Best Camo patterns for dense woodland

norseman

Wow...nice to see the comparisons of the different patterns. Got the old tiger stripe pattern pants, not so much for hiding, they just they look cool...

• Haha 1

Nature helps us to know what to do about camouflaging ourselves.  In a dense green forest, a tiger, deer, coyote, or quail can vanish before our eyes yet they don't have any hair or feathers with speck of green on them. That's the principle of ASAT's pattern and colors. Break up the outline and refect the colors you are near.

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Nature helps us to know what to do about camouflaging ourselves.  In a dense green forest, a tiger, deer, coyote, or quail can vanish before our eyes yet they don't have any hair or feathers with speck of green on them. That's the principle of ASAT's pattern and colors. Break up the outline and refect the colors you are near.

I knew ASAT was going to enter into the comments. Many animals / forest animals are dichromatic. They see blue to green wavelengths very well. Orange and red are grey tones. Green dyes in human clothing can't compete with a biological green like chlorophyll. Camo clothing may have 'UV' brighteners for marketing purposes so you will look like a blue neon humanoid to bears and deer. The colors black, grey, brown have worked well since we were running around with pointy sticks. Face painting with dirt / clay was with 'Earth colors'. ( worked for Arnold ).

The case of the Sumatra Tiger, aka 'Tony the Tiger', is interesting.  Prey animals would see the coat as a shade of grey that is broken up by the black stripes. 

Jungles have birds with greens. Possibly for mate selection and camo. Many birds have tetrachromatic vision and 'see' ultraviolet to red. Avian predators can follow the urine trails of rodents.

Some women have tetrachromatic vision. Don't go there.

Here is a bone to chew on. Humans are taught colors when we are young. 

About this time of year, bears are chomping down skunk cabbage. Nice yummy shades of green and yellow.  It is their laxative to clean themselves out.

222626304_SkunkCabbage_1_IMG_0404.jpg

Edited by Catmandoo
more text and image
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

That depends. I can spot deer on green grass like now from a mile away. But most animals do not have trichromatic vision.

Black Bear to me disappear the best in dense cover. If I had to pick a solid color it would be black for dense forest. For all the rest it would be tan. 

Military camouflage is trying to defeat trichromatic vision..... other humans. But would work on any ape.

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Here is the link.

https://www.asatcamo.com

Admin

A series of articles on camo patterns and their effectiveness:

https://www.hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/

They used to have a white paper on their site about camo effectiveness, but it seems to have been taken down at some point. The conclusion was that Multicam was good. However, since then, other patterns have superseded Multicam in effectiness.

These guys are on the cutting edge of camo technology:

https://www.hyperstealth.com/homepage.html - old site

https://www.hyperstealth.net/ - new site

They used to have a lot patterns on their site, but sadly not listed anymore. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20170726092356/http://www.hyperstealth.com/deceptex/70-30-LW-fabric-order.html

A lot of their patterns were not for sale to the public.

For myself, I am probably going to pick up some CADPAT in the near future. It is highly effective, even if it is not the current "flavor of the day". Studies indicate that it is still competitive against newer patterns.

• Upvote 1

Admin

AOR2 is supposed to be pretty good as well.

I think there are two land base patterns.

Green 

Tan

There are many patterns that cater to one of those base patterns. There are some patterns that try to cater to both. And then there are uniforms that are reversible. With a tan based pattern on one side, and a green based pattern on the other. WW2 USMC uniforms and Nam Mitchell helmet covers are examples.

I would consider multicam and AOR2 patterns to be patterns trying to cater to both bases. Green and tan. 

The third option in heavy canopy is black. Exactly how a black bear hides. If you keep to the shadows like a Ninja? Your hidden well. Break out into an opening and you stand out like a sore thumb.

I don’t think there is any one perfect camo. Just like a sniper that garnishes his ghillie suit with the surrounding vegetation? Camo is dynamic and ever changing depending on the location, topography, season and even time of day. 

Most of this is wasted on most game animals. Maybe Turkeys see as well or better than humans. But some monkeys and all apes have trichromatic vision. And of course human vs human combat, camouflage is very important.

DB829E06-8BA4-4277-A94A-2A746A6985BE.png

Admin
27 minutes ago, norseman said:

I don’t think there is any one perfect camo. Just like a sniper that garnishes his ghillie suit with the surrounding vegetation? Camo is dynamic and ever changing depending on the location, topography, season and even time of day. 

Very true. You have to adapt to the surroundings and conditions. Governments have been looking for the perfect camo for decades, if not centuries. Billions of dollars have been spent on R&D. And they still have not found it...