Looking for Bigfoot in Open Areas

Believer57

6 hours ago, Believer57 said:

An inner suburb of Rochester, NY called Greece in Monroe County. It faces towards Buffalo and has other rural towns on the outside before more wilderness takes over.

Rochester--Greece Athena--from which comes one of the greatest sports stories EVER!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 7:59 AM, Believer57 said:

Yes, one thing that Ken Walker said has always stuck in my mind. BFs can't carry water like humans so they must always follow the creeks, rivers, and other waterways.

I have created a map of sightings in my county over the past 30 years, and it says exactly that.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Have you found early Spring to be a productive time with increased activity?

We've only been doing this for two years, and the fires six months ago have messed up the forests and, presumably, their behavior. I can't assume. I don't know. 

One thing NorthWind noticed, though, is that moon cycles matter. 

My other research friend says the same thing -  males like the full moon, and indeed, we had our sighting at the full moon and possibly with the same group he tracks.

Beyond that, I can't speculate. Ask me in 5 years :)

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, BobbyO said:

if you're a knower, then it changes the entire mentality about what they do and where they do it.

Now that I'm a knower, I am more open to the possibility that they could be in more places than we assume - whatever their mysterious reasons might be. 

It was somewhat surprising where we had our sighting, and yeah, right off a road. 

• Upvote 2

I like how you're creating a map. That is a very good idea. Create your own personal SSR database where you can see trends more easily. Moon phases, time of day, time of year, access to water, and many more.

You and NW are doing phenomenal work and I look forward to your updates. The great news is Spring is around the corner (here for some people) and life begins anew. Sasquatch will be out just like we will.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

We've only been doing this for two years, and the fires six months ago have messed up the forests and, presumably, their behavior. I can't assume. I don't know. 

One thing NorthWind noticed, though, is that moon cycles matter. 

My other research friend says the same thing -  males like the full moon, and indeed, we had our sighting at the full moon and possibly with the same group he tracks.

Beyond that, I can't speculate. Ask me in 5 years :)

As you know,my experience matches up with what you have seen.  We tend to get more activity during a new or full moon.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I like how you're creating a map. That is a very good idea. Create your own personal SSR database where you can see trends more easily. Moon phases, time of day, time of year, access to water, and many more.

You and NW are doing phenomenal work and I look forward to your updates. The great news is Spring is around the corner (here for some people) and life begins anew. Sasquatch will be out just like we will.

Thanks, @wiiawiwb.

We go out often, but since the incredibly devastating fires, haven't found much, and so haven't posted much. We will continue to look, as the insanity of actively looking for an 800 pound, highly intelligent apex predator on his own home turf helps keeps me sane through the current insanity that is my life right now. That, and my dogs. If THAT makes any sense. :blush: 

But yes. Moon phase plays a role in activity, I am fairly certain. Water. Well, water is never far in Oregon, at least where we are. 

• Upvote 2

@Northwind  -  Hopefully focusing on sasquatching and enjoying the thrill of the hunt can help you through the insanity. Pooches are the best and love for you exactly who you are. Keep the faith!!

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 3:58 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Rochester--Greece Athena--from which comes one of the greatest sports stories EVER!

That brought back memories. He was called J-Mac back then. Amazing how times flies the older you get...

A truly amazing story. 20 points in 4 minutes by a kid who fetches water and towels off his team members.  It was heartwarming to see everyone pulling for him and celebrating his special moments.  In a world you sometimes wonder about, stories like this help to renew one's faith in your fellow mankind (and womenkind too!).

The one thing you know is it just makes you feel good.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

On 3/15/2021 at 9:30 PM, NorthWind said:

Thanks, @wiiawiwb.

We go out often, but since the incredibly devastating fires, haven't found much, and so haven't posted much. We will continue to look, as the insanity of actively looking for an 800 pound, highly intelligent apex predator on his own home turf helps keeps me sane through the current insanity that is my life right now. That, and my dogs. If THAT makes any sense. :blush: 

But yes. Moon phase plays a role in activity, I am fairly certain. Water. Well, water is never far in Oregon, at least where we are. 

Keep your head up, buddy.  

This too shall pass.

• Thanks 1

Here is an interesting "open area" video from 2017 posted by the Rocky Mountain Sasquatch Organization. The dude is all one color but I am concerned that the body frame and erect standing posture don't fit my expectations for a Bigfoot. They did make a good suggestion in that it would be nice to have a size comparison to a human like in the Sinks Sasquatch Walking video.

Alberta Sasquatch Video Jasper Canada

Edited by Believer57
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Remote vs Open Areas:

Why do people look for bigfoot in remote areas? I assume it is because it's reasonable Bigfoot is living in remote areas.

Billy the Kid said he robbed banks because that is where the money is.    The same thing would/should apply to Bigfoot.    

The problem with all of this is line of sight.  That is, one could be in a Bigfoot hot spot and yet if the terrain is too thick there is not a line of sight to see such a thing.    In order to have a good encounter we need a few essential elements at minimum:

-Bigfoot being there

-Someone to see Bigfoot with good line of sight.

-A way to record the encounter if possible

-The terrain to be open enough where we can actually see the thing

If an encounter occurred in the deep woods one might get a flash of a sighting only.

The PGF is the most famous Bigfoot encounter.   Assume it is real.   What was going for it?

If was a fairly remote forest which go on for 100s of miles.    The key to the PGF is the luck of it occurring not just in a creek bed and not just in daylight but in a creek bed nearly completely leveled by the massive flood or previous years.   Had that encounter occurred in the deep woods there wouldn't even be a PGF.  Or, the film would just look like the 1st 75% of the PGF where we only see trees.

I say you look for Bigfoot where Bigfoot might exist.   For me, that is open areas but in remote places.   

Can you elaborate on what type of open areas you'd be looking for and how you'd find them? 

I think we may be saying the same thing but I'm looking for edges where two different areas of nature meet. A pond's edge in a wooded area, where the forest meets a clearing, a creek in the forest, where the terrain takes a steep incline, and more.  In areas that we frequent, we can identify some open areas off the top of our head. Larger ones can certainly be identified using Google Earth. More subtle ones too may be possible.

That's why I really enjoy going out and scouting around off trail. Sometimes I've stumbled into areas that I didn't see on GE. One such area, which is swampy in part and difficult to move about in other parts, produced two wood knocks from two locations a few seconds apart. There is a lot we work can do at home on GE but there's no substitute for kicking tires and gumshoeing the old-fashioned way.