The Cutlery Shoppe

Robert, glad you like your sharpener. So you bought the double sided one then eh? I might have to pick one of those up myself. I have the medium grit single sided model. You mentioned using your Smith to grind a new tip on a knife. I've used mine for all sorts of things besides sharpening. They are a good addition to any toolbox.

Hunster, I'm happy I could be of help. Hope that sharpener works out for ya.

I'm in kind of the same boat as Wi. I live in Mass and we have all sorts of laws when it comes to cutlery. No automatic openers, no balisong knives, no double edged blades and on and on and on.

I do carry a pretty good sized folder, but I've yet to have any problems with the law.

My work doesn't allow us to carry a folding knife, so I've been carrying my folder that takes regular utility knife blades. Since I got this job, I find myself carrying that knife more and more. It's obviously a tool more so than a weapon.

If the law in your area is a bit edgey when it comes to carrying a folder, give one of the utility knife types a try.

It was mentioned above that some folks dislike using a folder for dressing game because cleaning a folder can be hard. Here's a couple of methods that I use.

If your folder has an adjustable pivot pin, loosen it up a couple turns. Squirt some plain dish detergent in the pivot area and in the liner, then run it under hot water. Once the detergent is washed away, dry the knife as good as you can and then use a can of compressed air to blow out the remaining moisture.

The dish detergent, besides cleaning the knife, will grab onto alot of the junk that gets into the nooks and crannies of your folder and pull it out when you run the knife under water.

I happen to have a sonic jewelry cleaner that my wife uses for her jewelry, and I have used it to clean knives in the past. It works great, but I can't see going out and buying one just to clean a folding knife.

Another great way to clean a folder is to just throw it in the dishwasher. Make sure that your knife can hold up to the heat. Open the knife about half way and throw it on the top rack for a few cycles.

Just make sure that you really dry the knife off good. This is where the compressed air can really work well.

Your blade may be stainless and isn't prone to rust, but sometimes other parts may be. The pivot screw on my CRKT folder can and will rust. As will the other screws that hold the knife together.

I dropped CRKT an email about that issue, suggesting they use all stainless parts in their folders.

If you buy a knife and you find some sort of issue, send a message to the maker. I've found that most companies will welcome feedback about the products that they make, good or bad.

Edited by DevouredbyVermn

My work doesn't allow us to carry a folding knife, so I've been carrying my folder that takes regular utility knife blades. Since I got this job, I find myself carrying that knife more and more. It's obviously a tool more so than a weapon.

I even have one of those in my field meat care kit.

It was mentioned above that some folks dislike using a folder for dressing game because cleaning a folder can be hard. Here's a couple of methods that I use.

If your folder has an adjustable pivot pin, loosen it up a couple turns. Squirt some plain dish detergent in the pivot area and in the liner, then run it under hot water. Once the detergent is washed away, dry the knife as good as you can and then use a can of compressed air to blow out the remaining moisture.

The dish detergent, besides cleaning the knife, will grab onto alot of the junk that gets into the nooks and crannies of your folder and pull it out when you run the knife under water.

I happen to have a sonic jewelry cleaner that my wife uses for her jewelry, and I have used it to clean knives in the past. It works great, but I can't see going out and buying one just to clean a folding knife.

That's pretty much what I do: soak it in a sink full of soapy water, then blow it out with compressed air. It works well, but the fixed blades are a simple wash and wipe down with a rag. Since it is so much easier, I'm tending toward the fixed blades more and more.

Another great way to clean a folder is to just throw it in the dishwasher. Make sure that your knife can hold up to the heat. Open the knife about half way and throw it on the top rack for a few cycles.

I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Wiiawiwb, what state is that? Wisconsin?

The People's Republic of NYS. It may seem hard to believe but NYC is even worse. I wouldn't live in that NYC rat hole for all the tea in China.

Has anybody found a small, easy to use field sharpener that will put a 25 degree edge on a blade?

I use a Lansky to sharpen my blades, but it's not practical when in the field working on an animal as large as a moose in the brush. Most of the quickie sharpeners I've tried suck.

A whetstone. I realize "easy" is subjective, but if you get good with one, nothing else will match it.

17x7

That Ka-Bar knife is pretty sweet. One of the local gun shops seems to stock quite a few models of Ka-Bar knives and I had the chance to handle one for awhile.

Although it can be used for basically anything, it is meant for for defense.

Here's my take on things. A good quality blade can cost a few bucks, so I try and buy something that will allow for the most options for use. Again, you could use that knife to dress out a deer, but that's really not what it's meant for.

I like a good all around knife. I carry a SOG Tigershark in the field and it allows me to do all but the smallest tasks with ease. For the small stuff, that's where my folder comes in.

With some trial and error over the years, I've found the best option is to carry a fixed blade for the heavy work, a folder for the smaller stuff, and a multi-tool for fixing things.

Machetes can be a great tool, but to be honest, I've never really had the need for one. Again, it's kind of limiting as to its use.

There is a tool that I've looked into and I would love to pick one up. It's called the Woodsmans Pal. It's a short blade machete that has a brush hook as well as a type of hatchet blade. Be great around the campsite for gathering wood or clearing paths or campsites. http://www.protoolindustries.net/woodmanpal/

I will agree with 17 that a whetstone is the best and easiest option for sharpening. Just realize that there is a learning curve that comes with using stones for sharpening. I've sharpened knives for people quite often, and alot of the time a close examination of the edge shows that they have a had time finding the correct angle. I've literally seen knives that looked like everytime they sharpened, they hit a different angle.

Again, if your knife doesn't get alot of use, there really is no need to sharpen. I have a relative that wants me to sharpen his knife every year before deer season. He carries it for the season and then it goes in his gear box till next year. No need to keep resharpening. If it's sharp, it's sharp.

If you do have a blade that's been sitting around for awhile and it doesn't seem sharp, try a simple strope.

Take a regular leather belt, stand on the end with the buckle and hold the free end. Run the edge over the leather a few times on either side, you will notice a difference.

Edited by DevouredbyVermn

I've often wondered how soft leather can put an edge on a knife. The physics of that baffle me.

I ordered one of the small KA-BAR TDI knives by the way. I'll let you know how I like it. I know a guy that carries one and claims he uses it for everything.

What the leather does is polish the edge. Funny as it sounds, but a knife can get a tiny bit dull just sitting in a drawer somewhere.

When I take out a knife that I've not used for awhile, I cut up a few pieces of paper or cardboard. I feel the edge before and after. Again, might sound strange, but I do notice a slight difference.

Please give us a review of your new Ka-Bar Robert when you get it. Like I posted above, you can use a knife for anything, even for something it's not designed for. Not sure about using that knife to build an emergenxy shelter if the need arose. Beside that fact, that knife is clearly for defensive purposes. I'm not sure what the local PD would say if they saw you carrying it. There's the whole thing about when does a knife become a weapon instead of a tool?

I've often wondered how well a fully serrated blade would fair. My folder has partial serrations, as does my fixed blade, but I don't go out of my way to use the serrated part.

Nice thing about serrated blades is that they don't require sharpening that often. The low points of the serrations protect the higher, sharp areas. Ever see that commercial on tv where they cut a soda can with a serrated kitchen knife and then neatly slice a tomato? It's a no brainer really. The points of the serration take the abuse.

Now, I have a question for you all. Anyone own a ceramic bladed knife? I've never handled one and I'd be curious how well they work. Supposed to be stronger than steel and are supposed to hold an edge basically forever.

I'd love to hear from someone who owns one and know what they think about it.

I always carry a Leatherman Wave with me, I have found it to be so useful while out in the wilderness. http://www.leatherman.com/products/product.asp?id=9&f=6&c=1

I also have a Buck Model 119 that I always pack, just in case I feel the need to carry it along with me. http://www.amazon.com/Buck-0119BKS-B-Special-Fixed-Blade/dp/B000EHWWJQ

I had heard good things about the Gerber Gator, so I picked one up this summer to try (and judge) for myself. I am impressed so far. http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Gator-Folding-Clip-Point-fin-6069.htm

Edited by Sean V

Great set for the outdoors Sean. I have the Leatherman Supertool 2 and it goes with me everywhere. Although it's still in great shape, I've been itching to buy a newer model. I don't recall the model I was looking at, but it has a diamond file and a ratchet head that accepts screwdriver bits.

I used to have one of those Gerber Gators. The partially serrated model. My only issue was that it didn't have a pocket clip. I found the handle, and the knife overall, to be rather chunky. It's a good sturdy knife, just not very streamilned for carrying all the time. But it's all about our own individual tastes.

I also prefer the pivot screw to be adjustable. The one on the Gator is, but I've never seen the bit that will fit that type of screw, so its takes some doing if you want to tighten it up.

That Buck 119 is a classic, as is the 110 folder. My only issue is the handle. Way too smooth for me. Take that same blade and add a rubberized handle and you've got a great knife. But again, it's all in what we feel comfortable with.

That's why I always recommend trying out a knife before buying. It may look cool, but if it's not comfortable, you may find yourself not using it that much.

A good looking knife is great, but it's all in the use. I mentioned above how I bought a Buck Nighthawk without ever trying one out and not really liking it. I gave it to a relative and he just loves it. Funny thing. I found the handle to be way too short for me, yet he has bigger hands than I do, and it seems to fit him great.

Hunster, check out this link. These types of sharpeners work pretty well, but if you do buy one, just go lightly. They have tungsten steel sharpeners and can take off alot of steel if you push too hard.

http://www.accusharp.com/

These types of sharpeners are spring loaded, so they will follow the angle already set on your knife.

One thing though, they aren't recommended for single bevel edges like found on alot of tantos style blades. Single bevel meaning they are only sharpened on one edge.

For the single bevel type, check the link in one of my above posts for the diamond sharpener like the one that I use. With a little practice, they can put a wicked edge on a blade.

This is what I'm looking for, also. Think I'm going to order one. A dull knife is a dangerous one (mostly,to me :mellow: ). I'm not one to spend a lot of time honing an edge. I'm becoming interested in one of those Ka-bars fixed blades, for the field and the city.

Great thread everyone.. with all these recommendations.