Hoaxes and hoaxers

CelticKevin

5 hours ago, 7.62 said:

This is just me spitballing 

I have to throw you a 'Hershiser'.  This thread has humor.  Using a doll to hoax a Sasquatch(s). The proposed static doll may have presentation problems. Animals like to see movement. For example, we have the Bengal Tigers and Sumatra Tigers. Forest workers and fishers in the tiger habitats have experimented with the 'human face mask' on the back of their heads. Success is variable.  Mask wearers are still killed. Researchers believe that the tigers watch the mask wearers and figure out the knees work in the 'wrong' direction. ( me, I would wear a Ronald Regan mask on the back of my head. ) Smart tigers and they are very hungry. The tiger issue seems far removed but my point is that animals watch animals and they know when behavior is not correct.

A static doll does not have 'child smell' or motion and that may cause the Sasquatch to know that humans are hoaxing them. They might dislike you forever. Have you considered an inflatable hoax?

Remote controlled, motorized foam / fake deer are used by wildlife agents to catch poachers. They have repeat offenders shooting the same deer. Less smart than a Sasquatch.

Borrow a goat from an ex-friend and stake it out. The olfactory signaling is powerful. You should get a cougar and maybe more.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

BFF Patron

When some have spent decades looking without an encounter one can only guess that there are very few BF around.   Or and this is a big or,   some are using the wrong field techniques.     I gave up on any hope of tracking them down.     It was obvious from my first few footprint finds that some BF were going to great pains to avoid leaving footprints.   Found prints were attributed to unsuccessfult stretches stepping over human trails trying to avoid leaving any trace at all.    Two prints does not for me make a trackway or trail I can follow.   Dry season is even more difficult.   A bear or cougar for that matter seem oblivious to the fact they are leaving prints.   So if I cannot track BF,   I figure the only hope of having an enounter is random quiet movement to develop a chance to have one blunder into me.   That sadly happened to me too early in my field work to be ready for it when it happened.    An incredible chance to get a audio recording of  two approaching BF and a clear video were both lost to my unfamiliarity with a new recorder and me freezing up and not attempting to hide from the approaching BF.     I just was not ready for that to happen and the adult BF spotted me before I saw it.    My attempts at being interesting have never worked well enough to see one even when they have approached.  There seems to be no formula for success other than spend a lot of time in the woods and be very lucky.      The Chenalt Tribe elders claim you have to be worthy to see one.  Perhaps I had the luck but was not worthy?    Makes me wonder.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I agree.  I might give this a shot.

Well, I can't seem to make the multi-quote thing work.

It's been done, since at least early bfro expeditions, e.g. the famed Skookum meadows, etc. Derek R has told the story of ticking off a large mammal while alone in the mountains with such a recording, wouldn't repeat the experiment.

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

........I just hesitate to use children as bait, LOL.

LOL, I went bear spotting while caring for my infant granddaughter often. Taking her for rides got her to nap immediately. Then I'd park my van in a pullout and glass the slopes for bears while she walked around the van using the seats to stay upright. Occasionally she'd get in my lap and play with the steering wheel or pull knobs off the instruments.

She's 6 now, and she'd be excellent sasquatch bait. She doesn't cry, but she talks incessantly with that squeaky little voice. She's a tough little runt, too. I'd sit up all night in the woods with her and a 12 gauge in my lap. Already a well experienced camper.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JKH said:

Well, I can't seem to make the multi-quote thing work.

It's been done, since at least early bfro expeditions, e.g. the famed Skookum meadows, etc. Derek R has told the story of ticking off a large mammal while alone in the mountains with such a recording, wouldn't repeat the experiment.

He did it with a baby crying audio recording.

I am going to throw a hyper-realistic baby doll into the mix.  Maybe it will tick it off enough to bring it in close.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

There seems to be no formula for success other than spend a lot of time in the woods and be very lucky. 

Well, that's what happened to us, twice. When we saw our two out in the woods, we had been elsewhere for hours and just stopped for a moment to glass the FLIR around for a quick look and BAM, there they were.

The other one - the questionable one - we were out driving, broad daylight and it caught us watching it from inside a culvert across a river. Totally random. We thought it might be a person, of course, but it acted soooo strangely and was standing in 4 inches of water just watching us. After months of hashing it out, we both kind of came to the conclusion that it was a definite maybe. And definitely just plain random BUT... in the right location. Food available, water available, cover etc. Dang things could be anywhere where those variables come together, near humans or far away. 

To a degree, I think you make your own luck. Set it up so you're 1) out there in the woods consistently, 2) in a place where there's been reports and 3) try to go at a time when people aren't usually there or 4) at a place where humans usually don't go. Luck and strategy and gear. 

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

I have to agree with going when people are not around.     Weekends, when trails are busy, or people are out in the woods shooting,   I have never had any sign of activity.     

14 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I have to agree with going when people are not around.     Weekends, when trails are busy, or people are out in the woods shooting,   I have never had any sign of activity.     

My pattern would match that, happened on a weekend and a ways off trail.