want to see better with your nightvision

Joe Largefoot

I wish i would have learned this years ago.  The infrared on most night vision will only reach about 50 ft, but you can buy an infrared flashlight that will reach a bigger area.  A 3 watt will cost about $15, a 10 watt will cost about $30, and a 20 watt will cost about $50.  I have all 3 but my favorite is the 20 watt.  They come in a 850 nanometer light and a 940  nanometer light.  Get the 850 because it will be clearer.  It is suspected Bigfoot can see it.  If you get the 940 it will produce a lousy picture, but it is suspected Bigfoot can not see it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Largefoot said:

I wish i would have learned this years ago.  The infrared on most night vision will only reach about 50 ft, but you can buy an infrared flashlight that will reach a bigger area.  A 3 watt will cost about $15, a 10 watt will cost about $30, and a 20 watt will cost about $50.  I have all 3 but my favorite is the 20 watt.  They come in a 850 nanometer light and a 940  nanometer light.  Get the 850 because it will be clearer.  It is suspected Bigfoot can see it.  If you get the 940 it will produce a lousy picture, but it is suspected Bigfoot can not see it.

How has the determination been made that Sasquatch can see 850 nm but not 940?  

suspected.  850 has a broad area where the 950 has like a beam.  I knew i was going to get a question like this, that is why I put the disclaimer suspected.

about 2008 a video was posted of a Bigfoot in Kentucky eating pancakes and it did not appear to bother the bigfoot at all.  he just kept on eating.  Maybe a hoax and maybe not.  I do know i do not like the poor lighting and I am sticking with the 850.

Edited by Joe Largefoot

3 minutes ago, Joe Largefoot said:

suspected.  850 has a broad area where the 950 has like a beam.  I knew i was going to get a question like this, that is why I put the disclaimer suspected.

Just curious.  I have looked into this subject a bit, due to the fact that a warm blooded primate shouldn’t be able to see in the infrared spectrum.  I didn’t know if you had any specific anecdotal accounts on this or something.

Broad area vs beam?  Are you talking about the differences in range due to 940 having a greater wavelength?

850 is like a broad beam 940 is like a beam of light.  I have 940 and i do not like it.  will not make a clear picture.  Google it and maybe it will make some sense.  It is hard to explain when I do not fully understand it myself.  I just know I do not like the 940 quality.  I just don't want anyone to waste their money on the 940.

Edited by Joe Largefoot

4 minutes ago, Joe Largefoot said:

850 is like a broad beam 940 is like a beam of light.  I have 940 and i do not like it.  will not make a clear picture.  Google it and maybe it will make some sense.  It is hard to explain when I do not fully understand it myself.  I just know I do not like the 940 quality.  I just don't want anyone to waste their money on the 940.

I understand why 850 gives a better image than 940, although it gives off a slight glow at the source.  I wanted to make sure that I understood what you meant by beam vs broad. 

The 940 has a higher wavelength.  That wavelength translates into less area covered.  It also gives a less clear image with most night vision devices.  It’s a trade off to lose that glow that you get from the 850s.  

Sorry if you thought that I was challenging your statement.  I was trying to clarify what you were saying 

Admin
17 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I didn’t know if you had any specific anecdotal accounts on this or something.

I was told this by a researcher here in VA. They were in contact with an individual who kept getting visits from BF. One night he sat outside with an IR illuminator and NV device waiting for it to come by. As expected it did make a visit that evening. The gentlemen was watching it through his NV device. He switched on the illuminator and instantly the BF stopped and looked directly at him. Then took off away from the house. Now this could have been the IR light, it could have been noise, it could have been movement, or it could have been something else. However, the witness was fairly sure it was the light itself that caused the BF to run away. Anything scientific to this? No, just an anecdotal story that may or may not indicate that BF can see in the IR spectrum.

Until we have one in hand, we will probably never know.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

I was told this by a researcher here in VA. They were in contact with an individual who kept getting visits from BF. One night he sat outside with an IR illuminator and NV device waiting for it to come by. As expected it did make a visit that evening. The gentlemen was watching it through his NV device. He switched on the illuminator and instantly the BF stopped and looked directly at him. Then took off away from the house. Now this could have been the IR light, it could have been noise, it could have been movement, or it could have been something else. However, the witness was fairly sure it was the light itself that caused the BF to run away. Anything scientific to this? No, just an anecdotal story that may or may not indicate that BF can see in the IR spectrum.

Until we have one in hand, we will probably never know.

That’s why I was looking for anecdotal reports.  

Warm blooded creatures should not be able to ‘see’ in infrared… especially primates.  They believe that bats can sense it…and there is even a theory that wolves may be able to sense it as well, even if they can’t see it.  But, primates?  Not supposed to be possible.

For me, this accounts of infrared detection and avoidance count against the explanation that these things are just undiscovered apes.

Warm blooded animals can see infrared.  That is the reason there are very few pictures of Bigfoot taken by a trail camera.  The camera uses a infrared beam to detect motion, and apparently can see the beam.  On the 940 from what i have read preadator hunters prefer it over the 850, and I assume even coyotes can see the 850 infrared.  On Bigfoot hold your nightvision on one, and it will not stick around very long, and again assumed it senses it is being watched and leaves out.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  Do like I do and get out in the field and experiement.  On the trail cams I had 2 friends who was pouring thousands of dollars buy the latest technology in trail cameras, and I kept telling them Bigfoot could see the infrared, but they did not want to hear it.  Both accepted the fact after spending over $4,000 and the other spent over $5,000 that the infrared on the motion detector was being seen and was not getting in the field of the infrared sensor.

22 minutes ago, Joe Largefoot said:

Warm blooded animals can see infrared.  That is the reason there are very few pictures of Bigfoot taken by a trail camera.  The camera uses a infrared beam to detect motion, and apparently can see the beam.  On the 940 from what i have read preadator hunters prefer it over the 850, and I assume even coyotes can see the 850 infrared.  On Bigfoot hold your nightvision on one, and it will not stick around very long, and again assumed it senses it is being watched and leaves out.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  Do like I do and get out in the field and experiement.  On the trail cams I had 2 friends who was pouring thousands of dollars buy the latest technology in trail cameras, and I kept telling them Bigfoot could see the infrared, but they did not want to hear it.  Both accepted the fact after spending over $4,000 and the other spent over $5,000 that the infrared on the motion detector was being seen and was not getting in the field of the infrared sensor.

Thanks for the advice.  I will try to get out into the field one day.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joe Largefoot said:

about 2008 a video was posted of a Bigfoot in Kentucky eating pancakes and it did not appear to bother the bigfoot at all.  he just kept on eating.  Maybe a hoax and maybe not.  I do know i do not like the poor lighting and I am sticking with the 850.

The famous pancake video is of a homeless person eating pancakes. It was promoted as a video "that will knock your socks off". There is a sockless guy in British Columbia who purchased the video.  Anybody know the regional favorite pancake mix in Kentucky?

The difference in image quality is related to the chip, not the wavelength of light. Chips don't perform well at 940nm.

4 hours ago, Joe Largefoot said:

Animals do not see infrared. Vision evolved to take advantage of star light over millions of years.  Mean average is a wavelength of about 555nm.

PIR is Passive Infrared. The PIR units do not emit, they receive. Ultrasonic noise leaves the camera housings via the windows for the LEDs, the lens and the PIR motion detector. In addition to ultrasonic noises, trail cams emit sonic and infrasonic noise, smell, release formic acid, have variable AC & DC magnetic fields, have a switching regulated power supply and look out of place.

Your friends should be able to turn off the flash. Send the cameras back to the factory for upgrades to turn off the motion detector and switch to external trigger if the cameras can't do that. Basic approach would be to turn off the flash and set up time lapse images / video. Plotwatchers have a periodic ultrasonic  noise burst. Goes for an average of 10 seconds and the ungulates look at the cameras.

The Reconyx Silent Image series of cameras had some interesting details. Machine gun fast which morphed into the next series as "Rapid Fire near video". The sleeper detail is the housing. Sea Horse model 120. Made of polypropylene. Doesn't smell or absorb water. The polypropylene case does a great job of attenuating ultrasonic noise.

those have been out several years, and when they came out I thought that would solve the problem on no good trail cam pictures, but apparently it did nothing to get a good picture.  I only own one trail cam and it is on loan.  One of the places I work on got 4 new calves, and I tried to explain it to him they were at a high risk of being taken.  So I loaned him my game cam and told him to keep the calves in a pen, well lighted and the trail cameras set.  It just so happened the day I knocked on his door the neighbor over the weekend had a leg pulled off of a pig, and the previous year Eddie had 54 goats disapper over a years time.  I have not been there to check on the situation mainly because the owner died and his daughter sold the land, but did let Eddie get 3 acres.  I have not been out there since I started having a lot of Bigfoot activity on 4 rivers north of my house in Corpus Christi.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Largefoot said:

keep the calves in a pen, well lighted and the trail cameras set.

This will be interesting to follow. The presence of the trail camera may create a safe zone for the calves.  It is a mooooving situation.

For all you people who are trying to get a picture of a Bigfoot, adding a tripwire might be your answer.  Personally I don't think so.  Bigfoot is wise to anything different, but I would like to see the problem of no trail cam pictures solved, but not by me.  I prefer to spend my money on other toys.

Joe Largefoot... forgive me if I posted wrong as Im fairly new here.  Earlier on I posted on a possible bigfoot on Google Earth.  After you posted about bigfoots north of Corpys Chistie, I checked on Google Earth and saw something I wanted to bring to your attention.  Now Im NOT claiming its an actual bigfoot.  

I have no idea.  But its similar to the anomaly I saw on google earth in Washington state.

Screenshot_20220802-063929_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20220802-063909_Maps.jpg