New squatch-mobile inbound!

NorthWind

Admin
28 minutes ago, McGlencoe said:

so if you have any specific Qs, post up.

That's great!  

I left the top down one day and a quick rain shower passed by. the interior got wet, everything works except the horn and the volume controls in the steering wheel. strangely enough, the cruise control on the steering wheel works fine.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

40 minutes ago, McGlencoe said:

I work in the off-road industry and work on Jeep Wranglers, Gladiators and even the new Ford Bronco almost everyday, so if you have any specific Qs, post up. I'll help the best I can.

Hey, thanks a bunch!  I am learning a lot right now and will let you know. I appreciate the offer.

IMO, rooftop tents are a tad overkill, not that I haven't considered them mind you:)  I get the original need--Africa with its handy predators but 100-150lbs up top doesn't make for a stable ride, set up is obviously limited to where you can get the rig and therein lies part of the problem I've been seeing in the desert--idiots who just spent $1500-$3500 on their RTT want rimside camping so they just drive over the microbiotic crust and all else to get there--- and the next idiot follows the tracks. I could see how they'd be great for extended cross country road tripping, especially once into the W with all of it's public land. I suppose one could pop it in a rest stop in the E without too much hassle from the law?  Blah blah. Nice new rig you have in the works there NW! Best of luck with it.

I'll second G's suggestion of a hi-lift, lift mate and add the Off Road kit/winch The latter only gets you as far as the length of the bar, but with just the 4' version that's often all one needs to get out of the pickle. https://hi-lift.com/accessories/off-road-kit/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

I get the original need--Africa with its handy predators but 100-150lbs up top doesn't make for a stable ride,

Not sure about the origin. Could be Australia due to all the creatures that want to lick you, bite you and eat you. Skippy can't climb ladders. The up top weights get larger. I have seen ratings of 215 lbs. My RTT weighs 95 lbs. Many vehicle factory roof racks can not handle the loads. Yes to top heavy,  increased load  and big windage factor= more fuel consumption. Compensate by not having a passenger and don't drive crazy.

4 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

$1500-$3500 on their RTT

The values are a starting point.  The hard top models can double the money and they are heavy. Some of the new marketing concepts have the fabric-type  tent folding down to a smaller footprint so there is room for a canoe, a kayak and bikes.  I hope that they do not lock up their brakes in Seattle traffic.

The rainflies on RTT suck. I made a huge rainfly. The stock offerings bag up condensation and rain. Always a pain to spill the water on the stock flies.

RTT camping is definitely not for everyone.

You have a 37--38 year old Land Rover with diesel engine. I guess Defender. You have to make a reservation to merge into freeway traffic? Steel frame, diesel, low battery box, aluminum ( al--u- min--e-um ,  invented by the British ) body. I did not think that they were top heavy.  Diesel vehicles can install parking heaters. Can your windshield fold down forward or do the windshield wipers block that move?    In Seattle, there is an independent Land Rover repair shop.  "LaMorna Garage". The lot is filled with old Land Rovers. The coolest old LR that I have seen locally has the vertical capstan winch on the front bumper.

Land Rovers are the F-150s in the rest of the world.

Edited by Catmandoo
text

5 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Not sure about the origin. Could be Australia due to all the creatures that want to lick you, bite you and eat you. Skippy can't climb ladders. The up top weights get larger. I have seen ratings of 215 lbs. My RTT weighs 95 lbs. Many vehicle factory roof racks can not handle the loads. Yes to top heavy,  increased load  and big windage factor= more fuel consumption. Compensate by not having a passenger and don't drive crazy.

The values are a starting point.  The hard top models can double the money and they are heavy. Some of the new marketing concepts have the fabric-type  tent folding down to a smaller footprint so there is room for a canoe, a kayak and bikes.  I hope that they do not lock up their brakes in Seattle traffic.

The rainflies on RTT suck. I made a huge rainfly. The stock offerings bag up condensation and rain. Always a pain to spill the water on the stock flies.

RTT camping is definitely not for everyone.

You have a 37--38 year old Land Rover with diesel engine. I guess Defender. You have to make a reservation to merge into freeway traffic? Steel frame, diesel, low battery box, aluminum ( al--u- min--e-um ,  invented by the British ) body. I did not think that they were top heavy.  Diesel vehicles can install parking heaters. Can your windshield fold down forward or do the windshield wipers block that move?    In Seattle, there is an independent Land Rover repair shop.  "LaMorna Garage". The lot is filled with old Land Rovers. The coolest old LR that I have seen locally has the vertical capstan winch on the front bumper.

Land Rovers are the F-150s in the rest of the world.

95 lbs eh, not too bad. Which tent? I'd looked at Eezi-awn for quite a while, not light but well built. Out in UT, Tepuis are nearly as common as bumper stickers, I assume they are a decent tent. While I like to set up camp and stay local, the nature of the North Maine Woods makes that a little difficult, much prefer to have a tent lakeside and be able to explore elsewhere without having to break down/set up. No, the LR110s are definitely not top heavy, not much going on above the frame/driveline. Top comes off windshield will fold forward, haven't done that, not worth the trouble, imo in the NE region.  No reservations for on ramps needed surprisingly, most folks make way for the old girl, it's kinda neat.  I did install an Airtronic diesel fired heater, thing of beauty those! and built a carpeted platform in the back, like sleeping in a clearstory-- storage underneath for 5gal water, (2) 5 gal jerries diesel, hi-lift, compressor, tools and recovery gear, fluids etc... All kept low.  Those PTO capstan winches are slick! 

I think I've decided to forget about the tent option for me, and go with maybe a Diamondback bed cover, as I really like the waterproofing it offers. Versatile, too. You can mount the hi-lift (thank you very much for the suggestion), shovel, and a rifle even directly to the bottom with fist clamps and still have room for other gear, and have the option to add a rack for the canoe when I want it. 

It's only been a little over a week since I ordered it and it feels like an eternity.

Now I want to think about lighting. It might be cool to have an IR spotlight that is rotatable from the cab, along with a regular spot that I can turn on at will. A guy can dream.

9 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I think I've decided to forget about the tent option for me, and go with maybe a Diamondback bed cover, as I really like the waterproofing it offers. Versatile, too. You can mount the hi-lift (thank you very much for the suggestion), shovel, and a rifle even directly to the bottom with fist clamps and still have room for other gear, and have the option to add a rack for the canoe when I want it. 

It's only been a little over a week since I ordered it and it feels like an eternity.

Now I want to think about lighting. It might be cool to have an IR spotlight that is rotatable from the cab, along with a regular spot that I can turn on at will. A guy can dream.

Driving with night vision, sounds like the Cannonball Run! Good idea though. I'd like to add some peripheral lights up top sometime.

No, not driving with NV, but using it to scan. I don't think I would have the courage to drive with just NV in some of the places we go.

^^^^ When I was on the BFRO expedition we got to play with the "R2D2" unit on a night drive.   The driver sat in the front seat.    2 people, one operating the unit and one holding a TV, sat in the back seat.   Had to be careful not to blind the driver with the TV screen.    It was a whole lot of fun.    We were able to see little tweety birds .. night birds .. in the road ahead of us, see them get up and fly to a bush and sit as we went by.   Saw deer on the hillsides.    One of the other groups saw a bear.   I'd like to borrow it for a few nights to drive a particular area I think should be active that has a 30+ mile rectangle you could drive in good locations the whole time.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, MIB said:

^^^^ When I was on the BFRO expedition we got to play with the "R2D2" unit on a night drive.   The driver sat in the front seat.    2 people, one operating the unit and one holding a TV, sat in the back seat.   Had to be careful not to blind the driver with the TV screen.    It was a whole lot of fun.    We were able to see little tweety birds .. night birds .. in the road ahead of us, see them get up and fly to a bush and sit as we went by.   Saw deer on the hillsides.    One of the other groups saw a bear.   I'd like to borrow it for a few nights to drive a particular area I think should be active that has a 30+ mile rectangle you could drive in good locations the whole time.

Can you explain the R2D2 unit? I don't know what that is, embarrassingly enough.

50 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Can you explain the R2D2 unit? I don't know what that is, embarrassingly enough.

Just a 360 degree dome flir unit mounted on a roof that resembles R2D2. I think now that technology fits in the palm of your hand.

16 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

95 lbs eh, not too bad. Which tent? I'd looked at Eezi-awn for quite a while, not light but well built. Out in UT, Tepuis are nearly as common as bumper stickers, I assume they are a decent tent.

I started with the basic Tepui Explorer Ayer 2. I have the silver colored fabric canopy. My tent version is not available from the 'new' Thule Tepui. I have 2 doors, Thule has 1. Thule changed the fabric and claims 4 season capability. These tents are for dry, warm weather camping. One has to make modifications for cold and wet weather. Don't know about the fandom in Utah. Tepui was started by California dudes. If purchased through REI,  the member gets a dividend over $100. The California Tepui shop would have 'garage sale' items available at deep discounts: demo units, accessories and scratch & dent from shipping damage. Tepui was sold in 2018 for $6.5 million. A prospective RTT camper needs to do a lot of research. The manufacturers will always lie about the insane condensation.

9 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Nothin' to be embarrassed about.   It is a surplus thermal imager.     It is a half sphere ... looks considerably like R2D2's domed top (from Star Wars) thus the nickname.     Normally they are mounted on the under side of fire detection aircraft .. helicopters and small planes.   BFRO mounts theirs (they have 2) "upside down" on top of a vehicle.    They were featured on several Finding Bigfoot episodes.

Even though the technology is a bit dated now they've still got better resolution than anything I've seen in the handheld range plus, since they output to a TV screen, they're good for a group to discuss what they're seeing where a handheld isn't of much use other than to the person holding it.    The weaknesses are cost .. even surplus they're over $13K .. and water (rain).  

MIB

• Upvote 1

Thanks, yes, I remember the episode now. IIRC, they were in a van surveying a treeline at the edge of a clearcut.  I'm not sure why, but those types of forest edges like that always intrigue me. I always stop and scan them when I can with binoculars or FLIR.

Yeah, exactly.   Now that they've thinned some of the forest areas for wildfire mitigation, we should be able to see heat signatures some hundreds of yards back into the tree line, not just the clearcuts.

Beyond the R2D2, there's stuff out there which requires security clearance for access .. suggests to me it has capabilities beyond what we realize is possible.    I wonder if FLIR needs a field tester?  :)  I'd do it even if I had to take some security folks with me to be sure I didn't run off with the toys.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic