Top Three Suggestions

DrPSH

I have great respect for the researchers using this forum, and have read (and re-read) the many threads where you kindly offer your advice regarding a myriad of research-related matters, be it knives, backpacks, appropriate chilling techniques, tents, thermals, flashlights, protecting the campsite, etc. Thank you for sharing what you have learned during your endeavors, I very much appreciate it.

My adult son and I are preparing ourselves for launching field research activities in 2022, and want to be as ready as we can be. I had the great fortune of growing up in a family that loved the outdoors. So I'm able to most of the time tell up from down, but I am old enough to know that I would be smart to leverage, if possible, great advice from experts before launching a new activity. I'm a scientist by training (biochemistry and public health) so appreciate being prepared when possible!

So...if you would be so kind, please share your top three suggestions for new researchers. What are the must haves, or must do recommendations that you would suggest for those new to field research? Apologies if this specific topic has previously been addressed. I appreciate your suggestions in advance. And an almost happy new year to everyone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

First thing I'd do, part a) is to download / install mangani's bigfoot overlay for Google Earth, and part b) is study up on our SSR.    Look for areas with concentrations of bigfoot activity .. ignore the year, group by season.   Figure out what the most likely thing that has brought them to the area is.     Key your activities on that "thing".    Second thing is to maximize your time in your chosen location.   It's like fishin' .. you catch more with a line in the water than you do wishing you had a line in the water.   A corollary to that is to find something else you truly enjoy doing in that location so that you're not getting frustrated and giving up if the bigfooting is slow .. and it almost certainly will be.   Third thing is to purchase clothing and camping gear appropriate to being comfortable in that specific location at the time of year that coincides with the activity concentration.

Then go enjoy yourself. 

I don't really look for bigfoot.   I've done my research to know where, and when, are most likely.   I go there, then, and do something else .. usually fish, but sometimes hunt, explore, take pictures of scenery .. in other words, be available for something to happen but don't try to force it ('cause you can't).

One thing I do not do is try to be sneaky.   Be obvious.   Don't be obnoxious, but don't bother trying to stay hidden.   Failed furtiveness is about the worst thing that can happen 'cause it means you're dangerous .. you're up to something.

Best o' luck out there ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There you have it, I couldn't have said it better. My own experiences, some 40 + years ago, were while just out exploring new to me logging roads in a watershed I hadn't visited before.

The only thing I'll add is Thomas Steenburg's mantra of ALWAYS having your camera at hand, as sightings are almost always very brief.

• Upvote 1

I agree with MIB on coupling enjoyment activities with research. Much has been reported by people who knew nothing about such a creature as a Sasquatch but had an experience while doing other things like camping, fishing, hunting, biking, hiking, etc. All are enjoyable activities for most, but for a researcher there is that other level of watchfulness for sign and/or evidence that underscores those activities.

With your background you could also approach this as you would a biology experiment. Because even for the pursuit of the Sasquatch the scientific method can be implemented. As such, there are perhaps some steps you may wish to take. One might help is to define your goal. In other words, what might you be trying to accomplish? Like anything else, there are different possible outcomes for different activities, any of which could result with a sighting. Looking for footprints, nut cracking stations, listening for knocks or howls or whistles, trying to get audio recordings or photos and other endeavors will definitely keep any researcher, or research party, on their toes. Having an end goal with regard to the Sasquatch investigative experience helps to narrow down equipment, expense, and time spent so that the enjoyable things don't get left behind.

Lots more to say about this concerning specifics, but defining what you are after and hope to gain for yourself and your Son, beyond spending quality time together, will go far in how you design your endeavors.

Edited by hiflier
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrPSH said:

I have great respect for the researchers using this forum, and have read (and re-read) the many threads where you kindly offer your advice regarding a myriad of research-related matters, be it knives, backpacks, appropriate chilling techniques, tents, thermals, flashlights, protecting the campsite, etc. Thank you for sharing what you have learned during your endeavors, I very much appreciate it.

My adult son and I are preparing ourselves for launching field research activities in 2022, and want to be as ready as we can be. I had the great fortune of growing up in a family that loved the outdoors. So I'm able to most of the time tell up from down, but I am old enough to know that I would be smart to leverage, if possible, great advice from experts before launching a new activity. I'm a scientist by training (biochemistry and public health) so appreciate being prepared when possible!

So...if you would be so kind, please share your top three suggestions for new researchers. What are the must haves, or must do recommendations that you would suggest for those new to field research? Apologies if this specific topic has previously been addressed. I appreciate your suggestions in advance. And an almost happy new year to everyone.

I want to harvest one. So take my slant with a grain of salt.

I will skip the general camping-Survival gear. And just focus on Bigfoot specifics.

My set up looks like a cross between a big game hunter and a predator hunter.

An appropriate hunting license for the state your in. Depending on the predator you may or may not need a tag also depending on state

Appropriate rifle for a large animal that your comfortable to shoot with

Appropriate butchering implement

A ruck or pack board

Game bags

Predator calls (I don’t whoop or knock,etc) I attempt to appeal to its stomach.

A recon ghillie 

Face paint

Decoys (I had a fawn now trying a cow elk 2D)

Binoculars (I use vortex)

Navigation tools. (I’m running OnX hunt maps right now)

Bear Spray (In case you want something to go away without killing it)

Flashlight

Additional items

A sidearm

Thermal or night vision

Tac light and attachment to weapon (check state laws)

Game scent (to mask your own, if your sounding like a Elk? May as well smell like one. Deer, whatever)

Pruning shears

drone (great scouting tool)

Scouting

What MIB said about reports. Also place names. Such as Devils ridge or Skookum lakes, etc. I choose locations not well traveled also. Think like a hunter. Busy campgrounds are not the place to fire rifles off or wound a potentially dangerous creature. I also try to identify ridges and saddles that are easier traveling. Work dark creek bottoms as well. Stuff usually needs to come to water at some point. Look for lots of deer and elk sign. Berry patches and other food sources. I have had a few reports of lairs. Be on the lookout for a protected place full of ungulate bones. 

Setup

Apes have trichromatic vision including Homo Sapiens. Hide your outline, get rid of shine. Be aware of wind direction. Setup where you are concealed and yet can see out. A good call set will have multiple shooting lanes. Don’t be afraid to make some by clipping vegetation. If you plan on staying awhile? Use vegetation to make a hide. Weave branches together for further concealment. If your gonna use a decoy? Make sure it’s deployed in an open area where you can spot something stalking it. Your hunting the hunter!

Calling 

This is tricky. You can scare Coyotes and Bobcats away with too much calling. A Bear? They typically are afraid of only bigger bears and have the attention span of a gnat. If you don't call enough? They will lose interest. What are Bigfoot like? I don’t know. Start with a lower volume calling and then slowly get louder. You don’t want to sound like a 800 lbs dying rabbit to something you setup on unaware. If your trying to sound like Elk? Multiple different calls in multiple different direction. Cows and calves all talking together. There are hundreds of different call setups and combos. I use both mouth calls and a electronic caller. Regardless your gonna see animals. Sets are usually 1/2 to an 1 hr. Then typically I pack up and move on.

The danger is real too. It’s best to have a buddy watching your six. If not? Keep your head on a swivel! Predators can respond to calls on you in the wrong direction. Either for whatever the reason they don’t wind you or they just don’t care. Some of the scariest encounters are with predators that fully know your human and they just don’t care. E callers and decoys are better because your not drawing the animal right onto your lap. 

Now. This is an experiment. Maybe a Bigfoot only eats berries and walks the other way when they hear your calls. Dunno.

If your completely against killing one? This system still has the potential to work! A person could replace the rifle with a pneumatic dart gun armed with a biopsy dart. DNA is important, your just not harvesting a 800 lbs sample…. Lastly (I guess) you could be armed with a camera. I don’t think cool video will prove the animals existence but whatever. It’s your choice.

Catmandoo is gonna come by and tell you that you don’t find Bigfoot, Bigfoot finds you. Well, how did Roger and Bob ride up on Patty? There are many examples of these things being bewildered by chance encounters. But this could also be used against Bigfoot. Setting up a tradition camp and a fire and talking with someone over watching the camp camouflaged could work as well. The bait isn’t Elk or Rabbits….. but Humans. Slightly morbid, but if everyone knows the risks going in? It has potential.

Hopefully this helps give you some ideas!

Be safe out there!

• Upvote 3

Great advice above for sure! And it's smart to ask people who are doing what you want to be doing for advice. 

A "top three" is not something I can do, but will try to give you some help.

I was a boy scout in my youth, so I would say always, always be prepared for anything. Your mind is your greatest asset, and it can also be a big liability. Weird stuff happens and things can change in the blink of an eye, but never panic. Let someone know where you are heading, and when you will be back. Especially if you are "off trail".  I carry a crap-ton of stuff, more than I need 99.999% of the time. But if I have to spend the night or several, I can. First aid. Navs. Food. Water / purification. The usual - and with backups. Know well who you are and your limitations and your strengths. Know your partner's, too. I fully trust @Madison5716out there even though we are very different people. We share a love of the outdoors, and bigfoot. Plus, I know that if I find any cool rocks, she will be glad to pack them out for me, right, @Madison5716?   :thumbsup:   But trust is huge.

If you need any specific info - shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to help. 

Whereabouts do you intend on looking? Just a general state / area - not specifics. It might help to get more specific suggestions.

Admin

All of the above, I will just add:  know your research area.

Step #1 imo is to go out into the filed with a map and explore it  thoroughly. Go where the water is, where the valleys are,  where the highest point is, etc. get to know your territory, it will help you immensely.

6 hours ago, DrPSH said:

So...if you would be so kind, please share your top three suggestions for new researchers. What are the must haves, or must do recommendations that you would suggest for those new to field research?

Good luck to you and your son. @DrPSH! Any excuse to get out in the woods is a good one, and doing field research is a great reason!

1. There's enough sites out there with the 10 C's of bushcraft, and I'd recommend those things to carry at all times, or at least most of those. Being safe is your #1 goal so you can return and do it all over again another time.

2. Buy the best gear that you can afford and know how to use it. Run a recorder at your vehicle while you're out on the trail/in the woods. If you can figure out a back-cam, do that.

3. Finally, do research on your particular area. Look online EVERYWHERE for sightings reports, local legends, look at maps for squatchy sounding names etc. Make your own map and see what is in your area. 

4. No rocks.

Added: I like the recommendation to be "doing something else" while also researching. Take photos. Hunt mushrooms. Do some bushcraft stuff. Go fishing. Go camping. Have fun and keep your ears open. Agreed - Make sure you and your son are on the "same page" on your goals and abilities. Also agreed - don't bother being sneaky. 

Edited by Madison5716
  • Sad 1

Excellent advice above!

1) Be safe! Don't take risks. Be especially wary of falls, water, and bad weather.

2) Have fun! Pursue activities that you love in good sasquatch habitat, be it hiking, hunting, fishing, wildlife watching, photography, whatever. You can find good areas using the BFRO database of sasquatch reports as well as the SSR Database on this website or any one of many books about sasquatchery. 

3) Be observant and ready! Keep that camera or rifle slung at all times! All sasquatch databases are filled to the brim of witnesses who left the rifle/camera in the truck, at home, in camp, etc. Me? GUILTY! On a multi-day, 50 mile backpacking/fishing trip, I brought no camera at all. Of course, that's when I came across the only sasquatch footprint trackway of my life. :nono:

Lots of great advice above.  The beautiful thing about this forum is the wide variety of approaches and methodologies.

You say that you have grown up in the outdoors, so I will skip any of the outdoors basics.  

1) Always be recording.  It doesn’t really matter what your goal is… obtaining evidence to advance the public’s acceptance of the existence of these creatures or simply seeking experiences of your own.  The first time you hear or see something truly out of the ordinary and you don’t have any sort of film or audio running…you are going to always regret it.  Don’t join the ranks of those of us who always bemoan the ‘one that got away’.

Get an inexpensive digital audio recorder and a basic action cam off of Amazon.  Start the digital recorder the moment you exit your vehicle.  Experiment with the placement of the recorder on your pack…find the best spot that picks up the least amount of your own noise.  Mount your action cam on your chest or pack…preferably with some sort of auxiliary power source to keep it running.  You won’t have time to dig out your camera and get it filming if you encounter activity…you need to have it already going. 

You don’t need top of the line equipment to start out.  You can always add or upgrade equipment later.  If I can offer any suggestions to you on these items, please don’t hesitate to ask.  Shoot me a message.

2) Try to identify a possible area to research that is within a couple of hours from your home.  The further away your potential research area is…the less time you will spend there.  Learn what wildlife inhabits that area…and more importantly learn how that wildlife effects their environment.  We average a couple of bear prints a month that are sent to us by excited people thinking that they are hot on the trail of Bigfoot.  You are probably familiar enough with the outdoors to avoid that pitfall, but get a baseline reading for what is normal in your area.  A quick side note about your area…if you happen to run across anyone else while out there, NEVER tell them they you are looking for Sasquatch.  You will open yourself up for possible hoaxing and will never really be able to trust the authenticity of anything you find or hear.  If anyone asks why you are recording…you are starting a YouTube channel about your daily hikes.  

3) If you don’t already, learn the basics of tracking…both animals and humans.  Learn how to use the angle of the sun to your advantage in order to find possible prints easier.  Learn how to search for sign…of course keep in mind that a tracking stick designed for finding human tracks will probably be to short for what you are looking for…. Don’t get so focused on finding that stereotypical perfect Bigfoot print that you never see other possible signs around you.  

You probably have a good grasp on outdoors equipment, however I will recommend two things…

Personal locator beacons are getting more inexpensive all of the time.  Get an Inreach Mini.  Also, get a small tape measure to use to measuring the size of prints…especially in photographs.  It gives a much more accurate representation of the size of the track than just laying a dollar bill or a lighter next to a print.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Catmandoo is gonna come by and tell you that you don’t find Bigfoot, Bigfoot finds you. Well, how did Roger and Bob ride up on Patty?

Good post Norseman.   Patty set up a 'lead away' manuever to get Roger and Bob out of there. I think that it is safe to post that all animals have a 'look back' procedure.

Yes, Sasquatch finds you, you do not find Sasquatch.  Ever wonder why some have 2 encounters and then nothing for the rest of their lives?

All of the posts are very good. Norseman has a very detailed plan. I could not think of anyone else to pair up with 'Dutch' to rappel out of a Black Hawk into a jungle ( or the  streets of L.A. ) to get a Predator.  Me, I would let the Predator find me. I would be wearing double extra clay.

Boots. You need happy feet. Warm, waterproof and comfortable footwear with a suitable sole for traction in your area. Removable liners and extra liners. The heel of a boot can snag vegetation / debris. Flat sole if your feet like that.

Good posts on recording. A basic camcorder can help when it is zero dark thirty hours and you can't see your hand in front of your face. Audio can have a range of hundreds of feet in total darkness. Rainfall has not been productive. Turning on a camcorder will give you a black screen but if stereo sound is available, then you get a time stamp and left-right channels for single / multiple noises and direction of sound source(s).  ( remember to note which direction that you aim the camcorder ). Some members aim their mics in the same direction like North. Something easy to repeat.

Measuring can be difficult due to terrain.  A conventional tape measure is easy to carry and durable. There are times when a tape measure falls over due to uneven terrain. A tailors tape can be handy since it is very compliant. Clear divisions and numbering show up well in images.  The metric side is very crowded when each milimeter is imprinted. I have 6' and 10' tailor tapes.

Boots to the ground, one step at a time.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DrPSH said:

So...if you would be so kind, please share your top three suggestions for new researchers. What are the must haves, or must do recommendations that you would suggest for those new to field research?

Also.... be WHERE humans are unlikely to be, WHEN humans are unlikely to be there. 

@NorthWindLOL! Take pictures (of rocks) and leave only footprints :wub:

Edited by Madison5716

There are several over-looked details.

Nature will kill you

Nature is not a petting zoo

The above statements may look harsh but every year int PNW,  'nature' continues natural selection for those who are not paying attention.

Everyone who responded above is highly-qualified and their advice should be a stick-em for someone interested in sasquatching.  Each one could present an eight-hour course in this area of interest and just be priming their pump. I'm assuming your experience in the outdoors has prepared you to be able to summon help and protect yourself.  I'll chirp in a few my thoughts of the top three.

1.  Identify Where To Go by Focusing on Specific Land Features

I've scanned lots of published eye-witness reports and have listened very carefully to sightings that never make it to the public's eye. Even though reports can seem desperately random, I'm always searching for the common thread and then a second and even third similar feature.  Where I go, I believe it is small bodies of water. Ponds being the primary, difficult terrain allowing for easy escape being second, and creeks leading into or out of them third. For others, it might be the forest line, hollow, hills, cliffs, or mountainsides.

In order to determine which new ones to investigate, I study the topo maps to see that all three features are present. Every footprint I've seen has been near water and the best ones were in areas with quick access to a steep hill or mountain, or a swamp.  

2) Go Where or When Others Do Not Go

In almost every case, I hike or backpack into one of my locations. Preferably, I want to bushwhack to get there which eliminates almost everyone else.  If you have to work to get there, it will be a place that others don't go or rarely go. The remote pond on the other side of the mountain. The same concept applies where you access things by something motorized. Go off-road or drive deeper into the area. An ATV can reach areas that a vehicle simply cannot. 

The attraction to sasquatching at night, or before sunrise, is that I believe you increase your odds. Most people have left the woods. If you subscribe to the notion that sasquatch finds you, you want to be out there where and when no one else is around.  If an area has "X" number of people by day, it probably has a maximum of 5% of "X" at night (maybe even none). If that is the case, then you've increased your odds twenty fold of sasquatch finding you.  Knowing the best time of night, or early morning, is important. The SSR can help narrow down the best window of time.

3) Must Haves and Must Do's

a) Sharpen your skills of knowing how to read the land and what has been through and when. I'm constantly striving to be know better by tracks, trails, and disturbances what has been through. We know a sasquatch has to eat so where it travels in search of food will increase the odds of finding a footprint or having a sighting.

b) Develop a plan/strategy to try to lure a sasquatch. If it doesn't know you're there, it likely won't come to you. It is by far the most difficult thing especially with a creature so profoundly cunning and elusive. Whether it is with sound, lighting, staging, gifting, or some other technique, have a plan but be prepared to shift gears and try new approaches.

c) Have a way to detect and/or record - a thermal imager (doesn't need to break the bank), sound recorder, and video recorder. If I could only have one it would be the thermal. You'll likely be in the forest where it is darker to begin with. The thermal will detect and record during the day.

In the end, sasquatching will be dirty and wet, you'll be too hot or too cold on occasion, and most days you'll walk away without seeing or hearing a thing. You must enjoy being outdoors and sasquatching is merely the icing on the cake. If it is the entire cake, then you'll lose interest quickly. You'll likely get more results from your perspiration than your inspiration.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Nature will kill you

Nature is not a petting zoo

The above statements may look harsh but every year int PNW,  'nature' continues natural selection for those who are not paying attention.

Agreed. 

If I were just getting started, try looking up "How To Find Bigfoots" by Snow Walker Prime and especially, by Nathan Reo on YouTube. Both give excellent presentations on how they have found bigfoots. Nathan's channel is down, but you can find his stuff saved in other people's lists.

Edited by Madison5716