Thinking about getting an amateur radio license (Ham radio)

NorthWind

I’m a ham. KI7TFB. I also have a GMRS cert. I used hamtestonline as a study guide when I got my license. The website made it very easy for me to study. I rarely use my ham radio. I got both licenses to use offroad. I have three radios in my Jeep. 
I’m a heavy haul driver and have pilots a lot. Pilot car drivers talk more than the truck driver nowadays. I use a radio as a tool and don’t care much to talk on them anymore. 

15 hours ago, WanderingLorax said:

I’m a ham. KI7TFB. I also have a GMRS cert. I used hamtestonline as a study guide when I got my license. The website made it very easy for me to study. I rarely use my ham radio. I got both licenses to use offroad. I have three radios in my Jeep. 
I’m a heavy haul driver and have pilots a lot. Pilot car drivers talk more than the truck driver nowadays. I use a radio as a tool and don’t care much to talk on them anymore. 

Thanks! I have a few online places I am studying from. My test will be Friday the 13th of May! Just for fun, I tried the General test too (without studying for it, yet)- and did fairly well - but not passing. I may try for that, too.

So you're running ham, GMRS and CB? Three antennas? 

I've been playing with SDR, too - I want to see if I can get it running on my phone or tablet and use it in the woods. SDR's are really cool!

10 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Thanks! I have a few online places I am studying from. My test will be Friday the 13th of May! Just for fun, I tried the General test too (without studying for it, yet)- and did fairly well - but not passing. I may try for that, too.

So you're running ham, GMRS and CB? Three antennas? 

I've been playing with SDR, too - I want to see if I can get it running on my phone or tablet and use it in the woods. SDR's are really cool!

I have a only two antennas. One for 2meter and GMRS, one for cb.

definitely try for your general at the same time. It doesn’t cost you anymore, and you can step up a license.

3 minutes ago, WanderingLorax said:

I have a only two antennas. One for 2meter and GMRS, one for cb.

definitely try for your general at the same time. It doesn’t cost you anymore, and you can step up a license.

As a Technician class, I will be limited to the 10 meter band. So yes, if I pass (and I WILL), I will try for the General, too. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I didn't realize GMRS and 2 meter ham could use the same antenna. How do you work that? They are both connected through a splitter or switch of some kind? Or do you have to manually disconnect one and connect the other? And you cannot transmit both at the same time certainly. Forgive my noob questions.

14 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

As a Technician class, I will be limited to the 10 meter band. So yes, if I pass (and I WILL), I will try for the General, too. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I didn't realize GMRS and 2 meter ham could use the same antenna. How do you work that? They are both connected through a splitter or switch of some kind? Or do you have to manually disconnect one and connect the other? And you cannot transmit both at the same time certainly. Forgive my noob questions.

It’s just one antenna. No switches or anything. 2 meter and 70cm are both available with the technician license. 2 meter is 144-148 70cm is 437-480 Mhz. They can run the same antenna with a dual band radio. GMRS is 462-467Mhz. With an unlocked dual band, you can transmit and receive GMRS frequencies. If the radio isn’t unlocked, you will still receive, but cannot transmit. 
 I have an unlocked Icom 5100. I use it for GMRS also. 

@WanderingLorax Thank you for the info, for the photos, and thank you for helping me learn something for my test!

I was wrong about only being able to use 10m. Here's why I thought that. This is from the question pool, and it threw me off:

T1B06

On which HF bands does a Technician class operator have phone privileges?
A. None
B. 10 meter band only
C. 80 meter, 40 meter, 15 meter and 10 meter bands
D. 30 meter band only

The correct answer as you know is B. My brain picked it up to mean "privileges" and not "phone privileges".

So, you helped me out! If that question comes up on the 13th, I will certainly think of you.

Another question, if you don't mind. How do you have the radios mounted in your Gladiator?

Edited by NorthWind

12 hours ago, NorthWind said:

@WanderingLorax Thank you for the info, for the photos, and thank you for helping me learn something for my test!

I was wrong about only being able to use 10m. Here's why I thought that. This is from the question pool, and it threw me off:

T1B06

On which HF bands does a Technician class operator have phone privileges?
A. None
B. 10 meter band only
C. 80 meter, 40 meter, 15 meter and 10 meter bands
D. 30 meter band only

The correct answer as you know is B. My brain picked it up to mean "privileges" and not "phone privileges".

So, you helped me out! If that question comes up on the 13th, I will certainly think of you.

Another question, if you don't mind. How do you have the radios mounted in your Gladiator?

Glad to help. I have a jk. I made a overhead mount for my cb, and I made an under seat mount for my Icom. The 5100 has a removable face place that I mounted next to my cb overhead. 

I just got back from a rabbit hole learning about MARS / CAP mods on that radio and others. My brain now hurts.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, NorthWind said:

I just got back from a rabbit hole learning about MARS / CAP mods on that radio and others. My brain now hurts.

I understand. Lol

9 minutes ago, WanderingLorax said:

I understand. Lol

I would like the ability to transmit GRMS, but for me, not that way. I am capable enough to do the mod, but I don't need to get into trouble. I will likely (eventually) just get a GMRS. I have a CB, I just need to install it, if it would ever stop raining. If I have 3 radios installed, I'd need 3 antennas, I imagine. Or is there such thing as an "antenna switch" to use between ham and GMRS? Sorry for all the noob questions.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, NorthWind said:

I would like the ability to transmit GRMS, but for me, not that way. I am capable enough to do the mod, but I don't need to get into trouble. I will likely (eventually) just get a GMRS. I have a CB, I just need to install it, if it would ever stop raining. If I have 3 radios installed, I'd need 3 antennas, I imagine. Or is there such thing as an "antenna switch" to use between ham and GMRS? Sorry for all the noob questions.

Not to my knowledge. Midland has recently come out with some really nice GMRS radios. They’re spendy, but worth the money. I am considering the MXT575. It’s $399, but it’s 50 watts and small.

1 hour ago, WanderingLorax said:

Not to my knowledge. Midland has recently come out with some really nice GMRS radios. They’re spendy, but worth the money. I am considering the MXT575. It’s $399, but it’s 50 watts and small.

I have heard good things about the Wouxun KG-1000G also. It's small, and 50 watts, too. Again, though, spendy, at $370.

9 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I have heard good things about the Wouxun KG-1000G also. It's small, and 50 watts, too. Again, though, spendy, at $370.

I’ve heard the same about Wouxun. One thing I really like about the GMRS license is that one license covers a family. My wife and son have Midland radios. We just need the time to use them.

I currently run GMRS (licensed of course) and CB in my JK 2-door, because space is limited I opted for the Midland 25W MXT275 and for cb the Uniden CM760. What is nice about both units is that all controls are in the handsets. 

This allowed me to mount them both under the dash connecting to weatherproof bulkhead connectors for the handsets. It makes for a very clean install. 

Now that Midland has the 50 watt version I may upgrade to that. 

Oh, and you will want an external speaker mounted… I tried to go without…but my hearing could be better. 

Northwind, good luck on the test!