Thinking about getting an amateur radio license (Ham radio)

NorthWind

4 hours ago, WanderingLorax said:

I’ve heard the same about Wouxun. One thing I really like about the GMRS license is that one license covers a family. My wife and son have Midland radios. We just need the time to use them.

2 hours ago, SumEd said:

I currently run GMRS (licensed of course) and CB in my JK 2-door, because space is limited I opted for the Midland 25W MXT275 and for cb the Uniden CM760. What is nice about both units is that all controls are in the handsets. 

This allowed me to mount them both under the dash connecting to weatherproof bulkhead connectors for the handsets. It makes for a very clean install. 

Now that Midland has the 50 watt version I may upgrade to that. 

Oh, and you will want an external speaker mounted… I tried to go without…but my hearing could be better. 

Northwind, good luck on the test!  

Yeah, great, IF you have family. Does not apply to me. But they did drop the price for the GMRS license, just a couple of months after I purchased mine. Of course. 

Thanks for the well wishes and advice, @SumEd. I have been taking practice test after practice test, and kept getting in the 90% range for a while, and last night I finally hit 100%. So now I am studying for the General. Will try to get them both knocked out this Friday the 13th! What a day for a test.

Well, how'd ya do NW? Have thought of going ham for quite some time, not bit the bullet though. How much study time would you say is involved?

Might be nice to have for what appears to be the looming SHTF scenario, but then I don't think I'd worry about a license:)

I went home after my testing, absolutely kicking myself instead of being happy!

I passed my Technician exam easily. I was offered the General exam (for no extra cost) after that, and failed by only ONE lousy point! Mainly I didn't study hard enough because I just didn't have the time I needed. ONE QUESTION! Grr!

Ah well. I'll get it next month.

Meanwhile, my callsign is being assigned. I made the payment to the FCC just minutes ago ($35).

How much studying depends greatly on the individual. It's really not that hard, it just takes study time. The pool is 423 total questions or which you are offered 35 questions. You must get 26 of them or more correct. I'd be happy to send you info on sites you can study from. But the Technician exam's questions will be changing June 30th, I believe. So if you're going to do it, get on it, or wait until July when the new questions are available to study. If you buy a book like I did for the Technician, it will expire in just a few weeks. The General doesn't change until next year, I think.

The General has a pool of 456 questions. You are asked 35 questions.

The Extra Class has a big pool of 700 questions, and you are asked 50 questions on the test.

I hope that helps, @Kiwakwe! Let me know if I can be of further help, I'd be happy to. You should go for it, SHTF or not (though admittedly that thought did play a factor for me, as well!) I would not recommend transmitting without a license. You will be nailed. There are people who monitor the airwaves just looking (listening, rather) for violators, and seem to find sport in tracking them down (not as hard as it sounds), as I understand it. Do it legal-like. It's the best way, plus it's just cool to have a call sign.

Don't kick too hard! In my book, just going through the hoops is worth a trophy, I've a severe allergy to red tape! You'll get it next time! Thank you for the info. I've heard here and there that FRS/GMRS radios are not policed much, not that I'm insinuating one should use them without license. Ham is a different story though, I understand the users hunting down those skirting the regulations, a bit of a brotherhood there it seems. I have one of the cheap Boafangs for emergency use, which has never been transmitted from. I'll remedy the license issue at some point soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

Don't kick too hard! In my book, just going through the hoops is worth a trophy, I've a severe allergy to red tape! You'll get it next time! Thank you for the info. I've heard here and there that FRS/GMRS radios are not policed much, not that I'm insinuating one should use them without license. Ham is a different story though, I understand the users hunting down those skirting the regulations, a bit of a brotherhood there it seems. I have one of the cheap Boafangs for emergency use, which has never been transmitted from. I'll remedy the license issue at some point soon. 

You can do it, it's not that hard. Good success to you, whatever you decide. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WanderingLorax said:

Congratulations on passing technician NW! You’ll be ready next month.

I just received my call sign this morning!

KK7GDU

Has a nice ring to it!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I just received my call sign this morning!

KK7GDU

Has a nice ring to it!

Awesome!

• Upvote 1