Sierra Sounds

Patterson-Gimlin

For those of you that have observed these creatures, have you ever heard them make sounds similar to the infamous Sierra Sounds?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

While I have heard on occasion what I thought was whispering or distant unintelligible voices out in the woods, I cannot say that I have heard anything quite like Ron's recordings. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve never visually observed a BF, at best it was a class b.  My experience was a small tree uprooted and thrown into the tree canopy and the shaking of nearby trees.    Intimidation tactics is my thought.   They worked, we exited the area hastily.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

For those of you that have observed these creatures, have you ever heard them make sounds similar to the infamous Sierra Sounds?

I have not seen them and heard the sounds simultaneously so you could say I can't definitely connect the two.   I have seen 2 for sure, 2 others w/ 98%+ probability, and I have heard "unintelligible voices" 2-3 times.  In one instance I thought they were human .. muffled English maybe .. and once it was more "tonal" quasi-gibberish.   

I think my hiking / bigfooting partner is in the same boat .. with a little more connection.    The incident where he heard the low pitched samurai sound type vocalizations, one of them put a very huge hand on his tent and he was able to make out fingertips / thumb tip impressions that were way way way beyond human proportions.   The others were roughly 20-25 feet away based on what he showed me at the site a couple years ago.

MIB

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twist said:

I’ve never visually observed a BF, at best it was a class b.  My experience was a small tree uprooted and thrown into the tree canopy and the shaking of nearby trees.    Intimidation tactics is my thought.   They worked, we exited the area hastily.

I wonder what sasquatches think when a human makes a mad dash for the exit door as a result of their posturing.  It would be quite interesting if one could muster the nerve to just calmly stay there and watch their reaction. In essence, to call their bluff.

Granted, it would take nerves of steel to abandon the hard-wired response of flight.

2 hours ago, MIB said:

I have not seen them and heard the sounds simultaneously so you could say I can't definitely connect the two.   I have seen 2 for sure, 2 others w/ 98%+ probability, and I have heard "unintelligible voices" 2-3 times.  In one instance I thought they were human .. muffled English maybe .. and once it was more "tonal" quasi-gibberish.   

I think my hiking / bigfooting partner is in the same boat .. with a little more connection.    The incident where he heard the low pitched samurai sound type vocalizations, one of them put a very huge hand on his tent and he was able to make out fingertips / thumb tip impressions that were way way way beyond human proportions.   The others were roughly 20-25 feet away based on what he showed me at the site a couple years ago.

MIB

MIB...were any of your sightings/encounters while you were alone?

18 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

I wonder what sasquatches think when a human makes a mad dash for the exit door as a result of their posturing.  It would be quite interesting if one could muster the nerve to just calmly stay there and watch their reaction. In essence, to call their bluff.

Granted, it would take nerves of steel to abandon the hard-wired response of flight.

Just my opinion, while very capable, I believe BF to be rather passive aggressive.  Almost all cases of aggression towards humans are just bluffs and displays.   No doubt their are situations where this would not be the case i.e. protecting young.    

In my case, my cousin and I at 12-13 years of age were not hanging around.   I’d like to think the BF got a kick out of making us run like our heads were on fire and our asses were catching…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

MIB...were any of your sightings/encounters while you were alone?

Taking the 4 sightings .. probable + certain, 3 of 4 I was solo.     Other stuff, maybe roughly 75% solo, just guessing.

I've heard indistinct voices in the woods, same place where a tree came down on a calm day, and branches have been broken on calm days. Voices odd enough to draw attention but indistinct enough to be confused with someone chatting out of view. I couldn't make out even the language used.

Doesn't mean it's bigfoot, of course, more likely pereidolia on my part. Hearing random noises in the woods or far far off talking carried on the wind.

Sierra sounds sound to me like language, and perhaps people incapable of speech using speech. I once heard a nonvocal woman make sounds just like speech, but entirely unintelligible. (And no, this isn't a blonde mother-in-law joke.) Or this video below? Almost like aphasia. Able to produce things like words, but with no meaning.

Today normal vocal inflection, but zero information being conveyed.

We heard what sounded like a higher pitched version in the mountains nearby a few years ago, but the volume was nowhere near the Sierra Sounds.  We have heard voices in the woods that seemed to be speaking some sort of babble, but we never saw the source.

Our action cams couldn’t pick it up, though.  We invested pretty heavily in digital audio recorders and even picked up a portable parabolic microphone…but, have never been able to capture it.  Sometimes I feel like we are chasing the phenomena with technology…and no matter what we do it stays a few steps ahead.

The thing that gets me with the Sierra Sounds is…why has no one ever recorded an equivalent event?  Samurai Chatter has been mentioned quite often by witnesses… especially over the last few years.  I really haven’t even come across poor quality recordings of other similar events.

• Upvote 1

I think the primary reason no one has ever recorded any equivalent is the clan of 

Bigfeet became accustomed to Mr. Morehead and company on their turf. The recordings took place 

over a span of several years, very deep in the Sierra Nevada mountains. 

They (bigfeet) must have felt very comfortable around the hunters, seeing as how it was essentially the same

group of hunters (for the most part) coming year after year, and to the exact same location as well.

As Mr. Morehead stated at one point in the recordings, and I'm paraphrasing here," On this particular evening they seemed glad to see us and welcomed into camp". It was on that particular night when they got the clearest and longest vocalizations. 

• Upvote 1

Over the last several years we've heard something similar, not quite as loud or nearly as close range, but weve heard it with multiple witnesses. We tried recording it both time but they were both durring early to mid summer, in different years, while the cicada were out and just killing our microphones.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all so much for responding. That was very informative. 

The reason I ask is being an ardent skeptic and mostly dismissing Sasquatch evidence. 

I have always been interested in sounds that can't be explained. 

Anyway,after much research and collaboration with fellow scientists without going into more explanation.

I must admit I was wrong about the Sierra Sounds. 

I have reluctantly concluded and now after many years believing them to be hoaxed by humans. 

They are made by  unidentified undocumented animals. 

Edited by Patterson-Gimlin
  • Upvote 3

SSR Team
9 hours ago, cromag said:

I think the primary reason no one has ever recorded any equivalent is.....

Don't be so sure.

This is a recording that my brother from another mother Chris Spencer got. IMO this is at the very minimum 'comparable' to what was recorded in the Sierra's.

Washington, Southern Cascades.

*Use of headphones is suggested* On January 3rd of 2016 I recorded an odd vocal in an area I call T1 that I believe the target subjects winter in. I placed audio out at about 5 p.m., dusk, and this recording occurs at 7:37 p.m. It was snowing like crazy that night and the recorder was in a marshy area with lots of old growth cedar bordering it. My good friend David Hallet cleaned the clip up for me. He's a bit of a sound wizard and was able to remove a lot of the ambient noise to bring the vocal out. Unfortunately, there was an airplane flying over when the vocal occurred.

at least 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Twist said:

........My experience was a small tree uprooted and thrown into the tree canopy and the shaking of nearby trees.    Intimidation tactics is my thought.   They worked, we exited the area hastily.

19 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

......It would be quite interesting if one could muster the nerve to just calmly stay there and watch their reaction. In essence, to call their bluff.

Granted, it would take nerves of steel to abandon the hard-wired response of flight..........

Body language. It's the most basic form of communication, both inter-species and within species. Both gorillas and bears often use bluff charges and posturing. I've never been bluff charged by a bear, but I likely won't tolerate it, unless it's over before I squeeze the trigger. 

Interestingly, wolves are a different story. Again, I'm not surprised that they were the first animal domesticated by man, and they're the most common wild animal to nurse and care for human infants turned feral. Having had several very close encounters with wild wolves here in Alaska, I had another this past August on a solitary caribou hunt. I did not speak to her (like I have done in the past with other wolves), but I should have. My basic body language was no movement and facing her, and hers was pure curiosity. 

7 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

Thank you all so much for responding. That was very informative. 

The reason I ask is being an ardent skeptic and mostly dismissing Sasquatch evidence. 

I have always been interested in sounds that can't be explained. 

Anyway,after much research and collaboration with fellow scientists without going into more explanation.

I must admit I was wrong about the Sierra Sounds. 

I have reluctantly concluded and now after many years believing them to be hoaxed by humans. 

They are made by  unidentified undocumented animals. 

That's a giant-step forward PG.

• Thanks 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic