deferred compensation for the nights endured without a wink of sleep worrying how to make next week's payroll.

• Upvote 1

Admin

Very true. But Mr. Moneymaker is a lawyer, althougth I am unaware if he actually practices. I believe his wife is a doctor. So between the two of them, they are probably living a comfortable life, even in CA. The BFRO has little to no payroll to worry about. Whatever else one may think of him, I do believe that he is a shrewd businessman and his efforts to market the BFRO and BF in general, have gone very, very well.

If memory serves me, MM left California and went to Ohio in the early or mid 1980's to attend law school and get a degree but didn't finish. While there I met Don Keating and then supposedly had his own personal encounter. The rest, true or false, is history. What we do know, though, is that Don Keating lied about his own 1985 encounter and five years later started the Ohio Bigfoot Conference. He was then was inducted into the new-that-year Ohio Bigfoot Conference Hall of Fame in 2012- marking his 20 years of organizing the Conference. At that same time Peter Byrne was inducted as an honoree. The OBC Hall of Fame was set up mainly to honor Ohio's researchers and investigators. Peter Byrne, and later John Green, Bob Gimlin and Loren Coleman were not Ohioans and so they received "honorary" inductions. 

Edited by hiflier

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

......Every tax-exempt organization files with the IRS and the filings are public information. You can do a "look up" to see if they are registered as a tax-exempt organization.  Open up the link below then plug in "bigfoot", do a search, then look at the results. When you're done, plug in sasquatch and do the same.  Shockingly few organizations are listed.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

There were.......none!

Just because I knew you were all wondering, a mountain gorilla safari in Rwanda costs........US$1500.......per day, per person, and that's after you get to Volcanoes National Park headquarters in Kinigi.

https://www.visitrwanda.com/interests/gorilla-tracking/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsan5BRAOEiwALzomX2jBdAOaXFHar8GckCZe6v6FY_9NeSkkyBgCKZJIGzMXH6-O36K39BoCvk0QAvD_BwE#

It also does not include accomodations, which also look very expensive:

https://www.visitrwanda.com/tourism/plan-a-trip/accommodation/

Maybe listening to sasquatches wood knock and scream in the night at a rate of $400 per weekend is a bargain.

2 hours ago, VAfooter said:

They should be able to run the website for $20K/year I would think

They could run their own web site on their own server using apache and save big. I have always had a problem with BRFO charging people to go on their expeditions with out providing meals as host to these expeditions. They have turned bigfooting into a enterprise. Who is to say that some of the things that happen on these expeditions may not be man made to further the income of future expeditions.  I do not want to get into say that they might be hoaxing. Since I know by hearing others speak highly about how they teach those who go on these expeditions the fundamentals of bigfooting. As well as I see this as a baby sitting service to those who have maybe never stepped into the woods. Maybe for those who should have no business being out there in the first place.

As far as the BFRO as a whole they are a great place who started  the this research in the first place. They have one of the biggest data resources available on the internet. Historical  data base of known sightings.  where we all can go and look up up known sightings in different parts of the states. If MM did create this to be an enterprise then he did a great job and kudo's to him for doing what he did. It must have taken allot of team work to put this together. So to being a pioneer on the internet in setting up such a project as this . We should all be greatfull for being the first in this field. Not just anyone can come up with such an idea as this in that era. A big Kudo's. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Good thing I don't go sharkin' ;) 

The San Diego fleet offers incredible 2 day to 3 week fishing expeditions into Mexican waters for $500 to $8K, all inclusive. They run down as far as 1000 miles south.

Here's a bargain: Alaska salmon shark fishing charter for $450.

http://alaskan4starcharters.com/shark.htm

FCF843D7-F5C2-4CFA-AE3E-B02D2132E5C3.jpeg

E906D4A7-74FC-4FB4-9627-0C75F90E3B7D.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Just because I knew you were all wondering, a mountain gorilla safari in Rwanda costs........US$1500.......per day, per person, and that's after you get to Volcanoes National Park headquarters in Kinigi.

https://www.visitrwanda.com/interests/gorilla-tracking/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsan5BRAOEiwALzomX2jBdAOaXFHar8GckCZe6v6FY_9NeSkkyBgCKZJIGzMXH6-O36K39BoCvk0QAvD_BwE#

It also does not include accomodations, which also look very expensive:

https://www.visitrwanda.com/tourism/plan-a-trip/accommodation/

Maybe listening to sasquatches wood knock and scream in the night at a rate of $400 per weekend is a bargain.

I think the Gorillas are the bargain.

After "discovery", expeditions with habitated sasquatches will cost many thousands of dollars, if the government will even allow them.

11 hours ago, VAfooter said:

Very true. But Mr. Moneymaker is a lawyer, althougth I am unaware if he actually practices. I believe his wife is a doctor. So between the two of them, they are probably living a comfortable life, even in CA. The BFRO has little to no payroll to worry about. Whatever else one may think of him, I do believe that he is a shrewd businessman and his efforts to market the BFRO and BF in general, have gone very, very well.

He never passed the Bar, just went to Law School

• gigantor locked this topic