What’s in Siberia?

norseman

I watched the first clip a couple of times last night looking for the bear. I didn't see it but it did start to look animated, like the second video, after I had watched it a few times.

Video also came from a paranormal investigator as well. Two marks on the negative for me.

Siberia generates unique feelings within me. It's much like my beloved Alaska, but much larger. And it's wildlife is similar, but has much more, the Siberian tiger being the most impressive example. I always wanted to go taimen fishing. 

I strongly suspect that sasquatch type creatures remain in southern Siberian mountains and forests.

If I was younger and richer, I would study the Russian language and go. But my brother-in-law and a priest friend DID go. Other friends went early during an oil boom on Sakalin Island.

My brother-in- law works for Alaska Airlines, who opened scheduled routes to Vladivostok and Magadan from Anchorage in the early 90's. It didn't last long. Russian crime, both large scale and petty, put an end to it within a couple/few years. Those people would steal the instruments out of the cockpit while the planes were parked for just a few hours. Entire fuel loads for the planes would disappear en route between fuel storage points and the tarmac. They had to keep a man on board the aircraft at all times just to keep the thieves off, and the company feared for the man's safety. Personnel staying in Magadan feared for their lives. Hand grenades were a common weapon that criminals used. To this day, nearly 30 years later, Alaska Airlines still has not tried opening scheduled service again.

My priest friend was the first Catholic priest to attempt establishing a Catholic parish in Siberia (Magadan) since the Russian Revolution. His success has been limited, was purely because he is as determined as a pit bull, turned out to be an entire career, and is likely more miraculous than anything else. The Russian government eventually drove him out. The remaining parish is essentially a persecuted religious minority living in a frozen, crime infested Hell.

The Sakalin oil boom, created with early American technology and classic oil boom speed, was rather quickly taken over by the Russian government, complete with corruption. Within two years, the Americans were driven out.

I'm too old and American to survive the Russian political and criminal environment. Frankly, spending time there scares me as much as the thought of hanging out in Mexico or Central America. No, thanks. I think the Russian political environment shows some promise, but the possible better days are a few decades in the future. Sadly, I think the world situation is in hard reverse..........I suspect American crime and corruption is catching up to the Russians.

I like Alaska, thanks. It has been a wonderful home for the past 45 years, and it remains a great place to grow old in.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

SSR Team

The Sun newspaper is not too far off your National Enquirer for what it's worth.

I'll be happy with an Alaska trip truth be told, but Kamatchka does seem a truly incredible place too.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting story out of Siberia that I cannot confirm, but suspect is in a thread around here somewhere.

A bunch of prisoners escaped from the gulag archipelago after WW II.  Not sure if they were German soldiers or Soviet political prisoners, but once out of the prison, where do you go?  They walked south.  Of the original 4 or 5, only 1 made it far enough.  He got to India.  As if that isn't amazing enough, I believe (and I could be wrong) that sole survivor of the long walk may have seen a yeti at some point during his travels.

As I typed this, the phrase "long walk" struck a cord and I found this information (which contradicts a lot of what I thought I knew).     http://www.prisonhistory.net/prison-escapes/siberia-escape-the-long-walk/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Trogluddite said:

An interesting story out of Siberia that I cannot confirm, but suspect is in a thread around here somewhere.

A bunch of prisoners escaped from the gulag archipelago after WW II.  Not sure if they were German soldiers or Soviet political prisoners, but once out of the prison, where do you go?  They walked south.  Of the original 4 or 5, only 1 made it far enough.  He got to India.  As if that isn't amazing enough, I believe (and I could be wrong) that sole survivor of the long walk may have seen a yeti at some point during his travels.

As I typed this, the phrase "long walk" struck a cord and I found this information (which contradicts a lot of what I thought I knew).     http://www.prisonhistory.net/prison-escapes/siberia-escape-the-long-walk/

They were Polish POW’s being worked to death in a gulag. And yes in the Himalayas they saw yetis. Two I think.

Admin

There are questions about the credibility of the entire account:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sławomir_Rawicz

From what I can tell, somebody seems to have done it, we are just not sure as to who it was.

18 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sławomir_Rawicz

From what I can tell, somebody seems to have done it, we are just not sure as to who it was.

I don’t doubt the Russians threw shade on the story. Their gulag system was every bit as bad as Nazi concentration camps.

I believe the story. 

It’s not the only thing the Russians lied about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

BFF Patron
On 10/19/2020 at 10:30 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Take your pick.

One thing about those cardboard Mammoths is they get cellulose floppy syndrome before frostbite!

They try to stave it off by burning used tires but it just makes them get gray hair. :popcorn:

SSR Team
2 hours ago, VAfooter said:

Not surprised. 4,000 miles, the weather, crossing the Himalaya's, crossing the Gobi and then ending up India sounds a little far fetched to me personally.

23 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

Not surprised. 4,000 miles, the weather, crossing the Himalaya's, crossing the Gobi and then ending up India sounds a little far fetched to me personally.

except there are British accounts of survivors in India.

Admin

^ Yeah, that is why I said it appears that somebody did it, the who is open to speculation. It would have a lot less credibility without the Brit account.

7 hours ago, bipedalist said:

One thing about those cardboard Mammoths is they get cellulose floppy syndrome before frostbite!

They try to stave it off by burning used tires but it just makes them get gray hair. :popcorn:

And evidently river crossings!

On 10/18/2020 at 2:35 PM, BC witness said:

That looks very much like the Peace River area of NE B.C. and NW Alberta. The vegetation, tea coloured water, and iffy roads are just like that.

Alcan highway for sure.