Sasquatch names

Madison5716

14 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

Interesting that you said Wood Ape, @Hoekler73. We have had discussions at length in the past on the BFF where some members have said Sasquatches are unusual or relict apes — while others vehemently believe they are hominids from a divergent line not closely related to chimps and gorillas. The North American Wood Ape Conservancy obviously thinks they are a type of ape, and has been doing research under that name and with that mindset. But I also believe that Wood Ape has a nice ring to it, and doesn’t always imply one type being or another. We simply don’t know for sure. I generally call them Sasquatch. What does Sabe mean?

I'm actually familiar with NAWAC... they are where I picked up the term wood ape. I have like their scientific approach to the research they are doing. (NAWAC and the Olympic Project are properly my favorite groups to follow.)

The term is relatively new to me but apparently “Sabe” is Ojibwe for the creature popularly referred to as Bigfoot.

Depends on how far back in WV history we go but the earliest i know of was Yeaoh (shawnee), which later became Yahoo once English settlers came in. Then Atn'yalhu (Iroquois) "stone man" and Tsul Kalu (cherokee) "forest devil" later adapted by settlers as "wood devil/ mountian devil". Wild Man became a favorite in the late 1700s and 1800s among the larger population centers, while woodbooger became the go too for the more rural and mountian people from the late 1800s to current day.