The Cutlery Shoppe

Admin

Masterbarber, isn't that a chef's knife for carving a roast?

Yes it is. The all mighty Ginsu......I carry it exclusively in the kitchen.

On the road, I carry my Benchmade 9050SBK

Has anybody found a small, easy to use field sharpener that will put a 25 degree edge on a blade?

I use a Lansky to sharpen my blades, but it's not practical when in the field working on an animal as large as a moose in the brush. Most of the quickie sharpeners I've tried suck.

I agree. I don't have a small pocket sharpener that's worth a d a m n.

Look at this one though. I saw it today at the hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2JXOWKW3ZCCH9&colid=4YM7MN1Q469I

I almost bought it.

Maybe next week.

Nice selection of knives, Huntster. I know what you mean about cleaning folders after a bloody job. Usually when I'm hunting I carry a fixed blade Buck with a rubber textured grip and a hook on the reverse, just like the one you showed. It's got a 4 inch swept blade and works great on wild hogs.

Edited by Robert

Usually when I'm hunting I carry a fixed blade Buck with a rubber textured grip and a hook on the reverse, just like the one you showed. It's got a 4 inch swept blade and works great on wild hogs.

I saw a documentary the other night about those hogs taking over in many places. I also saw a video of guys shooting them at night with an M1A and night scope in an open field. Looked like a kick in the pants!

I agree. I don't have a small pocket sharpener that's worth a d a m n.

Look at this one though. I saw it today at the hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2JXOWKW3ZCCH9&colid=4YM7MN1Q469I

I almost bought it.

Maybe next week.

I have one, Robert. It works like a charm. It is my field sharpener.

Has anybody found a small, easy to use field sharpener that will put a 25 degree edge on a blade?

I use a Lansky to sharpen my blades, but it's not practical when in the field working on an animal as large as a moose in the brush. Most of the quickie sharpeners I've tried suck.

Hunster, check out this link. These types of sharpeners work pretty well, but if you do buy one, just go lightly. They have tungsten steel sharpeners and can take off alot of steel if you push too hard.

http://www.accusharp.com/

These types of sharpeners are spring loaded, so they will follow the angle already set on your knife.

One thing though, they aren't recommended for single bevel edges like found on alot of tantos style blades. Single bevel meaning they are only sharpened on one edge.

For the single bevel type, check the link in one of my above posts for the diamond sharpener like the one that I use. With a little practice, they can put a wicked edge on a blade.

I had an Accusharp and it was excellent. I understand you can now get replacement sharpening blades for it now. Too bad I found that out after I had worn mine out and threw it away.

Devoured, I picked up one of those Smith diamond stones you recommended yesterday. It's amazing. It will remove a lot of steel very fast if you are not careful. I used the rough side to grind down and create an new tip on the bent tip on a kitchen knife with it, and it worked like a charm.

I saw a documentary the other night about those hogs taking over in many places. I also saw a video of guys shooting them at night with an M1A and night scope in an open field. Looked like a kick in the pants!

Have you seen the video shot in Texas from a helicopter yet? It's on Utube. Some farmers pooled their money and hired a small 'copter and two shooters. It's about 10 minutes of flying over fields and shooting wild pigs with an AR15 and an AK47. You gotta see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE

Hunster, check out this link. These types of sharpeners work pretty well, but if you do buy one, just go lightly. They have tungsten steel sharpeners and can take off alot of steel if you push too hard.

http://www.accusharp.com/

These types of sharpeners are spring loaded, so they will follow the angle already set on your knife.

Bingo! That is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks!

Huntster, on 25 September 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

Have you seen the video shot in Texas from a helicopter yet? It's on Utube. Some farmers pooled their money and hired a small 'copter and two shooters. It's about 10 minutes of flying over fields and shooting wild pigs with an AR15 and an AK47. You gotta see it.

I haven't seen that, but it sounds like the wolf shooters up here, which is a very hot political topic. Essentially, in just a few Alaska game management units, select hunters and flyers are selected from an applicant pool, and they're permitted to aerial hunt wolves. They fly around in Super Cubs in the winter and shoot wolves with shotguns loaded with buck shot from the plane. I've never done it, but have received photos from some guys who have.

I have the Gerber LMF as suggested prior. It's nice. I'm not a huge knife guy, but do buy one every now and then. I have a Buck folder (110) that I usually carry in the woods. I've had it for years, and years. It's so easy to carry it just goes where I go (meaning I almost always have it). The Gerber is nice, but since it's a fixed blade it's larger to carry, which isn't a bad thing. As a matter of fact I like to use a fixed blade more than a folder but a folder is easier to carry, so it usually gets carried. Anyway, a Buck folder (110) or a Buck fixed blade (can't remember...maybe 119) are both inexpensive knives. They aren't survival knives, but they work for knifing. Now that I think of it though, I had a Kabar that was a nice fixed blade. Hmm, might be easier to ask what knife not to buy since there are so many nice ones.

BTW, the Gerber LMF has a sharpner as part of the sheath.

I like that Gerber LMF. I might have to get one of those.

This is my favorite Buck for hunting, as I already mentioned, but here you can see it.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2924

I don't think I paid more than about $60 for mine. It's the sharpest fixed blade I have, and the gut hook / zipper is very useful.

I carry two ESEE (formerly RAT) fixed-blade knives which I consider to be of excellent quality. The RC-4 and Izusa are the ones I have and am looking at getting one or two others. After all, what self-respecting woodsman is not always on the lookout for another knife?

http://www.eseeknives.com/knives.htm

I'm reluctant to carry any folder because in my state it is far too easy to have it considered an illegal knife. If you snap your wrist while whipping your forearm at alarming speeds, and can unfold the blade and have it lock, you're in possession of an illegal weapon where I live. I could easily cause many folders to open even right off the retailer's shelf and so could a State Trooper looking to prove a point, so to speak.

I'm reluctant to carry any folder because in my state it is far too easy to have it considered an illegal knife. If you snap your wrist while whipping your forearm at alarming speeds, and can unfold the blade and have it lock, you're in possession of an illegal weapon where I live.

<Sigh>

What a depressing situation. I'm sure glad I don't live in such a draconian place.