New squatch-mobile inbound!

NorthWind

18 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Regearing would be key.

A stock Sport S puts about 190 Rear Wheel Horsepower with stock tires. I run 33s with a cold air intake and its putting 182 to the rear wheels.

Did your cold air intake increase your horsepower a lot? 

How about the sound? 

Got one on the way.

BFF Patron

I did a cold air intake on my 2012 it made a difference, more in response and helped a little with MPG. Never had the HP checked.

Nothing in regards to sound that I remember, but if you change exhaust prepare to be disappointed, there's no making the V6 sound better. 

I did away with the rear muffler entirely, and just had a straight down pipe under the cab (tiny muffler) and would change to straight pipe out the back for inspections.  

• Thanks 1

Admin
29 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Did your cold air intake increase your horsepower a lot? 

How about the sound? 

I got a Banks CAI and it did make a difference in power. It sounds great 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Foxhill said:

If you're going to run 35"s with no lift (this may have changed from my JK days) make sure you adjust the stops for the turn radius or else the tires will rub the frame.... snip

On the new Gladiator Sports you can run 35s with a small lift and no other mods. Max Tow packages you can even run a 37 lock-to-lock without any interference.

If you have the auto, you won't even feel the need to change gearing with the 35s, the new 8spd auto trans (2018+ JL/JT) is fantastic.

JKs are very antiquated in comparison.

6 hours ago, gigantor said:

They did, you can put 37" tires on the new ones without a lift kit.

I wouldn't go bigger than 35", power at the wheels would suffer too much.

No you can't. 

Well, you can on a Rubicon if you don't plan on flexing the suspension at all. Been there, done that. Drove it for one night and promptly put a 2.5" lift kit on to be able to drive it proper.

LOL

This is what I am getting from everywhere - conflicting info.  I feel like Vinnie Barbarino at times.

Still, I appreciate the information. 

Admin
9 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

If you have the auto, you won't even feel the need to change gearing with the 35s, the new 8spd auto trans (2018+ JL/JT) is fantastic.

He has the manual.

4 hours ago, NorthWind said:

LOL

This is what I am getting from everywhere - conflicting info.  I feel like Vinnie Barbarino at times.

Still, I appreciate the information. 

I literally work on the new JL and JTs (and now the new Broncos) everyday. I don't have experience with all the brands of parts out there, I do have experience with most of the quality brands.

6 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

I literally work on the new JL and JTs (and now the new Broncos) everyday. I don't have experience with all the brands of parts out there, I do have experience with most of the quality brands.

Well I appreciate it, McGlencoe!

Rhino Rack Pioneer platform is on the way. Thank you for the suggestion. Looks perfect for me. 

Have you any experience with the Decked system? I really want a way to keep my stuff dry (and secure). Tonneaus leak. The Diamondback bed covers look good, and hold a lot of weight,  but are pricey. Not sure I want a bed rack now. With the roof rack and a hitch-mounted canoe carrier, I should be mostly set. 

It's all coming together. Slowly. 

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Have you any experience with the Decked system? I really want a way to keep my stuff dry (and secure). Tonneaus leak. The Diamondback bed covers look good, and hold a lot of weight,  but are pricey. Not sure I want a bed rack now. With the roof rack and a hitch-mounted canoe carrier, I should be mostly set. 

It's all coming together. Slowly. 

We've done a few Decked systems over the past couple years. They are well built and go together fairly easy.

The thing I'm not a big fan of is the space utilization. You pretty much have two drawers and then a couple small cubbies. The drawers are nice and they slide great, even with lots of weight in them. But there is a lot of lost space from the system itself. 

I know of a construction guy with one and he loves it. Also know of a gun enthusiast who loves his. Both in part because once you lock your truck, the tailgate is locked and those drawers cannot be opened. 

9 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

We've done a few Decked systems over the past couple years. They are well built and go together fairly easy.

The thing I'm not a big fan of is the space utilization. You pretty much have two drawers and then a couple small cubbies. The drawers are nice and they slide great, even with lots of weight in them. But there is a lot of lost space from the system itself. 

I know of a construction guy with one and he loves it. Also know of a gun enthusiast who loves his. Both in part because once you lock your truck, the tailgate is locked and those drawers cannot be opened. 

That was my concern, too. Also, with the adhesive it doesn't look too easy to remove if you wanted to.

Maybe I should just buck up and go with the Diamondback. IDK

Thanks!

15 hours ago, NorthWind said:

That was my concern, too. Also, with the adhesive it doesn't look too easy to remove if you wanted to.

Maybe I should just buck up and go with the Diamondback. IDK

Thanks!

The adhesive tape will come right up with a little heat gun action.

Did you get the optional spray-in Bedliner?  If not, you might make that one of your first mods, they do a great job protecting the bed.

8 hours ago, McGlencoe said:

The adhesive tape will come right up with a little heat gun action.

Did you get the optional spray-in Bedliner?  If not, you might make that one of your first mods, they do a great job protecting the bed.

Yes, to the spray-in bedliner. I will always have that in a truck bed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the saga continues...

Another week has passed, and still no Jeep. But, I am getting ready for it. My little home is filled with goodies. Bumpers, skid plates, roof racks, canoe carrier, a few lights, and today, I was at Harbor Freight to take advantage of a sale they had. Picked up a 12k synthetic lined winch, and a couple of odds and ends. When I loaded all into the F150 I have, it refused to start. I think it knows what's going on and it's jealous!

Fortunately, I have AAA Plus. If you do not have this service, get it! It has saved my bacon more times that I am willing to admit in public. They towed my truck 15 miles to my home as I live out in the "country" now. Monday, I will take it in to the mechanic. Not sure what's wrong. If I had to guess, I would guess something preventing fuel from flowing. It cranks, but doesn't want to "catch". Could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. Unfortunately, the closest auto parts place is a few miles down the road and it's raining and blowing like hell right now. Battery's dead now, too, from trying to start it.

Funny thing is that I got a driver who had previously helped @Madison5716 recently. He had a bigfoot sighting not long ago and gave me the location. He told me that he grew up in the woods, and has hunted all his life. What he saw, he said, was unmistakable. It was not a bear. It walked on two legs and crossed the road in front of him. He said, "It was not a bear. It was a Bigfoot." He had never believed until that moment. Now he's fascinated and wanted to hear all about out sightings, and our outings.

So, talk to people. Chances are good you'll get a good lead. I'm going to go look up this spot on Google Earth now. Not that I have a way to get there.

20211211_154807.jpg

And now for the most important part....who did your artwork?

P.S. Wet day? Crack or moisture got into in the distributor cap. Just a guess....from experience. Happened three times with a 2002 GMC Safari AWD mini cargo van. And yes! AAA saved the day twice. The dealer paid for the first tow.

Edited by hiflier