Infrasound Or Bigfoot Sound Effects

bipedalist

What would be the evolutionary advantage of this infrasound?

Remember we have seen reports of Bigfoot tackling prey animals, and fighting with bears. So infrasound isn't effective for those two scenarios obviously.

I believe it's used by elephants for long range communication. Well beyond out of sight.

Seems with very small numbers of bf, it would be an advantage to communicate beyond what we can hear

to a distant bf.

I have heard of people reporting a shuuuuuuuuu shuuuuuuuuu type humming sound when BF is suppose to be near. I always just thought this was a myth or a fear based reaction.

I recorded this sound while in the field. I had posted on the old forum about the "blob" I caught on video which was basicly inconclusive as photographic evidence. On that evening I had noticed while using my parabolic dish mounted on a tripod, that when I aimed it in a certain direction, it would pick up this pulsing wooshing sound. In the recording, you will hear it in the beginning, then it will go away as the dish is panned left, then back to the sound again, then panned right and not there. I couldn't explain what it was, and couldn't hear it at all with the naked ear.

pulsing woosh 4-2006.mp3

Guest vilnoori

Did you notice it corresponds exactly with the treble (crickets)? I expect it is static created by over stimulus in your mike/ear.

I have heard of people reporting a shuuuuuuuuu shuuuuuuuuu type humming sound when BF is suppose to be near. I always just thought this was a myth or a fear based reaction.

You were right. Another possibility is that the person heard an actual sound that was unfamiliar and, to them at the time, freaky. The Johnson account, for example, was well regarded over on the BFF 1.0, but it included some details that make it suspicious to me. Relevant to this discussion, Johnson describes a deep sound that he couldn't pinpoint but decided was coming from "the bigfoot" he was convinced was stalking him and his family. The suspicious thing is that he beautifully describes the call of Blue Grouse in his account.

Could something like a bigfoot develop the ability to use infrasound to communicate or as a weapon? I suppose so, but I'm, you know, skeptical.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

I recorded this sound while in the field. I had posted on the old forum about the "blob" I caught on video which was basicly inconclusive as photographic evidence. On that evening I had noticed while using my parabolic dish mounted on a tripod, that when I aimed it in a certain direction, it would pick up this pulsing wooshing sound. In the recording, you will hear it in the beginning, then it will go away as the dish is panned left, then back to the sound again, then panned right and not there. I couldn't explain what it was, and couldn't hear it at all with the naked ear.

pulsing woosh 4-2006.mp3

Was the recorder used a cassette tape cartridge type or was it digital/electronic SD card type? Interesting sound. Chris B.

Did you notice it corresponds exactly with the treble (crickets)? I expect it is static created by over stimulus in your mike/ear.

It could be over amplified treble, but as I said , the curious thing was that it only happened when the dish was aimed in a certain direction and the crickets and frogs were much more quiet in that direction.

Was the recorder used a cassette tape cartridge type or was it digital/electronic SD card type? Interesting sound. Chris B.

The recorder was a Standard 8mm Sony camcorder analog tape recording in Mono. I was experimenting with two amplified mics, one in the focal point of the dish, and the other as an open omni directional wired in paralell feeding the audio to the camcorder, trying to get the best of both worlds so to speak. It never did this while at home in testing.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

The recorder was a Standard 8mm Sony camcorder analog tape recording in Mono. I was experimenting with two amplified mics, one in the focal point of the dish, and the other as an open omni directional wired in paralell feeding the audio to the camcorder, trying to get the best of both worlds so to speak. It never did this while at home in testing.

Good deal, testing equipment is always a good idea. I had one of the micro cassette recorders once and I found if I reused a tape a few times, it would eventually begin to drag and make a woosh sound as the tape turned. I could actually watch the tape slow down then speed up again as it recorded. But that was a cheap little recorder reusing cheap micro cassettes too. Your Sony is a much better setup.

I ended up going with a little cheap Jazz pocket camcorder to record audio. The video function of the little Jazz cam is terrible, but the digital audio works great. Thanks for sharing your clip. Very interesting. Chris B.

Guest tirademan

So just to pick one, what in the Tioga County, PA account confirms that it was not a bugling elk the guy heard?

OK, I'll give you the possibilty, but it doesn't really seem like that is what he is describing at all.

He called the sound "terrifying." He also heard it twice. "Most powerful hair raising scream I've heard," "tremendous, nearly deafening," and "Giant of a man" are his words.

Do you think this old time outdoor newspaper writer and hunter wouldn't have heard an elk cry in his past? I haven't shot an one, but I've heard them many tmes in the media and are familiar with the general sound.

What do you make of the older stories that seem to describe similar sounds?

Tirademan

OK, I'll give you the possibilty, but it doesn't really seem like that is what he is describing at all.

He called the sound "terrifying." He also heard it twice. "Most powerful hair raising scream I've heard," "tremendous, nearly deafening," and "Giant of a man" are his words.

Do you think this old time outdoor newspaper writer and hunter wouldn't have heard an elk cry in his past? I haven't shot an one, but I've heard them many tmes in the media and are familiar with the general sound.

What do you make of the older stories that seem to describe similar sounds?

Tirademan

Elk are pretty spotty in distribution in North Central PA, so there's no guarantee that he'd be experienced with bugling. If he was, maybe he "knows what en elk sounds like" but had never heard one at such close range and under those conditions. I once had a raptor biologist pick up a turkey vulture carcass in an abandoned house on a wildlife refuge and tell me - fully convinced - that it was a bald eagle. I was a boy at the time so I didn't question him, but the lack of talons on the feet (and the fact that it was in an old house where vultures often nest) was a dead giveaway as to what it was. Yet for some reason, even as experienced as this guy was, his brain wouldn't let him process that carcass as a vulture. Something like that could happen to someone with respect to a sound with which they'd otherwise be familiar. Just one of those things.

For older reports, all you can do is consider other possibilities to see if you can really rule them out. Elk and coyote would be my top two hypotheticals. Both species would have been largely unknown to 2-3 generations of people over large areas of the continent as they were extirpated (and nearly so) from former range.

Guest tirademan

Elk are pretty spotty in distribution in North Central PA, so there's no guarantee that he'd be experienced with bugling. If he was, maybe he "knows what en elk sounds like" but had never heard one at such close range and under those conditions. I once had a raptor biologist pick up a turkey vulture carcass in an abandoned house on a wildlife refuge and tell me - fully convinced - that it was a bald eagle. I was a boy at the time so I didn't question him, but the lack of talons on the feet (and the fact that it was in an old house where vultures often nest) was a dead giveaway as to what it was. Yet for some reason, even as experienced as this guy was, his brain wouldn't let him process that carcass as a vulture. Something like that could happen to someone with respect to a sound with which they'd otherwise be familiar. Just one of those things.

For older reports, all you can do is consider other possibilities to see if you can really rule them out. Elk and coyote would be my top two hypotheticals. Both species would have been largely unknown to 2-3 generations of people over large areas of the continent as they were extirpated (and nearly so) from former range.

Well, I'd argue that he'd probably know an elk cry even at close range, as they're not that exotic, but who knows? To me it sounds like a typical sasquatch sound report.

As for those older newspaper stories, you may be right except that most of those reports mention the witnesses actually seeing a large ape-man make the sound.

tirademan

I did not consider insects as a source as although I did hear it in late summer, I also heard it in November. It is a pretty deep sound/feel. Now it could be bats, but I do not know if they are capable of producing this type of sound. The reason I mention bats is I do know they live in my cabin roof (between the steel roof and knotty pine ceiling). My bed is only 6 feet or so away from the area that they live (in ceiling). UPs

I've had pack-rats in-between cabin walls doing laps all night. The head of my bed was in a corner so you could hear the noise get loader, peak then decrease, then start again.

It was almost a wwwooOOOOOOVVVVvvvv sound, sorry but I don't think I can describe it properly in print.

It is a log cabin with plywood walls inside

I have ruled out mice, although there are many in the woods up there and they have a way into my crawl space, none inside the cabin. I spent about 10 days up there recently and did not hear the sound at all. At this point, I believe it to be some type of mechanical sound/feel, but have not found a source yet. There is an underground pipeline about 8 miles away and years ago, there was talk of putting in an ELF antenna somewhere up there. There is nothing that specifically points to an animal or insect producing this, so I will just have to wait until it happens again and then try and find the source. It is such a low tone that I do not hear it as much as feel it. Very difficult to explain, but it creates no other feelings as far as fear, danger, etc. UPs