What's In Your Pack ?

Any time I hike in the woods I bring a backpack with me that contains- water bottle-(32 oz). granola bars, jerky, apple for snacks. I bring flashlight, magnesium flint, lighters, Leatherman utillity knife, 4 inch blade hunting style knife, bug spray, binoculars, camera, hand held GPS, cell phone, ziplock bags and gloves, alcohol wipes, iodine, assorted larger bandaids, tweezers and gauze.( If I get a bad cut) I keep this pack in my truck so I have it with me whenever I road trip and might find an area I want to check out. If I am camping overnight then I bring alot more stuff but these are my basics.

Good list Sailgirl.  Lets see, for me at a minimum assuming I will do some off trail and will be out 6-8 hours in summer heat solo: Map, compass, knife, small first aid kit, tiny portable rain poncho, lunch, matches, 60oz water (about 3 20oz bottles spread out for weight distribution), a couple ziplock bags and small paper bags (just in case something looks interesting to collect), mosquito repellent, several napkins. I'll keep my smartphone for photos but I will not get a signal where I usually go.  Dressed in long sleeves, thick cargo pants/jeans and good boots worn in and trusted.  You do not want blisters setting in miles from your car...

This is my 24-hour pack that I take with me into the woods during searches for SAR and when I'm 'researching':

Maxpedition Falcon II Backpack with various Maxpedition pouches attached

Bivy bag

Garmin Rino 655t GPS

Hennessy Hammock

Streamlight Sidewinder Flashlight

Gerber LMF II Knife

Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Microfilter

MSR Micro Rocket Stove

K&R Alpin Compass

UCO Micro Candle Lantern 

Rite in the Rain Field Book and Maxpedition Field Book Cover

Nalgene Water Bottle

Vargo Ti-Lite Titanium Mug

MSR Seagull Stowaway Pot with mess kit inside

Sea to Summit X-Set Bowls

Bahco Laplander

Smith's Pocket Pal Sharpener

Grabber All Weather Blanket Tarp

Binoculars

First Aid Kit

Small Survival Kit with signal mirror, fresnel lens for fire-starting, Exotac Nanostriker, extra ferro rod, UST Jetscream whistle, & wet fire 

Small toiletries bag

Paracord Spool Tool with 100-Feet of 550 paracord

2 bandanas (one orange and one OD green)

Windmill All Weather Lighter

Small camcorder for videos

Trail mix, Nature Valley bars, and jerky for snacks

Baby wipes for TP

Gorilla Tape wrapped around a card

On my immediate person I carry a Leatherman Wave multitool, my iPhone, a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folding knife, my wallet, and my keys in the pockets of my 5.11 TacLite Pro pants. I also carry a Sig Sauer P229 on my hip, a ESEE 4 knife on my other side, and a CanteenShop Stainless Steel Canteen Kit with paracord cover strap over my shoulder. 

Edited by GoodToGoGuy

I like your kit, GTGG....with one exception, and it is personal, or maybe not: Baby wipes. They break down oh so slowly, if at all. This of course assumes you are not packing them out, and good on you if you are. I gave up on TP in the bush decades ago. It is not for everyone, I know, but practice makes perfect. There is plenty of natural substitutes out there and you realize after awhile that it just one more "modern" convenience you've we've been sold to "need", but it really isn't a need at all .  

Is there anything over here about carrying action-ready photogear? I am slooooowly learning I need it have my gear balanced with my photogear on front and immediately available, waterproofed and simple to access. My Vango manufactured packs have D rings that allow attachments of a gear bag on my chest. I have been using a Domke bag on the chest for the photo equipment but I some how worry about the rainfall. Poncho over everything but maybe there is something better?  

Ya no body really needs TP...... ;)

A convenience, I would say. Great thing to pair with indoor plumbing. But, if you've ever strolled around a trail shelter just after the snow melts, you might consider how truly offensive it can be. Materials are all around you for a very handy substitute. I had a bud from N.Z. tell me on the coast they like to use seashells, sort of like a scraper.  Spanish moss? Softer than Charmin.  PNW? You have a wide variety.  Mullein plant is my favorite.  "Indian Diaper" my kids call it. Liberate yourself from mental slavery, I say! :-)     

Guest zenmonkey

A convenience, I would say. Great thing to pair with indoor plumbing. But, if you've ever strolled around a trail shelter just after the snow melts, you might consider how truly offensive it can be. Materials are all around you for a very handy substitute. I had a bud from N.Z. tell me on the coast they like to use seashells, sort of like a scraper.  Spanish moss? Softer than Charmin.  PNW? You have a wide variety.  Mullein plant is my favorite.  "Indian Diaper" my kids call it. Liberate yourself from mental slavery, I say! :-)   

lol moss sounds soothing! ok my day bag. I carry just my technical gear in. I just got an osprey aether 70 and that bag is amazing I recommend it. I haven't taken it far out yet though. anyways my day bag.

both sets of night vision

binoculars

battery powered lantern

my flash light and head light

extra batteries

TP (of course!)

bug spray

compas

lighter usually half a duraflame log sometimes

a thermal shirt (in winter)

glow sticks

gerber buck knife.

water small snack 

thats just my small day bag when I'm close to base camp. ill do another once i use my osprey a few times out!

Guest keninsc

Depends on how long I'm out for really. If it's a day trip then I carry my large fixed blade Kabar BK-9, a leatherman, a folding knife, small hand ax or tomahawk, side arm (always carry a side arm), lots of water. I have a Camelbak hydration vest and I carry two 1 quart canteens also. Water is a huge issue in the heat of the Summer in the south. I also carry water purification tablets and a water filter........bad water can kill you as quickly as any bullet. I also keep a couple MRE's, sometimes some small cans of Beenie-Weenies. TP, butt wipes, hey, if you put it in it has to come out at some point. First aid kit. snares, paracord, insect repellent, snake proof gaiters, flashlight, spare socks, foot powder, blister kit. Compass, GPS, fire making "stuff", I usually have three different means to make a fire on my person at all time. Shin guards and knee pads, walking staff, brimmed hat. Binoculars. Heavy weight plastic bags and a long bicycle chain, Kryptonite brand with a couple of pad locks.

If I'm hunting Bigfoot then I add my shotgun and ammo in a MOLLIE pouch with a machete, ghillie suit, face paint, fingerless gloves and field dressing gloves. Camera, video and still, 

Personally, I want to include a POV camera set up like the police use, but those puppies are expensive. If I'm part of a group then a good radio with earpiece is vital. Summertime, I don't worry so much about rain gear. 

Obviously, how I configure my gear and what I carry will depend on what I'm going to be doing or what I'm planning on doing and where I'm going to be. I have included ropes and climbing gear at times.

Edited by keninsc

Guest zenmonkey

Anyone have a good technique on how to fold up a backpacking tent as small as possible? I got a 7x7 tent today and I can't fold it small enough to keep from taking up a lot of space in my bag.

Zen, if you have a longer backpacking model bag you can fold it up to the size of a sleeping pad { or even roll it up IN to the sleeping pad and strap it to the bottom of the pack}.   I have done this for years now and it saves quite a bit of space.

I like your kit, GTGG....with one exception, and it is personal, or maybe not: Baby wipes. They break down oh so slowly, if at all. This of course assumes you are not packing them out, and good on you if you are. I gave up on TP in the bush decades ago. It is not for everyone, I know, but practice makes perfect. There is plenty of natural substitutes out there and you realize after awhile that it just one more "modern" convenience you've we've been sold to "need", but it really isn't a need at all .  

I mostly carry baby wipes for convenience, and pack them out in a garbage bag. I will definitely look into plants that can act as a natural substitute for TP though. Thanks for the advice guy! 

Here is a more organized version of my original post...

This is my 24-hour pack that I take with me into the woods during searches for SAR and when I'm 'researching':

Backpack:

- Maxpedition Falcon II

- Maxpedition FR-1 Pouch; First Aid Kit

- Maxpedition CP-L Radio Holder

- Maxpedition Roly Poly Folding Dump Pouch

Shelter:

- Hennessy Hammock

- Grabber All Weather Blanket

- Bivy bag

Navigation:

- Garmin Rino 655t GPS

- K&R Alpin Compass

Cutting Tools:

- Gerber LMF II

- Bahco Laplander

- Smith's Pocket Pal Sharpener

Cooking and Water:

- Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Microfilter

- MSR Micro Rocket stove

- Nalgene Water Bottle

- Vargo Ti-Lite Titanium Mug

- MSR Seagull Stowaway Pot with mess kit contents inside

- Sea to Summit X-Set Bowls

Survival:

- Small survival kit with signal mirror, fresnel lens for starting fire, ferro rod, UST Jetscream whistle, Wetfire tinder, and stormproof matches

- Paracord Spool Tool with 100-feet of 550 paracord (one orange and one OD green)

- 2 bandana's (one orange and one OD green)

- Windmill Delta Stormproof Lighter

Miscellaneous Items:

- Camcorder for video's

- Trail mix, Nature Valley bars, and jerky for snacks

- Gorilla Tape wrapped around a card

- Streamlight Sidewinder flashlight

- Small toiletries bag

- Binoculars

- UCO Micro Candle Lantern

- Rite in the Rain Field Book and Maxpedition Field Book Cover

- Garbage bags

- Ben's Insect Repellent

- Chapstick 

- Tape measurer

On my immediate person I carry a Leatherman Wave multitool, my iPhone, a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 folding knife, my wallet, and my keys in the pockets of my 5.11 TacLite Pro pants. I also carry a Sig Sauer P229 on my hip, an ESEE 4 knife on my other side, and a CanteenShop Stainless Steel Canteen Kit with paracord cover strap over my shoulder. Depending on where I am trekking, I may also sling a Marlin 45-70 for protection.

Edited by GoodToGoGuy

Guest keninsc

I take it that Sig is in .357 caliber?

Good thing you have the Marlin for primary protection.

I carry a 12 ga shotgun with sabot slugs and a .45 ACP side arm.

Edited by keninsc