How much do your feet weigh?

wiiawiwb

It was in June last year that I had two encounters (in the strike zone) with a Timber Rattler in areas I didn't know they were. I immediately went out and bought two different pair of sturdy leather boots. Both very comfortable and I am confident both would withstand a rattler strike. 

My entire life of hiking and backpacking involved using running shoes and then trail runners. No sturdy leather boots needed. I'm doing a hike on Saturday, with several friends, and the total distance will be about 8 miles.

I wondered how much more weight my legs are lifting over the course of the hike as a result of the waffle stompers so I did the math. I didn't rely on manufacturer's published weight, as I used a mailing scale at my business to weigh each shoe/boot (including a custom insert), so I know the weights are accurate.  Let's do the math... 8 miles x 5,280'=42,240'/1.5'step length=28,160 steps times 17 ounces (2lbs 4oz vs 1lb 3oz)/16oz = 29,920 lbs extra weight lifted.  I just got a new pair of trail runners (INOV-8 X-Talon 260) that would boost that number to over 36,000 extra lbs lifted.

It underscores how additional weight on one's foot can cause a lot of extra work by your legs. I'll continue to wear the waffle stompers in the particular area where the Timber Rattler population is dense but am going to roll the dice and switch back to trail runners for all other areas. 

My legs are exhausted just thinking about all that extra weight!

p.s. I couldn't help notice that INOV-8's logo (on the two shoes below) is similar to BFF's. Maybe it should be the official BFF footwear or a BFF sponsor!! Haha.

Trail runners and boots.jpg

INOV-8 Ultra 260.jpeg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Haha 1

I wear merrell MOAB 2 waterproof tactical boots or the MOAB 2 8 inch boots. im out bushwhaking pretty much everywhere I go in timber rattler territory. Ive also been working with snakes for 20 years so I'm not so concerned about getting tagged by a snake I didn't see becuase ive got my eyes trained to find them. I'm more concerned with gouge wounds from brush which is why I chose the ones I wear. Just this past weekend I actually led a hike dedicated to finding big timbers and cooperheads. The majority of bites are to the top of the foot, or ankle so if you prefer a lighter weight boot just grab a pair of $65 gaiters. 

0626211114.jpg

0626211110.jpg

• Upvote 1

I  wonder whether I could ever be trained to see them especially when I'm moving along quickly on a trail.  Last year, in the first encounter, the TR was in a grassy area right alongside a very narrow trail. I could barely see it once I stepped back and knew where it was. Not sure I would see it again until I was right on it. In the second encounter, it was on the trail and appeared to be just another tree root. Once I've walked over, or past, hundreds of tree roots on the hike in or out, my eyes become less discriminating and just don't see it as anything different.  Thankfully, I do have lightweight snake gaiters (Turtleskin) and always wear them anywhere near TR territory.

1) Can you offer any helpful hints as to how to train oneself to be able to see these perfectly-camouflaged snakes lying still in the forest leaves, grasses and roots around them?

2) In your experience, what caused strikes to occur with Timber Rattlers? How close do you have to come before they would strike?

I'd appreciate any insights you could share from your experience with these snakes.

Edited by wiiawiwb

Probably does have something to do with your speed. I typically move at a slower methodical pace and take in as much as I can likely a subconscious act hanging over from my military background, situational awarness and all that stuff. Plus im always looking for signs of possible good habitat of our target species when I'm in the woods. With time though you canntrain your eyes to key in on specific things, berries, mushrooms, snakes etc. Just takes a conscious effort to sharpen the skill.

I agree that situational awareness is critical and something I've always been mindful of. In my case, I never knew a Timber Rattler was an issue to be considered in the particular areas I was working, so I never looked for it. I do now and, as you've recommended, have sloooowed both my approach and movement in the woods.  I'm tepidly confident that were I able to turn back time and walk on the same trails today I might be able to spot the second TR.

There is no way on heaven's Earth I could ever spot the first one. Too close to the trail and too camouflaged. It becomes a risk you accept, or not.  Me--I'll reluctantly accept it and wear the snake-appropriate gear when in the densely-populately areas. The fringe areas...I think I'll take my chance.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if you walk with a stick or not in the forest but ive substituted a 42in snake hook for a walking stick in the areas I know are thick with snakes. It comes in handy to sweep logs etc before stepping over or to sweep ledges before going over blind. Handy multi use tool.

• Upvote 2

In your top picture above, one of the guys is holding a pole...maybe the one you're speaking of.  I agree it's a good idea and have a 49" fixed-length hiking pole which I reluctantly carry.   I end up moving it side-to-side in front of me as I walk on the trail.  It takes away from the outdoor experience but is defintely safer.

Edited by wiiawiwb

Benefits of hiking poles:

Over long distances, impact on knees/joints reduced.

Push through thorny brush/spider webs.

Detect depth of water/cross slippery streams (ankles & feet important).

Hold down/up wire, branches, etc.

Good for back, abs, arms.

#1 Scare away bears, cougars, etc. by clanging loudly.

H/T to Matt M.

:bow:

• Downvote 1

I'll never been a fan of hiking poles and still am not. I find them potentially dangerous going down mountains in wet, rocky areas. If hiking poles are good for arms, back, and abs then why isn't the absence of them equally good for thighs and calves?

Not sure what your poles are made of but mine are made from carbon (Gossamer Gear LT3). They have very little lateral strength, would produce little sound if clanged together, and likely broken in that process, so mine would not be able to scare away chipmunks much less bears.

• Upvote 1

This year, I have been carrying a short spear (with a quickly removed leather sheath) and find it quite handy for many things on the trail. Walking staff, probe, tent pole, pointer, and weapon, it needed. I like multi-use items. I want to put some measurements on it, but I keep forgetting to. 

Sorry to go somewhat off topic. I don't have poles, but if I was going off trail I would. I imagine there are lots of aluminum kinds.

I remember Matt M talking and tweeting about the values of poles. There was one tweet of him in some rugged PNW type terrain walking on down trees, using them to test possible rotted areas. He said it would prevent one falling into a cave formed by ancient trees/logs, etc., possibly unable to climb out and ask how he knows! Anyway, it makes sense to me, yeah multi-use is always good.

• Downvote 1

I am not a pole person either, on or off trail.  Never really understood the use of them to be honest.  I also like having my hands free to grab a water bottle, camera, etc. while on the move.   As to footwear, I wear light trail running shoes (Solomon is my brand) and in snake country I would wear gators for protection against Copperheads and rattlers.  

When I wear my snake gaiters, the top of my feet are exposed along with everything from the ankles down. Skinwalker 13 has aptly pointed out those are the typical areas of a Timber Rattler strike.  Wearing snake gaiters over trail runners leaves you exposed. It's better than not wearing them but their 1/2" fang will easily pierce through. I'll post a picture of my snake gaiters over trail runners.

When I first encountered the TRs last summer, I emailed more than a half dozen prominent herpetologists. They graciously responded and all recommended wearing "appropriate" leather boots.  I couldn't get anyone to commit to what that meant...2.0mm, 2.2mm, thicker, etc?

Here is a herpetologist I was not able to contact (couldn't find his email) but was able to see a picture of his handling a TR. As you can see he has sturdy leather boots under his snake gaiters. The second article has a picture showing him wearing Merrill Wilderness boots which are very thick leather.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stories/bill-rattlesnake-guy

https://www.outsideonline.com/2397605/william-brown-rattlesnakes  (picture is 2/3 down the article)

Thankful we don't have many snakes here in Oregon. I love my hiking pole. It give me extra balance, which is much worse now than when I was young. Now I need all the help I can get some days, LOL. I use mine every single hike.

• Upvote 1