Opinions on the BFRO?

vinchyfoot

Admin
24 minutes ago, Redbone said:

There is a college for this field?

Sorry, I said colleague, google voice printed college.

• Haha 1

I have mixed feelings about the BFRO.

It's not for me, but (as I have to occasionally remind myself) that doesn't mean that it doesn't provide a service to others.  A few posters that I respect here on the BFF have had positive things to say about the BFRO, so it does bring value to the field and offers a service to those who might not get out into the woods otherwise.

If they are misrepresenting their investigation efforts, then that's pretty shady...but, at the same time, I am not taking the time and expense to put up a publicly available database like they are...so, I really don't have a dog in the fight.

If anyone finds what they do so distasteful, then start your own group of researchers and show the BFRO how it's done.  

I think that Matt Moneymaker probably isn't someone who I would care to spend any time around, but the guy has dedicated his life to this subject.  You can't deny that.  He makes a living doing this...and I think that is the cause of most of the jealousy.  Same thing with Wes Germer or any other figure who gets mentioned and them immediately character assassinated on here.

I will say that the constant negativity here concerning everyone and anything in the Bigfootsphere is getting pretty old.  I know that I have been guilty of it in the past, but it's gotten pretty deep here.  I know that division runs pretty deep in this community, but people who spend all of their time bashing others involved in the field is no different than Bigfoot skeptics who spend all of their time trying to debunk or ridicule people who know or believe.  

3 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Sorry, I said colleague, google voice printed college.

You are ignoring a great side business idea here.  Diplomas are cheap to print.

• Upvote 3

SSR Team
13 hours ago, Huntster said:

Good!

Exactly what I fear.

He has no more responsibility than you or I. You want to point out those with the responsibility to save the world? Look no further than government. That is specifically their jobs. We pay them out of our pockets, and are actually forced to do so. That includes wildlife management, forest management, public safety, aboriginal human rights, interplanetary communication, interplanetary diplomacy, even regulating the Matt Moneymakers of the world, and every other area which bigfoot could possibly occupy.

And all of those folks are so quiet about this entire affair that you can hear a pin drop. 

Bang on the money with all of that Mr Hunster ! 

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

I think we should focus our energy in a positive manner.

Bashing one of our colleges who has contributed to the field much more than many of us, is not the way to do it.

@vinchyfoot seems to be waging a personal vendetta against MM, that's the only time he posts, to bash MM.

What's up with that?

One can call out the issues they see in the Community without having an agenda.

• Downvote 2

I had a vendetta a while back when I called out Don Keating. But then he was caught lying about his encounter, too. Had he not been such a high profile in Bigfootdom and not so well known for starting the Ohio Bigfoot Conference, running it for 20 years, with all the other heavy hitting speakers, I probably wouldn't have gone after him. But at the time he really shook my trust in those I thought I looked up to. Result? I look up to no one now and make my own way for solving this mystery. I learned a valuable lesson so maybe in the end  it was all for the good?

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

If anyone finds what they do so distasteful, then start your own group of researchers and show the BFRO how it's done. 

You said what I wanted to say... upvote for you!

I know of a few BFRO guys that did this. Nobody knows about them... https://www.lowlandsbigfoot.org/

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

Are you doing anything to help fix the issues, or just complaining?  Are you taking new people out?  Showing them how to read tracks or use some of the equipment?

You have mentioned before your dislike for n00bs in the Bigfoot world, so where is a new person with no experience and no real outdoors experience supposed to go to be involved with the field?  

I dislike most groups because they are not for me, but I dislike elitism even more.

7 minutes ago, Redbone said:

You said what I wanted to say... upvote for you!

I know of a few BFRO guys that did this. Nobody knows about them... https://www.lowlandsbigfoot.org/

I am not going to lie...I have never heard of them.  I will check out their site today.

21 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I am not going to lie...I have never heard of them.  I will check out their site today.

All of my audio recording ideas and efforts started with Steve Moon. (one of the Lowlands BF founders)

After learning everything he was doing, I set out to do the same thing with MUCH less expensive equipment.

I accomplished that, but his setups can run for months. Mine will run for a week. Mine is a lot lighter and easier to hide though.

image.png.a64f7cd31c368bd4f952b10919c5cd58.pngimage.thumb.png.5cd0e346d76b3161e750f00c426e6cd9.png

1 minute ago, Redbone said:

All of my audio recording ideas and efforts started with Steve Moon.

After learning everything he was doing, I set out to do the same thing with MUCH less expensive equipment.

I accomplished that, but his setups can run for months. Mine will run for a week. Mine is a lot lighter and easier to hide though.

Btw, I am looking to pick up either a Sony or Olympus digital recorder.  Something small and under a hundred bucks.  I want one with a light up screen though, so I can operate it on the move in the dark.  Preferably something with an SD card slot.  

I have been using Evistr recorders because they work well, can be charged in the field, and are cheap enough to be disposable...but, I want to try a better quality recorder to go with my Zoom.

I don't want to clog up the thread, so if you have any suggestions feel free to message me.

29 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Are you doing anything to help fix the issues, or just complaining?  Are you taking new people out?  Showing them how to read tracks or use some of the equipment?

You have mentioned before your dislike for n00bs in the Bigfoot world, so where is a new person with no experience and no real outdoors experience supposed to go to be involved with the field?  

I dislike most groups because they are not for me, but I dislike elitism even more.

I know several that could be considered new, and have either taken them out or offered to, but temper that with maintaining op-sec over areas that have ongoing situations. 

BFF Patron
1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Your comments triggered some thoughts I have had.       At this point in time I cannot think of anyone,  famous conference speaker or not,   who should be considered an expert.  No one knows enough to be called an expert.    Some, but not all, may have had an encounter but in most cases that was decades ago and they learned little other than they were scared to death during the experience.    The only experts are that in their own mind.      So noobs,  who have not been exposed to the "experts" and their techniques, may well stumble onto methods that work for them.   There is no one I would put on a pillar other than perhaps Meldrum with regard to footprints.    Even at that, I disagree with him about several things due to my own personal experience.    While the BFRO as an outdoors adventure business,  may be a good introduction for a someone to learn footprint casting,  outdoorsmanship,  gear,  and the lore,   nothing they teach as far as field techniques seem to promote success if that is defined as anything beyond trading woodnocks.    Footprint finds are the single most posititive indicator of BF activity,  and promoting night field work as a principal field technique,   severly restricts the ability of those in the field to find them.    Night photography is difficult,   FLIR is low resolution and not definitive,   so photographic evidence is unlikely to be gathered at night.   Similarly,  you are very unlikely to have a visual sighting at night beyond a few yards.    With a species as good as BF at human avoidance,  getting close enough to see a BF at night is very unlikely.     I simply cannot understand why the BFRO promotes most of their techiques.  The reason seems to be that the MM and the cast of FInding BIgfoot thinks that is how to do field work and that has trickled down to BFRO expedition teaching as field technique dogma.  

5 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Determined little miscreant, aren't you. E for Effort.

Edited by Incorrigible1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

I know several that could be considered new, and have either taken them out or offered to, but temper that with maintaining op-sec over areas that have ongoing situations. 

That's admirable.

But, one man's 'op-sec' is another man's 'shaping the narrative'.

A lot of people are upset with Moneymaker keeping details of accounts and areas private, while many of us do the exact same thing with our own areas.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Determined little miscreant, aren't you. E for Effort.

Miscreant for agreeing on someone making declarations without being on site for the report being less than acceptable? Really?

• Downvote 1

• gigantor locked this topic