Interview With Hunter Who Mistakenly Killed A Sasquatch

Incorrigible1

4 minutes ago, Delta Zulu said:

And that would be super obvious to the guy telling the story, and many other people who heard it before us. Years ago.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not that careless. From there I assume it's done on purpose.

There are alotta things you may find it necessary to read between the lines. For a reason, particularly with this subject, it's as if there's a rule or requirement to distort true accounts. I use that guy Smeja as example. That's a true account...but...there's a bit of fiction added. Just enough to knock the analytical people off the trail. To clean up the mess of a cat being let out the bag.

All in my humble opinion of course...

I take the opposite tact. If you don’t have proof? It didn’t happen. If someone witnesses a UFO? I may be more forgiving that they didn’t drag back a chunk of saucer. But a dead Sasquatch? Come on. Your a hunter. Hunters are setup to bring game out of the woods. Young or scared or illegal activities or whatever excuse doesn’t cut the mustard with me.

A massive discovery lays in front of you. I could get a hand off in seconds with a knife. Just a hand. Just a finger. Over. Done. Stick a fork in it. Instead you turn heel and leave?🤨 Just another cool story bro...

With that said? I enjoy debating Sasquatch and listening to stories and I’m not trying to knock Incorrigible in any way for sharing this with us. That’s what we do here is talk Bigfoot and share stuff we find. So I will bow out now!😬

But if you accidentally kill a Bigfoot!? Get PROOF!

I think Wilson’s cultural traditions explains a lot about his reaction and his young age and complete shock provide me with some more insight into his frame of mind. First and foremost he was sent into a tailspin when he thought he was shooting a bear, only to see what he considered a man dying convulsively in front of him. He of course didn’t need or want proof of what he had done, he only felt shame and horror once he knew that killing a Sasquatch as he did would bring down bad fortune on him. Just getting out of there with his arrow was a pretty big accomplishment I think. I can’t say he should have been capable of more than that.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There have been some very detailed encounters in the Winds over the decades. Who is the biologist who had a BF lick a spot of bacon grease on his USFS-issued tent  one night, and then spent the night sitting by his fire lobbing pine cones back and forth with it? One account I really like was from a woman who heard a BF scream from miles away only to have it make a beeline for her camp, climb a cliff face and pass through her camp like it wasn’t even there. 

I had a moment of weirdness there on my first trip. I was just north of Big Sandy Bottoms, zoning out to my campfire when I heard a huge amount of thrashing in the pines nearby. Lots of shaking  and small limbs cracking. About 15 minutes later I looked outside the ring of light and there stood a huge Mulie buck....5 points. He was just starring at the fire, transfixed. Even given the mule deer’s reputation for non-skittishness compared to whitetails, it struck me as odd. It wandered off eventually.  

Wacco Aeron Paul Wilson killing of a Bigfoot in the WInd River Moutains

Any viable hypothesis needs to explain the data – not just some of the data – all the data.  The easiest hypothesis regarding a Bigfoot encounter account is to simply describe the account as “made up” – (as a story – as a “lie”) – with the accuser pointing out potential holes in the story – or many instances pointing to nothing (the former much mor understandable than the latter).  Sorry – but that seems to me to be a frequent, and to my thinking, objectionable tack on this forum.

Sometimes viable hypotheses require more work – some digging.

How about these added details to make the Paul Wilson killing possible?

Wacco Aeron Paul Wilson was born June 30, 1951 on the Northern Cheyenne reservation in Montana to a Northern Cheyenne mother and a Welsh father.  He was raised in southern Colorado near the small town of Saguache.  He loved to hunt in the nearby Sangre de Cristo, Sawatch, and San Juan Mountains of Colorado.  Some of his favorite adventures, however, were to visit his cousins in Fort Washakie, Wyoming, from which they would venture into the Wind River Mountains (Wilson’s mother’s father was Cheyenne and his mother’s mother was Shoshone).

Vehicles can be driven today from Fort Washakie into the Winds to the west along Moccasin Lake Road or Washakie Park Road, both of which were extant in the late 1960’s when Wilson’s killing was to have occurred (I have friends that for the past 10 summers pay a combination backpacking/fishing fee to the Wind River Reservation and have a guide transport them in a truck from Fort Washakie to the ends of one of those roads for a week of backpacking in the Winds – prearranged meeting time one week later).

Some of this, or all of this, may be true regarding Paul Wilson.  Perhaps his account should gain some credence.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 9-dot said:

Wacco Aeron Paul Wilson killing of a Bigfoot in the WInd River Moutains

Any viable hypothesis needs to explain the data – not just some of the data – all the data.  The easiest hypothesis regarding a Bigfoot encounter account is to simply describe the account as “made up” – (as a story – as a “lie”) – with the accuser pointing out potential holes in the story – or many instances pointing to nothing (the former much mor understandable than the latter).  Sorry – but that seems to me to be a frequent, and to my thinking, objectionable tack on this forum.

Sometimes viable hypotheses require more work – some digging.

How about these added details to make the Paul Wilson killing possible?

Wacco Aeron Paul Wilson was born June 30, 1951 on the Northern Cheyenne reservation in Montana to a Northern Cheyenne mother and a Welsh father.  He was raised in southern Colorado near the small town of Saguache.  He loved to hunt in the nearby Sangre de Cristo, Sawatch, and San Juan Mountains of Colorado.  Some of his favorite adventures, however, were to visit his cousins in Fort Washakie, Wyoming, from which they would venture into the Wind River Mountains (Wilson’s mother’s father was Cheyenne and his mother’s mother was Shoshone).

Vehicles can be driven today from Fort Washakie into the Winds to the west along Moccasin Lake Road or Washakie Park Road, both of which were extant in the late 1960’s when Wilson’s killing was to have occurred (I have friends that for the past 10 summers pay a combination backpacking/fishing fee to the Wind River Reservation and have a guide transport them in a truck from Fort Washakie to the ends of one of those roads for a week of backpacking in the Winds – prearranged meeting time one week later).

Some of this, or all of this, may be true regarding Paul Wilson.  Perhaps his account should gain some credence.

If his mother was half Cheyenne and half Shoshone and he is exercising his legal right to hunt on Shoshone tribal lands? Why not just say your Shoshone? Blood lines, tribal rights and BIA rolls get complicated legally. If 25% Shoshone blood gives him a legal right to hunt on a reservation not of his birth? So be it. I personally know Indian people who can or cannot hunt on reservation A versus reservation B.

In fact I just went on a Jeep trip Tuesday with a Colville tribal member who told me the lake band tribe just succeeded in gaining back their ancestral hunting grounds in Canada. (12 tribes on the Colville reservation, so Canada is not extending this to all tribal members, just the Sinixt or lake band as they are called)

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/colville-tribes-member-wins-pivotal-case-as-canadas-highest-court-rules-his-sinixt-people-have-hunting-rights/

My apologies for throwing up red flags in the story concerning tribal reservations. I live close to a reservation and was raised with Indian kids so I have a fairly good grasp of how things work. Not all tribes on the Colville reservation get along.

I also know from working in Eastern Montana that the Crow and northern Cheyenne do not like each one bit. And I’m pretty sure the Shoshone and Cheyenne do not get along either.

The Crow and the Shoshone acted as scouts a lot for the US Cavalry against the Cheyenne and Sioux. 

5 minutes ago, norseman said:

If his mother was half Cheyenne and half Shoshone and he is exercising his legal right to hunt on Shoshone tribal lands? Why not just say your Shoshone? Blood lines, tribal rights and BIA rolls get complicated legally. If 25% Shoshone blood gives him a legal right to hunt on a reservation not of his birth? So be it. I personally know Indian people who can or cannot hunt on reservation A versus reservation B.

In fact I just went on a Jeep trip Tuesday with a Colville tribal member who told me the lake band tribe just succeeded in gaining back their ancestral hunting grounds in Canada. (12 tribes on the Colville reservation, so Canada is not extending this to all tribal members, just the Sinixt or lake band as they are called)

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/colville-tribes-member-wins-pivotal-case-as-canadas-highest-court-rules-his-sinixt-people-have-hunting-rights/

My apologies for throwing up red flags in the story concerning tribal reservations. I live close to a reservation and was raised with Indian kids so I have a fairly good grasp of how things work. Not all tribes on the Colville reservation get along.

I also know from working in Eastern Montana that the Crow and northern Cheyenne do not like each one bit. And I’m pretty sure the Shoshone and Cheyenne do not get along either.

The Crow and the Shoshone acted as scouts a lot for the US Cavalry against the Cheyenne and Sioux. 

Just now, 9-dot said:

I am making a fairly confident guess that Paul Wilson had no concern about whether or not authorities knew (or gave approval) that he was hunting in the Wind River Mountains.  One of my points was intended not to address any legality (again, I doubt that such was a concern for Paul Wilson), but rather to establish that he had reason to be there.  In 1968 I think authorities cared less than they do now.  In the last 25 or so years, the Wind River Reservation has been collecting a fee for using Fort Washakie as a convenient jumping off place for excursions into the Wind River Mountains. 

18 minutes ago, 9-dot said:

Him being 25% Shoshone? I cannot speak for what rights that affords him or if that makes him a full fledged member of the Shoshone tribe. So yes! That information changes things. It is plausible that he could have legally been bear hunting on that reservation.

But I would bet my bottom dollar that a northern Cheyenne tribal member doesn’t have rights to hunt there and wouldn’t want to be caught hunting there.... not now and especially not in the 60’s. 

9 hours ago, norseman said:

John Mionczynski 

Thanks man! I knew it was John, and never, ever recall his last name.  Great account. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, norseman said:

Him being 25% Shoshone? I cannot speak for what rights that affords him or if that makes him a full fledged member of the Shoshone tribe. So yes! That information changes things. It is plausible that he could have legally been bear hunting on that reservation.

But I would bet my bottom dollar that a northern Cheyenne tribal member doesn’t have rights to hunt there and wouldn’t want to be caught hunting there.... not now and especially not in the 60’s. 

I understand.  Both of my sister's kids are 25% Seneca.  The older one is on the tribal roster; the younger one is not.  The Seneca Nation changed the requirements in the 4-year span separating the two.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, WSA said:

There have been some very detailed encounters in the Winds over the decades. Who is the biologist who had a BF lick a spot of bacon grease on his USFS-issued tent  one night, and then spent the night sitting by his fire lobbing pine cones back and forth with it? One account I really like was from a woman who heard a BF scream from miles away only to have it make a beeline for her camp, climb a cliff face and pass through her camp like it wasn’t even there. 

I had a moment of weirdness there on my first trip. I was just north of Big Sandy Bottoms, zoning out to my campfire when I heard a huge amount of thrashing in the pines nearby. Lots of shaking  and small limbs cracking. About 15 minutes later I looked outside the ring of light and there stood a huge Mulie buck....5 points. He was just starring at the fire, transfixed. Even given the mule deer’s reputation for non-skittishness compared to whitetails, it struck me as odd. It wandered off eventually.  

Sounds like a seaside naturist resort....... 

Anyway, I think I recall the above report with the lady who was camping on the cliff and hears the creature a way away and then describes it climbing, getting closer and closer, gearing it breathing and going right past her. I think she was absolutely terrified and that report seemed very visceral and believable to me.