Grizzly Attack

wiiawiwb

2 hours ago, Celtic Raider said:

It's quite gruesome what some of these old cultures did for 'sport' or entertainment. I never heard that one before though!

https://books.google.com/books/about/California_Grizzly.html?id=ez9ZDwAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description

^^ Excellent book. It includes the true story of Grizzly Adams, which is an incredible story. The California grizzly was every bit as special and unique as the Kodiak bear. The last confirmed grizzly in California was killed in Trabuco Canyon in the Santa Ana Mountains, which was one of my favorite local areas of escape as a youth and teen.

• Upvote 1

Late but to add on to the Sasquatch V. Grizzly deathmatch:

I have heard before that primate skin is especially susceptible to tearing and wounds caused by claws and fangs but for the life of me I can’t remember the source of the claim

If true it would give a Sas even more of a disadvantage in a 1v1 against a bear. 

But as pointed out a Sasquatch would probably punt a bowling ball sized rock at a grizzly before actually fighting in hand to paw combat. You see it in other apes too; chimps might catch monkeys and bush pigs with their bare hands but they’ll usually throw rocks and branches at any leopard eyeing them. The leopard’s natural weaponry is too much up close. 
I imagine it’s the same with Sasquatch fists up against a Bear’s jagged claws, not worth it if the odds are against them.

Regarding the Wildman vs bear thing,

Yes intelligence can be taken into account, but I give them the edge with brute force also. Wildman where grizzlies roam are also some of the larger variety. So you have two organisms of about the same weight. From the reports, and what I saw, they can be bigger than all but the biggest bears!

And there is one account from memory in alaska where someone on a boat witnessed a grizzly take flight and shortly after a Wildman appeared. I'd wager this is the usual routine.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:25 PM, Delta Zulu said:

Regarding the Wildman vs bear thing,

Yes intelligence can be taken into account, but I give them the edge with brute force also. Wildman where grizzlies roam are also some of the larger variety. So you have two organisms of about the same weight. From the reports, and what I saw, they can be bigger than all but the biggest bears!

And there is one account from memory in alaska where someone on a boat witnessed a grizzly take flight and shortly after a Wildman appeared. I'd wager this is the usual routine.

Yep, that account is from Raincoast Sasquatch and I have a similar theory. I believe bears and squatch do what they can do avoid each other. I'm sure overlap in territories occur but for the most part, I think they keep a healthy distance from one another.

• Upvote 1

Smart for all predators to keep distance from each other.  Especially the larger they are.  A chance encounter may not need kill them but the lingering effects can.