Sierra Sounds

Patterson-Gimlin

On 11/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, Twist said:

I’d like to think the BF got a kick out of making us run like our heads were on fire and our ***** were catching…..

Sasquatch is a Charlie Daniels fan?  :lol:

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

.......People say “Well, everyone carries a camera in their pocket nowadays.  There should be tons of clear photos.  Where are the pictures?”

Easier said than done.  Action cams can run for extended periods of time, as well as handle abuse and motion…but, they suck at distances.  Cell phone cameras are not really suited for this…......

See the wolf behind my tent? It's less than 100 yards away from where I took the pic.

Cell phone cameras suck.

This wolf was @ 10 yards away at one point, but my cell phone was off (to conserve the battery) and in my daybag when this wolf approached. After she left to check out my sleeping tent, I ducked into the cook tent, got the camera out, and shot this pic. 

Cell phone cameras are great for snapshots, but that's about it.

0DCD2A57-3A26-4560-AAEE-4E35DACB3660.jpeg

16 hours ago, BobbyO said:

Don't be so sure.

This is a recording that my brother from another mother Chris Spencer got. IMO this is at the very minimum 'comparable' to what was recorded in the Sierra's.

Washington, Southern Cascades.

*Use of headphones is suggested* On January 3rd of 2016 I recorded an odd vocal in an area I call T1 that I believe the target subjects winter in. I placed audio out at about 5 p.m., dusk, and this recording occurs at 7:37 p.m. It was snowing like crazy that night and the recorder was in a marshy area with lots of old growth cedar bordering it. My good friend David Hallet cleaned the clip up for me. He's a bit of a sound wizard and was able to remove a lot of the ambient noise to bring the vocal out. Unfortunately, there was an airplane flying over when the vocal occurred.

at least 

Thank you very much for sharing. I did listen on headphones. 

6 minutes ago, Huntster said:

See the wolf behind my tent? It's less than 100 yards away from where I took the pic.

Cell phone cameras suck.

This wolf was @ 10 yards away at one point, but my cell phone was off (to conserve the battery) and in my daybag when this wolf approached. After she left to check out my sleeping tent, I ducked into the cook tent, got the camera out, and shot this pic. 

Cell phone cameras are great for snapshots, but that's about it.

0DCD2A57-3A26-4560-AAEE-4E35DACB3660.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. She is very close and alone.  That is certainly a good thing. 

That sure is a barren looking place you are camping.  Where are the trees 🌳?

12 hours ago, GuyInIndiana said:

Edited to Add: Yes, I absolutely believe the Sierra Sounds are real.

I may have shared these before, but they have some verbalization in them. I probably have some better examples I'll have to go look for. 

These took place in June of 2012. We had gone down for the night by maybe 1:30am, then at 2:24am something started to move in behind camp. These were recorded on a Zoom H2 about 75 - 80 feet east of my camper, under an oak tree. The vocalists were both west and south of camp. This lasted in spurts from 2:24am until right about 5am. The first clip is a condensed edit (removed dead air to keep it from being unnecessarily long) from 2:24am thru 2:30am. The second clip is roughly from 2:30 - 2:50 - condensed with dead time removed. If I can find some better examples of hearing them 'talk', I'll add it later.

extended-vocal-display-1.mp3 2.99 MB · 18 downloads extended-vocal-display-2.mp3 4.07 MB · 11 downloads extended-vocal-display-3.mp3 504.94 kB · 8 downloads

Wow 👌. Thank you so very much for sharing. 

16 minutes ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

........That sure is a barren looking place you are camping.  Where are the trees 🌳?

This is  pass through the Watana Hills, elevation @ 3800'. Tree line here is @ 3000' elevation. No trees above that altitude. It allows great spot and stalk hunting. You can literally see animals miles away. But even then, it's remarkable how they can still sneak up on you.

AFC87F6E-F744-4A93-A6C5-06A0B47C804A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic

Yes, lots of interesting info. Guy, your stuff is always impressive, that last one sounds like some old MK Davis audio that was captured at close range. It's amazing how they can sound very human at times, but also definitely inhuman in their range and volume.

Speaking as an audio buff, the vocal recordings are the most fascinating evidence. The Sierra recordings are right up there with the PG film in the important classics. It would be hard to keep up with all the audio gathered nowadays with modern equipment, so exciting!

I have captured some odd vocal audio over the years, one example is from last year on pg. 8 of the audio thread. Not the best, due to distance, but odd and like an exchange. Have recorded similar examples, at least one for instance higher pitched, which I interpret as possible parent-child.

I haven't recorded much this year, time to get back to it!

• Upvote 1

Huntster

Your photo of the wolf looks like there seems to be two wolves in the photo. One wolf in front of the other. But you would know since I was not there. Very nice photo though.

Anybody familiar with this site: www.sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.com        ???

Edited by Mizzy D

SSR Team
4 hours ago, Mizzy D said:

Anybody familiar with this site: www.sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot.com        ???

Is that Monongehela's (sp?) website ?

• gigantor unfeatured this topic