Grizzly Attack

wiiawiwb

A seasoned hiker was attacked near west Yellowstone. He is alive but was badly injured and his assuming the fetal position may have saved his life.  Apparently, there was a moose carcass within 50 yards of the attack. The grizzly came back to claim it and charged LEOs several times before being shot to death at 20 yards. That's close.

The bear wasn't hunting humans it was defending it's food source. Sad all the way around. I'm thankful that having to consider grizzly is not a factor in my field efforts. Timber Rattlers are.

https://localnews8.com/news/local-news/2021/04/16/hiker-hospitalized-after-grizzly-bear-attack/

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

..........I'm thankful that having to consider grizzly is not a factor in my field efforts. Timber Rattlers are...........

Grizzly danger is a regular part of my life, but I'm thankful there are no snakes at all in Alaska. Frankly, I'm not sure which is worse. There are areas of the continent with both dangers present. I believe that sasquatches, being human and thus fairly intelligent, also prefer habitat without either danger. I also believe that the extirpation of grizzly bears in the western states was a blessing for sasquatches and may have even helped boost their population.........until homo sapiens completely flooded the region over the past half century.

• Upvote 1

That attack is very similar to mine, where I inadvertently got between a 3 year old grizzly and his moose meal. What saved me was the fact that I was moose hunting, with my 30-06 loaded and in my hands. The memory of that charge still gives me goose bumps while typing this, and it happened 40 years ago. I knew a fellow who survived a similar attack to this young man, with very similar injuries. Surgery could never fully restore his face, and he suffered emotionally for years, eventually committing suicide. Very sad.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Grizzly maulings tend to be rather gruesome. Back in the 70's I knew anther man whose face was crushed by a grizzly. He was horribly scarred. Some years later both he and his incredibly gorgeous wife were murdered, likely in a drug related killing.

This is the story of a man who was mauled on a fishing trip at the Kenai River.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/content/news/A-man-attacked-by-a-brown-bear-describes-the-attack-on-his-life--386872171.html

E0469E61-DF66-4829-9C90-444C922C752B.jpeg

CEEDF82E-CB77-4965-9CF2-5A1C5C3DBC28.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Huntster said:

Grizzly danger is a regular part of my life, but I'm thankful there are no snakes at all in Alaska. Frankly, I'm not sure which is worse. There are areas of the continent with both dangers present. I believe that sasquatches, being human and thus fairly intelligent, also prefer habitat without either danger. I also believe that the extirpation of grizzly bears in the western states was a blessing for sasquatches and may have even helped boost their population.........until homo sapiens completely flooded the region over the past half century.

As powerful and deadly as grizzlies are I don't think they would stand much of a chance against a Sasquatch. Remember, Sasquatches don't have simply strength and size to their advantage, they also have near human intelligence and all of the cunning that goes with it. 

I think bears have more to fear from Sasquatches than the other way around. 

Brown bears are killers. Boars routinely kill and eat their own young, a cannibalistic trait that is rare among apex mammals. ADFG studies have confirmed that predation rates on moose calves (% of calves killed) by brown bears can exceed 50% of all calves born, and that each adult brown bear kills an average of 0.5-2.2 adult moose (. 1 year old) annually. You can be assured that sasquatch young are also on the menu. 

If sasquatches were superman bear killers, there would have been no grizzlies upon the arrival of Columbus. Instead, in less than two centuries of the European arrival on the west coast, the grizzlies were wiped out.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, norseman said:

But everyone who enters Griz territory is just a meatcicle in the food chain until you get back in your car.

Meatcicle.....meat sack. Tough and chewy on the outside, pink and crunchy on the inside.

The Brown Bear track is a bear in the Katmai gene pool. They are smart bears.  The marks from the claws always bother me.

29895958_SoftTacosmeatsack20210329_153215.jpg

Brown Bear track IMG_0077.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

As powerful and deadly as grizzlies are I don't think they would stand much of a chance against a Sasquatch. Remember, Sasquatches don't have simply strength and size to their advantage, they also have near human intelligence and all of the cunning that goes with it. 

I think bears have more to fear from Sasquatches than the other way around. 

• Thanks 1

SSR Team
On 4/17/2021 at 3:55 PM, Huntster said:

Give me the rattler all day, every day..;)

Those Grizzly's scare the absolute living daylights out of me and i do not trust them one little iota.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BobbyO said:

Give me the rattler all day, every day..;)

Those Grizzly's scare the absolute living daylights out of me and i do not trust them one little iota.

The good part about the snakes is that these are the days of anti-venom. Science hasn't yet developed an anti-asswhuppin potion yet.:lol:

• Upvote 1

Admin
39 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Science hasn't yet developed an anti-asswhuppin potion yet.:lol:

:biggrin:

download.jpeg

• Haha 2