Sasquatch names

Madison5716

I start conversations with people we encounter out in the woods by asking if they are curious about any undiscovered animals in the woods.  I find I can sometimes ascertain an individual's viewpoint on the existence of this creature by listening to the names they say when they share what they are curious about. 

In my Pennsylvania experience (not a long experience to be fair, we have only lived here about 9 months) those who say 'bigfoot' often go on to tell me they have watched Animal Planet or Discovery + but they then share that they haven't really thought seriously about the subject, and that they just love Bobo. Someone who uses the name 'sasquatch' has a story to share about something they can't explain (knocks, odd noises, howls, being followed and such).  A couple of times the person admits that they are seeking a resolution to the sasquatch mystery.

I like the term sasquatch. Seems like at least in our neck of the woods that sasquatch is the term that seekers use but again, my sample size is small (25-30 people). Maybe someday we will be able to ask the creature what she/he prefers.

BFF Patron

Dem dar Bigfeets!

On 2/18/2022 at 12:10 PM, hiflier said:

Haven't we already been through all of this only recently?

Don't know. Always fun to learn more.

I sometimes like Forest Giants or Hairy Folk or Sabe. 

On 2/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, Madison5716 said:

"Bigfoot" is such a stupid name, yet I use it all the time. What are they called traditionally in your neck of the woods? Here on the west coast, there are so many names. What is your favorite?

Native American Names for Bigfoot (sunstar-solutions.com)

Bigfoot or sasquatch... some might argue for Genoskwa as another name common in this region. (Some say the Genoskwa is theoretically a subspecies of Sasquatch mentioned in Native American folklore as the "Stone Giant").

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Genoskwa

Image-1411132100.jpg

On 2/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, Madison5716 said:

Don't know. Always fun to learn more.

I sometimes like Forest Giants or Hairy Folk or Sabe. 

I like Sabe, and Wood Ape has a nice ring to it as well.

The name I find myself using most often is Sasquatch.  I'm not too fond of Bigfoot.  One thing that really bothers me is when people refer to them as monsters.  They are not.  There are some other names that I like.  The Wenatchee call them Choanito, meaning Night People.  The Yurok call them Omah, meaning People of the woods.  The Lakota and the Dakota Sioux call them Chiye Tanka, meaning Big Elder Brother.  Interestingly, they also call Grizzly bears Brother.  The Tlingit people of Alaska refer to them as Hairy Man or Nantinaq. I really like the names that the Kwakwaka'wakw call them.  They distinguish male from female.  The male is Bukwas or Wildman of the Woods.  The female is known as Tsonaqua or Dzunukwa, meaning Wild Woman of the Woods.  

There's a folk story that the Kwakwaka'wakw people tell their children.  The children's parents tell them that they better be good or better not go into the woods or the Dzunukwa will get them.  They tell them that the Dzunukwa will put tree pitch on her hands and catch them.  She will then put them in a basket that she carries on her back and take them back to her home to eat them.  White people would call these "Boogy Man" stories!   :D

19 hours ago, cjSweetwater said:

One thing that really bothers me is when people refer to them as monsters.

What bothers me is when people refer to the name bigfoot  and some times sasquatch as the name of a single being.

I was walking in the woods and I saw Bigfoot. He was sitting on a log.... I was walking home and Bigfoot chased me...  I saw some tracks made by Bigfoot.

As opposed to:

I saw a bigfoot sitting on a log. A bigfoot chased me. I saw some tracks made by a bigfoot.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:10 AM, Hoekler73 said:

I like Sabe, and Wood Ape has a nice ring to it as well.

Interesting that you said Wood Ape, @Hoekler73. We have had discussions at length in the past on the BFF where some members have said Sasquatches are unusual or relict apes — while others vehemently believe they are hominids from a divergent line not closely related to chimps and gorillas. The North American Wood Ape Conservancy obviously thinks they are a type of ape, and has been doing research under that name and with that mindset. But I also believe that Wood Ape has a nice ring to it, and doesn’t always imply one type being or another. We simply don’t know for sure. I generally call them Sasquatch. What does Sabe mean?

• Upvote 1

Can’t seem to edit my last post. Truthfully, I don’t know what the NAWAC believes or postulates about these animals or beings.