Top Three Suggestions

DrPSH

I'm very grateful for all of these amazing suggestions. Thanks very much for all of the great advice. We have been accumulating supplies over the past 12 months or so, and we have identified 2 separate potential research areas that look promising (or at least like fun places to get out into the woods!

Thank you again! I promise to be back with some updates. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrPSH said:

I'm very grateful for all of these amazing suggestions. Thanks very much for all of the great advice. We have been accumulating supplies over the past 12 months or so, and we have identified 2 separate potential research areas that look promising (or at least like fun places to get out into the woods!

Good luck and have fun!

23 hours ago, DrPSH said:

I have great respect for the researchers using this forum, and have read (and re-read) the many threads where you kindly offer your advice regarding a myriad of research-related matters, be it knives, backpacks, appropriate chilling techniques, tents, thermals, flashlights, protecting the campsite, etc. Thank you for sharing what you have learned during your endeavors, I very much appreciate it.

My adult son and I are preparing ourselves for launching field research activities in 2022, and want to be as ready as we can be. I had the great fortune of growing up in a family that loved the outdoors. So I'm able to most of the time tell up from down, but I am old enough to know that I would be smart to leverage, if possible, great advice from experts before launching a new activity. I'm a scientist by training (biochemistry and public health) so appreciate being prepared when possible!

So...if you would be so kind, please share your top three suggestions for new researchers. What are the must haves, or must do recommendations that you would suggest for those new to field research? Apologies if this specific topic has previously been addressed. I appreciate your suggestions in advance. And an almost happy new year to everyone.

It is my experience that it is far easier for them to find you than for you to find them.  Also, remember that they do not carry their water so they must stay relatively close to a water source, especially in warm climates.  If you really want to see one, I would go to the most remote waterway you can find and spend a couple of nights fishing and let them come to you.  The problem with this strategy is that you will probably be in what they feel is their territory and will not be happy about it.   

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, NCBFr said:

It is my experience that it is far easier for them to find you than for you to find them.  Also, remember that they do not carry their water so they must stay relatively close to a water source, especially in warm climates.  If you really want to see one, I would go to the most remote waterway you can find and spend a couple of nights fishing and let them come to you.  The problem with this strategy is that you will probably be in what they feel is their territory and will not be happy about it.   

Thanks, NCBFr, great advice! I appreciate that these creatures could find us to be less than welcome company! We are planning to leverage fishing as an activity to enjoy whilst we are out in the woods. (Taking up your approach Madison!) 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:16 PM, DrPSH said:

Enjoy the time with your son. I know that I have always enjoyed my times with my son. We have had some great times out in the field together. I have had the chance to teach him the things that I have learned. The main thing that I have taught him has always been to make fire. Teach him skills that may be needed in case of emergency. But most of all we have enjoyed each other company out in the field. I have been given a chance to see him grow. 

Do not be so focus on making an encounter to happen. If you are in a right area and have done your homework right, it will happen on it's own. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:41 PM, Madison5716 said:

4. No rocks.

Hey Madison -  Hope you had a great New Year.  Can you elaborate on this point?  Are you saying don't throw rocks back at them?

3 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Hey Madison -  Hope you had a great New Year.  Can you elaborate on this point?  Are you saying don't throw rocks back at them?

It's nothing... I was just joking with NorthWind. I've told him the story of hiking with my son and his friend, and having to carry 20 lbs of rocks they "just had to have" down a popular hiking mountain in our town because I was the only one with a pack. I don't carry anyone's rocks or gear or water any more - they can carry their own. Another example - we had a bigfooting partner once upon a time who refused to carry any gear and then begged and borrowed from us constantly, and we don't hike or do research with him any more.  We don't need to haul anyone else's stuff, KWIM? They can haul their own stuff. Basically, an inside joke. Don't mind us :) 

Edited by Madison5716

6 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Read my post, and you'll know why she said that. I like to tease.

Happy new year to you!

All great input above. Good luck out there DrPSH.

Part of what I assume outdoor experience means is knowing what sounds and sights are natural and when, much easier to sort the anomalies when one does. It can take time to learn most of the range of animal or even weather activity in a certain area but nowadays, that time can be decreased a bit by listening to the varied sounds of the local fauna on something like u tube or ebird. I like to identify, or attempt to, the flora I pass. Have done this for decades and typically without the added bulk of field guides along. What I've found is the process really teaches observation skills. How many times I've returned home to read a description and realize the details I'd missed, hampering positive ID. It taught me to see, to pay real attention. Good skills to develop out there. I'll just echo-- go where the people aren't and preferably bushwhack to get there--with a map/compass, a locator beacon of sorts and a good orientation of your standing in relation to the topography's obvious landmarks. They'll find you, whether we know it or not.

• Upvote 1

Kiwakwe, you are absolutely right with the assumptions you have made. I feel comfortable with being able to identify sights and sounds while staying tuned to weather changes (which can be quite rapid) and to generally identify flora and fauna (and to identify when I'm hearing or seeing something that is new). I grew up in a fishing and hunting family and have enjoyed many trips (some excursions over weeks) that have helped to build a foundation of how to stay safe and why it is essential to be constantly vigilant.  I completely agree that it is really helpful to avoid the weight of a field guide (although they are marvelous resources). I love your process suggestion! 

Being in a new-to-us area we have started getting familiar with common trees, understory, etc., and we will be able to put your suggestion to use right away. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, DrPSH said:

Kiwakwe, you are absolutely right with the assumptions you have made. I feel comfortable with being able to identify sights and sounds while staying tuned to weather changes (which can be quite rapid) and to generally identify flora and fauna (and to identify when I'm hearing or seeing something that is new). I grew up in a fishing and hunting family and have enjoyed many trips (some excursions over weeks) that have helped to build a foundation of how to stay safe and why it is essential to be constantly vigilant.  I completely agree that it is really helpful to avoid the weight of a field guide (although they are marvelous resources). I love your process suggestion! 

Being in a new-to-us area we have started getting familiar with common trees, understory, etc., and we will be able to put your suggestion to use right away. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Enjoy it and Keep us posted!!

Good luck man and have fun 

I can't give the advise some have given you because some of the posters above have had actual interaction .

All I can write is my opinion is the best way to starting a journey like this is remote river settings . No hiking or stomping through the brush but mostly

just camping and fishing along river ways . Some nights just sleeping on the boat anchored off shore  or slowly motoring and using thermal all night.

It requires a good boat but in my opinion that has the best shot of seeing one . It could be a week trip or a month long journey .