Wish Me Luck, Boys (And Girls)

See-Te-Cah NC

BFF Patron

hog feed could be dangerous, see this link to boar kills man

And, I suppose bacon bits aren't?! :lol:

Or, say 20 lbs. of apples and honey?!

Hey, I put a caveat in my post? Where's Timmies? ;)

Glad I don't live in Germany, or have hogs roaming the streets. :)

Hey, survival of the biggest, baddest baiter is what I say?! STC-NC seemed to do okay for himself without

the hog wild or bacon bits I'm happy to report.

I'd heard of the Yadkin River reports but none recently. Might want to take it on over to the Uwharries.

Guest RedRatSnake

Jezz ~ BP ~ that hog stuff stuff you thought up could get a guy really hurt in a Bigfoot feeding frenzy, at least the bacon bits could be eaten by small ground dwelling animals thus reducing the chances of the camper being injured

:lol: Nar i am only kidding, ya gotta put out all the stop to bag a Bigfoot and bacon is the way too go in my book, hell you can even eat them yourself or use them as bait for fishing, Yup good ole Bacon bit's there GREAT !

If you want to live your life through to the end, you have to live dangerously.

Jeanne Moreau

That's what i'm talking about, now go out there and bag your self a Bigfoot ~ don't forget the Bacon Bit's

Tim :thumbsup:

oh, i know bipedalist, just having a lil fun w/ya.I didnt even mention a ted nugent tune this timewink.gif

honestly im kind of surprised he didnt have some bear issues with the scents of all those goodies around.

if you leave all that bait out there for a few days & go back a guy would probably have all kinds of different unwanted visitors once they've had a chance to find it.

i am glad STC held his own & got out w/out any bad problemsthumbsup.gif

BFF Patron

Hey, there are more important things going on anyway, like getting Happy Feet the penguin back to Antarctica without a hit from a Great White or Orca. http://abcnews.go.com/International/lost-penguin-happy-feet-begins-journey-home/story?id=14403975

Hey, there are more important things going on anyway, like getting Happy Feet the penguin back to Antartica without a hit from a Great White or Orca. http://abcnews.go.com/International/lost-penguin-happy-feet-begins-journey-home/story?id=14403975

If I had another plus to give today, you'd get it bipedalist. I get so horribly tired of fluff in the media when there is WAY more going on in the world (once is fine, but ongoing coverage...seriously?)...

Next time kick it a up a few notches and sprinkle bacon bits all around the camp area, that will liven things up to a whole new level

Tim :thumbsup:

What if it offended him? Eating bacon could be against his religion and offering it could be a severe sign of disrespect. Then he could pummel you into kibbles and bits, eat what's left of you, then pick his teeth clean with your ear bone. :wacko:

Isn't it funny that we go all cooey when we see a sick penguin in a zoo, but if we see a hog paying for bacon bits at a German supermarket checkout we shoot the crap out of it. funny old world :lol:

On your next outing you will probably want to tell two reliable people where you are going and when you anticipate being back along with the description of your vehicle and anyone who will be going along with you. This is just in case something goes sideways out there and you end up transitioning from a camping and produce festival to a survival situation. You never know when an unexpected bit of nastiness could come along and wreck your time in the woods and it's much better to have the cavalry start looking for you sooner rather than later (like days later when you don't show up for work). Just a thought.

Suggested reading: "98.6 degrees:The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive"- written by Cody Lundin.

Or you could just camp inside the truck with the doors locked and the key in the ignition set on ready to go just in case you wake up to something with a face the size of a frying pan looking in at you. :)

On your next outing you will probably want to tell two reliable people where you are going and when you anticipate being back along with the description of your vehicle and anyone who will be going along with you. This is just in case something goes sideways out there and you end up transitioning from a camping and produce festival to a survival situation. You never know when an unexpected bit of nastiness could come along and wreck your time in the woods and it's much better to have the cavalry start looking for you sooner rather than later (like days later when you don't show up for work). Just a thought.

Suggested reading: "98.6 degrees:The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive"- written by Cody Lundin.

Thanks for the suggested reading. One can never be too prepared or too careful.

You bring up a great point. I do indeed have someone that I notify (in the case of this weekend - notified) as to my whereabouts. I made sure that this person - a very capable outdoorsman - knew where I was and how long I planned to stay. My lady friend (who owns the land) also knew my whereabouts. She thinks I'm crazy to do stuff like that and I know she'd call the authorities in an instant if I were to not come back as planned. The land in question is just west of her home (the baiting site is undeveloped) along the Yadkin River, and the farmers that are on the neighboring properties are family friends.

I appreciate the advice you've provided. Thanks for caring enough to present it.

See

Good luck. Your Smith .50 revolver is a large, powerful handgun, but it pales in comparison to most rifles.

Thanks. I agree about the revolver/rifle comment. However, my intent would be not to kill a BF unless I had absolutely no other choice. I would try to get away first in the case of BF. Bears, on the other hand, would be a different situation altogether... As well as human predators. I worry more about humans than I do anything else I might encounter. There's a lot of meaness in this world, I1.

I had a 308 Remington and a Marlin 30-06 available, but as scoped rifles I felt that I'd be better off with the S&W. Just an opinion, and you know what they say about those... LOL!

See

Glad to hear you are back. I spent one tentless night in the woods in upstate NY when a teenager. Couldn't start a fire, nuthin' but those little shoestring potato stick things for dinner....horse pawed and stomped all night long, kept imagining spiders crawling into my sleeping bag, then it rained about 3 AM...NEVER AGAIN.

BF don't come when you bring an apple out of a bag. If you leave it on the table, like you are gonna eat it, they might take it, but anything left by us is suspect. Memories of poisoned meat (coyote bait, wolf bait) and steel traps are probably why they don't eat our treats, don't get their picture took much, and might smash a camera. Try big hats, nonblue tarps, waterproof fabric yardage, bamboo mats, and cord cut into three foot lengths. ;)

And think about it: you heard a wood knock at home, right? Might as well stay at home, you can squatch from the house and run inside to soil your britches.

I appreciate any and all advice that any of you guys have for me. I thank all of you, even for anything negative you may have to say to me about my tactics.

Maybe a little background on what I think/plan is in order. Bear with me and feel free to interject any suggestions.

The site is on the Yadkin River. I feel, based on various reports and opinions in BF Land, that BF uses rivers, power lines, natural gas pipeline right-of-ways, etc. as an avenue of travel. I determined that if BF were to come strollin' down the river it might detect my bait bag, which is farther up a rather steep dry creek bed/ravine, if I were to lead it a little. I distributed apples from my father's orchard from the river along the creek bed to my BF bag. I also smeared some honey and peanut butter on some trees from the river, along and up the creek bed and to a position where my bag is located. In this area I have more apples, a 50# salt block, loose nuts, cooked brown and serve rolls on the ground and a bowl screwed to an empty wooden cable spool, about 4' tall. In the bowl... More of the nuts, some candy bars and some salt nuggets. The bag hangs above and is just off to the side of the spool.

Bag explanation: I have a burlap sack that has a jar of honey and a jar of peanut butter... Both in plastic containers with the seals removed, product unused. It also includes a mix of loose pecans and walnuts, a whole coconut that's been busted into crude wedges (one piece loose and the rest in a disposable plastic container), salt nuggets and, yes, a few Zagnut candy bars. The milk from the coconut was reserved and poured over the sack, as well as a small amount of peanut butter and honey. I then tied the bag up and elevated it from a tree branch using a rope, positioning it about 12' above the ground. Call me crazy, but I'm betting on a BF being more than intelligent enough to open the containers - without chewing them - after it procures the sack. I would love to find the containers emptied and returned to the sack. Maybe that's a bit much...

I'm trying to monitor this bait and keep everything fresh. I'm figuring that I'll put up a trail camera in a month or so, unless hunting season hinders my project for a couple of months. I hope that by introducing the camera at a later time that any potential subject won't be expecting it and, again... hopefully, be caught by surprise with a camera shot.

Insofar as the wood knocking goes, I heard it from the direction of my site while on the deck at my girlfriend's house. It's located about 2 miles west of where I heard it, so that's why I went out. You're probably correct, though. I have just as much chance to soil my undies at the house by seeing BF there. I got excited. I may have even misidentified the sound. Again, maybe I listen to, watch and read too much BF stuff!

Oh... Jodie - I plan on adding 2 plugs of chewing tobacco (1 opened and broken up and one whole in plastic) to the bag when I get a chance in about 2 weeks. FYI...

The articles you mentioned - hats, mats, rope, etc. - are a good idea. I never considered items such as those. I have a lot to learn.

See

I'd heard of the Yadkin River reports but none recently. Might want to take it on over to the Uwharries.

True, many of the reported sightings are a bit dated. I have determined that these reports, although older, aren't all of the sightings... Only the reported ones. I have good reports of activity in this area very, very recently by very creditable sources. Besides. if my River theory is true, then a southbound BF would have to pass my site location en route to Uwharrie. Just a hunch, an opportunity to use private land and, hopefully, a bit of luck!

Your opinion is valued and appreciated. Thanks!

Guest vilnoori

It is good to have your vehicle as a fall-back if you plan on camping in the open air. I do a hammock if the weather is fine, if not, sleep in the van. Works great. I do like to have the hammock under a fairly thick tree though to keep rain and dew off. A tarp is such a bother. And I would not mix food with camping, not here. Too many hungry bears.