Driving the "Bigfoot Hwy" Or 224

Madison5716

On 9/5/2023 at 10:47 PM, Twist said:

My bad, I don’t follow activity in Oregon.   😝

Oregon is nice. Portland has become a different dimension........

So I’ve heard, about Portland.    There is a lot of beautiful land and forest here in Michigan I don’t see a need to ever really leave.   Eventually I plan on living in the UP.  

I haven’t been there in years but Portland always did have a different vibe to it, it just took an ugly turn.  Mt Hood/Columbia River Gorge, first rate backpacking.  If you ever get the chance head south to Crater Lake and the forest around there, you won’t be disappointed.

52 minutes ago, Twist said:

So I’ve heard, about Portland.    There is a lot of beautiful land and forest here in Michigan I don’t see a need to ever really leave.   Eventually I plan on living in the UP.  

The flat land and tons of lakes that one can go explore sounds really really cool. Much of the water around here is trying to kill you.

• Upvote 1

Oregon has it all. A coastline that is second to none, temperate rain forests, savannas, mountains, valleys, volcanoes, caves, high desert, sage flats, orchards, fields of various crops, vineyards, lava fields, famous water falls, including the second widest falls in North America, and vortexes, that all offer every sort of recreation one could want.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Twist said:

........Eventually I plan on living in the UP.  

I've never been there. Always wanted to go in autumn. One day..........

45 minutes ago, Doug said:

You would like it IF you stay away from Portland. 

No, I was talking about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. I love Oregon, and used to even like Portland many years ago. My last trip through Oregon was a tour of hot springs through the eastern part, north to south. It was great! Umpqua and Crystal Crane were our favorites.

Yeah, Puddletown ain't what she used to be.  Still a lot of nice folks there, just more undesirable types than in the past.  I have not been east of Estacada since the fire a while back.  Is it open past Ripplebrook?

Portland isn't as bad as it is made out to be. It's still not great, but not as bad as you'd think depending on where you go.
When in Portland, stop in at Huber's and get a fantastic turkey dinner all year around!

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:48 PM, Doug said:

Oregon has it all. A coastline that is second to none, temperate rain forests, savannas, mountains, valleys, volcanoes, caves, high desert, sage flats, orchards, fields of various crops, vineyards, lava fields, famous water falls, including the second widest falls in North America, and vortexes, that all offer every sort of recreation one could want.

Agreed! I've lived all over the west coast states plus Colorado, Florida, Pennsylvania and Maine - and Oregon is by far my favorite! And I've driven through most of the other states, too. I'm an hour from the ocean, half hour from the mountains, an hour from vineyards and two hours from a big city. The only thing I might wish for is more lakes. The lakes around here are reservoirs for the most part, and that is not conducive to lake cabin life and boating! It's fantastic for sasquatch prints, on the other hand and that's more applicable to my life anyway. 

Edited by Madison5716

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

The only thing I might wish for is more lakes. The lakes around here are reservoirs for the most part, and that is not conducive to lake cabin life and boating!

Head north up 97 and in between this highway and I 5, the re are scores of lakes suitable for fishing boating and cabins. I'm in the same boat though. Around here, there are few lakes close by that offer cabins and such.