What do you think it was?

Arel3

I live in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania. Sasquatch Sightings have been reported all around but not in this county from what I can find. I had an encounter with something that has haunted my mind having visual flashbacks of it since it happened I'd:

1. Like to get off my chest where it will be taken seriously and not made fun of insultingly.

2. Like opinions on what others think it might have been, could have possibly been. 

Early September 2020 I was driving for Door Dash. No judgement on that please I was clearing an average of $800 a week and never worked more than 25 hours any of those weeks. I was doing that to transition from working 90+ hours per week to retiring from a 30 year career of working that many hours every week being an industrial mechanical engineer. 

I got dispatched to pick up from a local pizza shop and deliver it to a home in Panther Valley which is a fairly remote area. I arrived at the home which required driving on the home's private road that had a one-vehicle rickety old bridge that crossed Panther Creek. After I delivered I got back in my truck and did a half-horse shoe turn in reverse to face the bridge again and go back toward the main road, Panther Valley Rd. When I looked to my left out my drivers side window something was standing there staring at me maybe 10 feet away from my vehicle. 

All I could see was it's eyes since it was somewhere around 10:30pm at night and due to it being the remote area it was in there were no other lights except my vehicle's brake and headlights and whatever amount of light made me visible from my dash cluster. Whatever this thing was was humungous. My truck is a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 6 inch lift front and back with 38" tires on it so at the roof my jeep is 6 foot 4 inches tall and whatever this thing was was WAY taller than my jeep because I was looking UP at it as if I were looking up to return a stare down with Manute Bol. At a guess it's eyes were around 8 feet off the ground. I couldn't see it's shape at all. All I could see were it's not-perfectly round shaped eyes glowing in the dark staring at me. It was close enough that I could also see it's oddly shaped pupils. They were slightly slit like a cats eye but the points were horizontal instead of vertical and the pupils were also big and round in the middle. 

Because of how far off the ground this thing's eyes were and the shape of it's pupils I know (knew at the time) it was not a deer, horse, cow, bear, bull, goat, or bird hovering.

I guess it could have possibly been a horse if it had it's neck stretched out and in the air as high as it could go? But again this things eye's were not horse' eyes are.

There weren't any trees where this creature was so it wasn't a mountain lion or cat or bird in a tree. 

To this day I wish I would have pulled my flashlight out of my pocket and figured out what it was for sure. I knew whatever it was was a living creature because it blinked twice and quickly looked away then back at me again once and it's eyes swayed back and forth as if it was bipedal adjusting it's stance similar to how a wrestler or MMA fighter purposely doesn't stand still. It readjusted like that twice but otherwise stood dead still staring right back in my eyes at me. The expression in it's stare was as if it was thinking "Go ahead. Make a move.". It wasn't afraid of me at all because it seemed to know it was much stronger and capable than a human.

After what seemed like maybe 3 minutes of both me and this creature staring in to each others eyes waiting for each other to make a move I drove off. When my brake lights went off from me releasing the brake it turned it's back to me and ran away. 

Where this all happened was in this homes dirt / turn around area that was maybe an 80 foot radius circle-shaped maybe 70 feet from the door of the home I delivered to. 

Anyone have any suggestions of what it might have been? I'd really like to get what it probably was settled in my mind. If I can.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, from what you've described, sasquatch is as good a guess as any.    That said, it's not proof or even evidence, because you didn't see it well enough for a positive ID, you simply saw it and have eliminated many possibilities .. which is not the same thing.   

Did you mention eye color?  I don't see where you said .. and that would be interesting.    

I don't think you'll ever truly know what it it was.   You can come up with some possibilities but you'll never know because you didn't turn that flashlight on.    I'm not ridiculing .. I had a similar situation, not identical, a few years back and though I was prepared, in the moment I decided to just let prudence be the better part of valor.    I had decided if anything happened in camp I'd stick my hand out and see what happened.   Push really did come to shove, which I really didn't expect, and when it did, I decided "eh, maybe next time."   Color me chicken.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

• Upvote 1

I didn't see eye color it's eyes were glowing a bright gold in the dark, I could see it's pupils like I did because of how close it was. 
I guess I have to convince myself it was a huge horse that had a territorial attitude. That's the only thing I can think of that can possibly be as tall as it was for the eyes to be as far off the ground as they were. 

Glow color is good enough .. probably what I meant to ask.   Thanks.   

I had a surreal moment with my sister's horse one night.   It'd escaped under the fence.   I heard it coming up the bank plowing brush aside.    What appeared in front of me seemed to be near 6 feet high with wide-spaced eye reflections.   However, they were clear blue-white like deer eye-shine.    Ears were a dead give-away.    Eyes on the side of the head rather than front is also a dead give-away.

I doubt, from your description, it was a horse.

Hindsight is 20/20 and no matter what it was, it was clearly a freaky thing to have happen. Things like that freak me out when they happen, even if it is a mundane thing.

I don't believe 100% it was a horse either for several reasons. The two times it looked away when it turned it's head it didn't swing it's head like a creature with a long neck would it turned it's head like a human does. 

Yes, Doug. It surely was freaky. I like to consider myself a nature person. I have Native American heritage and grew up learning Lakota skills. Animals don't usually get me excited in any way. I've been within rock-throwing distance of black bear and mountain lion many times and it didn't creep me out like this did. This scared me enough that I drove out of there as fast as it was safely possible to get back over the little bridge to the main road. More so by the expression in it's eyes than the fact that it was there and I didn't know what it was. 

If I didn't have the notion it might have been a Sasquatch I wouldn't have posted here and it wouldn't be haunting me the way it has since it happened. From it's size and the way what I could see of it moved the thought that it was a bigfoot went through my mind as I shared eye contact with it. I've seen some really big male deer in this area but I don't think it's possible for a buck's eyes to be above my 6 foot 4 inch high truck (jeep) roof as far as away as it was.

At a guess from where it's eyes were from the ground it was almost 8 feet tall. I would guess my head is close to 6' off the ground sitting in the drivers seat. It was looking down at me from 8 to 10 feet away. I somehow knew if it took one stride with one leg, not even half a stride with the other, it could have it's nose on my window or bash away at my truck if it was going to. It ran off when I released the brake pedal and my brake lights dimmed. We were still staring at each other as I did that.

It's such a relief to finally get this off my chest, share this story. It's really been erking my mind pretty badly since it happened. I get flashbacks of it staring at me the way it was often.

Edited by Arel3
  • Upvote 2

Sounds like sasquatch is definitely a possibility here. Could also be a dogman or some other cryptid (tough to spit those out as actual options, ugh).

It's a hard adjustment to realize that something you thought was a myth, is most definitely not. The journey from believer to experiencer is a trip! Major paradigm shift. It has taken me a while to wrap my mind around it. Give yourself time.

Welcome to the forums. 

• Upvote 1

I had a similar experience pulling up to my wooded house, 2 sets of golden glowing eyes about ten feet off the the ground, blinking and smoothly turning away from my direction. First excited thought was BF til my light landed on 2 perched saw whet owls about 8' apart while my brain processed the eye spacing discrepancy. They're fairly tame critters, don't shy away from humans nor headlights obviously. I've had one hop on my finger from a nest box. They let me shine lights on them with no apparent issues. Hung out for a bit then they went about their business of stalking the mice nabbing sunflower seeds dropped from the bird feeder.

What sort of eye spacing did you experience?

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron
12 hours ago, Arel3 said:

I didn't see eye color it's eyes were glowing a bright gold in the dark, I could see it's pupils like I did because of how close it was. 
I guess I have to convince myself it was a huge horse that had a territorial attitude. That's the only thing I can think of that can possibly be as tall as it was for the eyes to be as far off the ground as they were. 

Was the eye color actually gold or was it more of an amber/yellow color?  I believe John Green eyeshine/glow database had gold/amber pretty high up maybe 2nd with red 1st and green 3rd IIRC.  

On 12/12/2022 at 12:20 PM, Arel3 said:

It wasn't afraid of me at all because it seemed to know it was much stronger and capable than a human.

What made you think that it knew that is was stronger and more capable?  

Where you somehow aware of it’s thought process?

12 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Sounds like sasquatch is definitely a possibility here. Could also be a dogman or some other cryptid (tough to spit those out as actual options, ugh).

It's a hard adjustment to realize that something you thought was a myth, is most definitely not. The journey from believer to experiencer is a trip! Major paradigm shift. It has taken me a while to wrap my mind around it. Give yourself time.

Welcome to the forums. 

The Bigfoot legend has always interested me as long as I can remember. As a kid I remember drives we went on with the family on roads that were surrounded by forest. I would be looking out the window into the woods looking for a bigfoot. LOL
I haven't made a conclusion in my opinion whether they exist or not. I have always kept an open mind about it and have often passed evidence news of Bigfoot being found off as probably hoaxed or something commonly known. I do lean toward believing they do exist because we're finding new species of living creatures and plants everywhere on the planet all of the time. 

9 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

I had a similar experience pulling up to my wooded house, 2 sets of golden glowing eyes about ten feet off the the ground, blinking and smoothly turning away from my direction. First excited thought was BF til my light landed on 2 perched saw whet owls about 8' apart while my brain processed the eye spacing discrepancy. They're fairly tame critters, don't shy away from humans nor headlights obviously. I've had one hop on my finger from a nest box. They let me shine lights on them with no apparent issues. Hung out for a bit then they went about their business of stalking the mice nabbing sunflower seeds dropped from the bird feeder.

What sort of eye spacing did you experience?

I at first thought it was a big whitetail deer because of the 4 to 6 inch (10 to 15cm) space between it's eyes but that conclusion left pretty quickly because of how high off the ground it's eyes were. It was way too tall to be a deer and it wasn't standing on raised ground because that whole area is level. The ground only slightly inclines for a few feet going toward the house. If anything my tires were on higher ground than this thing's feet were. 

9 hours ago, Doug said:

I was thinking it, but reluctant to say it out load.

I'll look into this dogman thing. I've honestly never heard of it before. In writing this reply trying to respond to everyone equally I did spend a few minutes on google images and peaked at a youtube video. That's a possibility. How tall and the eye spacing of how Dogmen are depicted fits. 

5 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Was the eye color actually gold or was it more of an amber/yellow color?  I believe John Green eyeshine/glow database had gold/amber pretty high up maybe 2nd with red 1st and green 3rd IIRC.  

Gold / yellow. To me amber has more amber tones. It's eyes were a bright yellow with a gold tone. When I google images of "deer eyes at night" the color deer eyes glow at night is extremely similar. There was no direct light on whatever it was it's eyes were glowing, I guess, from ambient light coming from the lights that were on from the house - the porch light and the room the porch led to had a big glass door that had the curtain open and was brightly lit. It was standing just beyond where all that light reached. If it was a deer it was 2 of them, one standing on the other's back and the one giving the piggy back had it's eyes closed. :P

5 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What made you think that it knew that is was stronger and more capable?  

Where you somehow aware of it’s thought process?

The same way anyone knows when another being is sad or angry or upset or nervous from the expression in their eyes.

1 hour ago, Arel3 said:

I at first thought it was a big whitetail deer because of the 4 to 6 inch (10 to 15cm) space between it's eyes but that conclusion left pretty quickly because of how high off the ground it's eyes were. It was way too tall to be a deer and it wasn't standing on raised ground because that whole area is level. The ground only slightly inclines for a few feet going toward the house. If anything my tires were on higher ground than this thing's feet were.

Yeah, that's quite a spread, no saw whet owl.

There been some record elk taken from the central part of the state over the years. But most of that herd, less than 2,000 is pretty far west of you. Some of those trophies are near 6ft at the shoulder. There are no, or very rare, moose in PA.