How much do your feet weigh?

wiiawiwb

Here is a picture of one of the Timber Rattler I encountered last year.  My friend, hiking in front of me, apparently stepped very close to it. I saw him jump and wasn't sure what was going on until I heard the rattling. Coming up behind him, I was now in the strike zone. It was curled up, in the striking position, and began slowly inching its way backward and away from us.  I froze and didn't move until it was far enough away which is when I took the picture.

558644983_20200702_111330(004).thumb.jpg.6b1cfbc08818c8fe8329370eb998dab2.jpg

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

Here is a picture of one of the Timber Rattler I encountered last year.  My friend, hiking in front of me, apparently stepped very close to it. I saw him jump and wasn't sure what was going on until I heard the rattling. Coming up behind him, I was now in the strike zone. It was curled up, in the striking position, and began slowly inching its way backward and away from us.  I froze and didn't move until it was far enough away which is when I took the picture.

558644983_20200702_111330(004).thumb.jpg.6b1cfbc08818c8fe8329370eb998dab2.jpg

That is by far my number #1 fear when out in the field.  Nothing else comes close.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:18 AM, NCBFr said:

I am not a pole person either, on or off trail.  Never really understood the use of them to be honest.  I also like having my hands free to grab a water bottle, camera, etc. while on the move.   As to footwear, I wear light trail running shoes (Solomon is my brand) and in snake country I would wear gators for protection against Copperheads and rattlers.  

I may need to amend my answer.  The last couple of outing have had me crash through innumerable spider webs.  One or two is annoying.  10+ will ruin the outing, especially in the summer heat.  It was so bad I found a long stick and placed it marching band style in front of me to prevent them from hitting me in the face.