How Do Other Animals React ?

Guest Micahn

Howdy all

Tonight while listening to a animal being killed in the woods behind my house (Not sure what was killing what as it was dark but sure was doing some screaming) I got to wondering. Just how do other animals react when they see/hear/smell a Bigfoot in the area ?

Has anyone even done some call blasting and seen the reaction of other animals in the area ? If Bigfoot is a predator like most believe then most animals should have some reaction to one in the area.

What would be interesting is to find lets say a few deer and have someone go a distance away and make a call blast or even wood knocking to see what happens. If they hear the sound and sort of freak out and run away that would show they know the sound and what it means. If they just notice the sound and not really have a strong reaction that would show they are not afraid of that sound.

I do not remember anyone ever really chatting about this subject so looking forward to what others think about it.

I have never heard of anyone investigating how animals respond to a bigfoot call. I do know someone who I could ask to look into it.

As I recall from call blasting outings that I have been on, the animals in the woods didn't seem to give a rat's behind. That is, the sounds of the forest went almost uninterrupted. Everything seemed to stop during the call (or wasn't audible over the call), stayed mum for a few moments, and then came back.

Now, there was a story related to me by someone who does call blasting, that he was testing his equipment (with suspected BF calls), and it was making a nearby cow herd very nervous. This was rather strange, because the area in which the herd was located has no bigfoot sightings on record, and my pal figures there is too much human land use to support any bigfoots.

As for what other animals do when bigfoots are around; the answer to that is rather varied. My experience, and the experiences of the most credible reports seem to indicate that other animals don't notice bigfoots. For example, there is one report from New Jersey of a person spotlighting deer from the top of a broad hill (they were down in a dry lake bed). The deer noticed and payed attention to the witness, until he swept his light across a BF [apparently] stalking the deer. As soon as the light hit the bigfoot, it sort of sighed, the deer noticed it, and bolted.

On the other hand, there have been people that report an eerie silence, where all of the woodland creatures just seem to stop. I personally find these reports to be least credible. Why the heck would a cricket stop chirping because of a bigfoot? Crickets MAY stop chirping if a person is near, but only within a few feet of them.

Keep in mind, IF bigfoots are predatory, it is the art of the predator to remain unnoticed.

ajciani I agree a predator would try to remain unnoticed. However if the prey becomes aware of them most times the prey will have a strong reaction and try to leave the area or hide or whatever.

It really makes me wonder if people are using the right sounds if it causes no response from the other animals.

Guest rockinkt

<snip>

Now, there was a story related to me by someone who does call blasting, that he was testing his equipment (with suspected BF calls), and it was making a nearby cow herd very nervous. This was rather strange, because the area in which the herd was located has no bigfoot sightings on record, and my pal figures there is too much human land use to support any bigfoots.

Having been raised on a cattle ranch - I can tell you for a fact that irregularly repeated loud noises of any kind are apt to make a herd of cows nervous.

Guest BCCryptid

Howdy all

Tonight while listening to a animal being killed in the woods behind my house (Not sure what was killing what as it was dark but sure was doing some screaming) I got to wondering. Just how do other animals react when they see/hear/smell a Bigfoot in the area ?

Has anyone even done some call blasting and seen the reaction of other animals in the area ? If Bigfoot is a predator like most believe then most animals should have some reaction to one in the area.

What would be interesting is to find lets say a few deer and have someone go a distance away and make a call blast or even wood knocking to see what happens. If they hear the sound and sort of freak out and run away that would show they know the sound and what it means. If they just notice the sound and not really have a strong reaction that would show they are not afraid of that sound.

I do not remember anyone ever really chatting about this subject so looking forward to what others think about it.

This sounds like a cliche, but I have read in reports, and experienced myself, an 'uncanny quiet' in the bush in an area that later turns out to be a sasquatch area. I can't really quantify it, but it's definitely a characteristic. I'd love to hear other investigator experiences on this...

There is a particular area within the Ouachita National Forest which has a known population of the subject animals. There are two family groups. I have seen three of the individuals, the first about 25 years ago, the last on July 27 of this year. I have spent too many days and nights in that area during the past 30+ years.

One early spring day about 10 years ago I was in the area looking for sign and tracks around a remote and secluded spring in one of the hollows. About 5pm I returned to my truck which was parked at the blocked end of a small NF road. The front of the truck was facing the dirt/rock barricade. I planned to stay in the area until about midnight, and had brought food for dinner. I dropped the tailgate, and set up a small "boom-box" on one side. I got my food, a drink and a new CD on which I had downloaded the "1973 Whoop-Howl from Puyallup, Washington" from the BFRO website. While I had many different calls on CDs which had elicited responses over the years, I had not used this one because I thought the low quality of the recording and the background noise would not be suitable for use as a contact call.

I spread out my food and began to eat. While doing so I loaded the CD and played it one time at full volume and turned off the CD player. I was playing the CD for the h--- of it, I just wanted to hear what it sounded like at full volume. I didn't expect much. I continued to eat my dinner, and really didn't look around much because I really wanted to see if the recording would elicit any vocal response from the small family group that I knew bedded on a rough ridge peak about 1/2 mile or so away. I had my binoculars around my neck, but all my cameras were in the back seat area of the truck. (As I said, I didn't expect to actually see anything, I just wanted to see if I could get a vocal response.)

About 15 minutes after I played the CD, I happened to look back down the road, and in the curve about 100 yards from me I was surprised to see a coyote sitting on its haunches in the middle of the narrow road. It was nonchalantly lookimg around, and seemingly ignoring me. I looked at the coyote through the binoculars for a few minutes until it stood erect and walked off into the woods. I sat there, totally confused. I hunted predators day and night for many years as a "young buck", but I had never seen a coyote act like that. I sat there pondering the situation, when all of a sudden from the thick growth to my left, a grey fox jumped onto the road and without paying me the least of attention, it dropped it nose to the ground and walking from one side of the road to the other, it walked directly toward me. To say that I was surprised, would be a gross understatement. I didn't know what the h--- was going on. The fox came within 20 yards of so me, and when it seemingly failed to find what it was expecting, it stopped, looked directly at me for a few seconds, turned and walked back into the brush.

By that time, I was dumbfounded. I am now 76, I have hunted - in four countries - since I was eight years old, and I could not figure out what the heck was going on. I decided I needed to get a camera. I slid off the tailgate, turned and started toward the back seat of the truck. By the time I took two steps, I heard something coming through the brush and down the down the ridge from which the grey fox emerged. I froze and listened. The sounds were getting close. When they were within about 10 yards of me, they stopped. Then I heard a red fox bark sharply, and heard it turn and run back up the brush-covered ridge, barking every few second.

As I turned my head toward the area in front of my truck, I saw a coyote standing on the barricade in front of the truck - about 30 yards away. To my left, in the edge of the woods, two other coyotes had their noses to the ground and went out of sight down the ridge toward a small creek. When they were out of sight, the coyote on top of the barricade followed them.

I retrieved my camera and sat on the tailgate until dark. I saw nothing else unusual.

About 6 months later, five of us set up one evening less than 1/2 mile from that spot. (It was at the spot in which a BIG sucker had walked up to my truck about 2am.) I played the same call about 11pm. Within a few minutes a coyete came tearing down the hill toward us, squealing like a d--- hyena, and burst out of the brush within 20 yards of us. Of course, the younger team members got the best seats in the trucks.

After using this CD vocalization a few other times in several states, I am NEARLY convinced that the recorded sounds of the "Puyallup" screams is a kill-call. Try it in a known BF before you comment.

Guest ajciani

It is interesting that you note the scream as being a kill call. There is only one report I know of where people witnessed a bigfoot making a vocalization: a BFRO report from GA about soldiers encountering three BFs while guarding a crashed helicopter. The vocalization was described as a couple howl/screams, and the witness felt that it was a dinner bell, given that the BFs began extracting the body of the pilot from the wreckage.

If the Puyallup scream is a kill call, then what species did the killing? Coyotes or bigfoots? Coyotes would make the most sense, as those are what quickly showed up. I wouldn't expect potential food to show up to a bigfoot kill.

Still, I do not like the idea of the forest "going silent" when bigfoots are about. I, a bigfoot analogue, have been in the forest plenty of times, and it usually goes crazy. Saying that I have a feeling of being watched is an understatement. The forest is an arena, the trees are bleachers, and I'm the star. The squirrels get agitated and some begin alarm calls, and every bird within 100 feet starts squawking.

SSR Team

That's a good shout Branco actually & make more sense the mor ei think about it, the Kill Call part i mean doubled with your experience that you wrote about.

But ajciani i'm thinking the oppostite of you, i'm thinking BF kill & i'm thinking Cooyote's/Fox's would show up, just like Jackal's would do for exmple on Lion Kills in Africa, even though they'd obviously be potential food, they wouldn't actually be when the " Main Animal " has just made a kill..

Edited by BobbyO

That's a good shout Branco actually & make more sense the mor ei think about it, the Kill Call part i mean doubled with your experience that you wrote about.

But ajciani i'm thinking the oppostite of you, i'm thinking BF kill & i'm thinking Cooyote's/Fox's would show up, just like Jackal's would do for exmple on Lion Kills in Africa, even though they'd obviously be potential food, they wouldn't actually be when the " Main Animal " has just made a kill..

That's what I think BobbyO. I now mostly prowl Ouachita Mountains and the Saline River bottoms close to home. These palaces are loaded with coyotes and with small isolated groups of BF. You can often tell where the BF are early in the night by the coyotes responses to the BF's "gathering to hunt" calls.

I know a researcher who has a video of a young coyote running toward him, ears up, exactly like a dog coming to it's master's call.

It happened just minutes after the researcher had made some loud whoops.

Sasfooty,

You and I may know the same researcher, and I was going to mention his experience here. I suppose a whoop and a coyote Yip might be a little confusing to coyotes, but something they should have sorted out if BF was going to be any danger to them.

On another note, I've been out call blasting and had a creature come up a river bank next to the road we were on. From the way it sounded, I was expecting to see a human being walk out on the road right in front of us, but then it turned and paralelled the road and managed to stay in cover as I tried like heck to get video of it, but to no avail even with IR spotlight and night shot camcorder.

So, it does seem to me that there are some animals (more likely predators) that do not run from loud vocalizations, instead , they are drawn right to them, perhaps depending on the call itself.

SSR Team

so can we infer that the whoops we hear in the woods are coming from adult coyotes?

I doubt it..

Sasfooty, You and I may know the same researcher, and I was going to mention his experience here.

This particular researcher got the video in the pasture in front of my house.

I had been trying to convince him for months that there is a connection between BF & coyotes, but he just laughed at me until that night. You should have seen his face when he came back with that video! He still doesn't believe half of what I tell him, but I think he lost some of his skepticism about BF/coyote connection that night. :D

BTW, he does a really good whoop. I can understand how a young coyote was fooled by it.

Yep, thats him. He's shared that video with me. I've had similar thoughts about the coyotes as well, they certainly share the same habitat and nocturnal habits, so they could be hanging out nearby to clean up after a kill or something.