Oregon researchers

Doug

Most Oregonian searchers of all that is sasquatch may already know that rifle hunting season started yesterday. I just wanted to remind everyone that there will be a lot more activity in the woods from people with all sorts of caliber rifles. Stay safe. 

I know the deer were very safe from me yesterday.

Edited by Doug
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Doug said:

Stay safe. 

I know the deer were very safe from me yesterday.

Good points. Why is it that the day before a hunting season starts, deer and bear are all over. They disappear on opening day.

Hunter orange works well for most of the population. A color blind hunter has difficulty with color perception and you may appear as a big blob of gray.

The Sasquatch will be unhappy since the humans are trying to take their food.

12 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

The Sasquatch will be unhappy since the humans are trying to take their food.

If they'll pack the deer back to the truck for me, I'll give them the liver, no questions asked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a large 4X4 stand at 35 yards from me for 15 minutes as I moved around try to get a good pic. None of the pics turned out well enough to know what you are looking at.  That was week before last. I left him standing there staring at me. He never moved. This weekend I had a doe and a yearling see me at 175 yards away and ran about 200 yards across the clearcut and then about 150 yards up and into the reprod.  

Edited by Doug
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MIB said:

If they'll pack the deer back to the truck for me, I'll give them the liver, no questions asked.

That would make getting it out whole a lot easier. I always bone them out and pack them out unless I get one on my dad's property.  Then I use the neighbor's side by side an load it whole. I rarely hunt his property though. 

Ran into a hunter while mushroom hunting yesterday. I'm sure the 3 kids we had with us scared all the deer away for miles!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Doug said:

I always bone them out and pack them out unless I get one on my dad's property.

I have started doing that but only in recent years.   The packs of older days were too noisy .. carrying one while actually hunting guaranteed you wouldn't have anything to carry home but the empty pack.    Instead, when we got one, we'd field dress it ... guts out, head and hide on, then cross the left rear leg to the right front and right rear leg to the left front making an X, shove one arm between the front legs, one between the rear legs, figure out some way to roll up onto our feet, and start down the mountain with the deer worn like a pack.   Lot of things to not like about that but 2-3-4 miles into wilderness, sometimes options are limited.

I have done that a lot. A deer backpack works surprisingly well. When I did that I was 5'6" and weighed 125 pounds, so I was packing my body weight several miles in addition to my rifle and gear, so the bone out method worked better. I was glade to get lighter quieter packs too.

I bone/quarter everything right away, even small game, the quicker you get the meat cooling the better.  

One thing I like to do with larger game is cut it up by a large bush/tree with low branches and hang the meat just as fast as I take it off.  That cools it quick and it’s easy to knock the little pieces of bark off it when you’re packing it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I had mules in the wilderness and would just quarter the elk and but the hinds in the panniers of one mule and put the fronts in another and the head and rack go with the fronts. Tie a stick between the antlers so it rides on the rump of the mule.

All decker pack saddles. One was even a Ray Holes with manganese bars. The Goat of deckers.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, Madison5716 said:

Ran into a hunter while mushroom hunting yesterday. I'm sure the 3 kids we had with us scared all the deer away for miles!

Hello Madison, and you mentioned your three kids out and about collecting mushrooms that is a great learning experience for them. As you know orange vests or shirts save lives during hunting season. 

• Like 1

I wear an orange hat, orange plaid shirt, orange thermal top and an orange vest if I have to wear a coat, as all my coats are camo, so the vest and the hat come into play more so. I used to wear just camo, but from time to time I would find myself looking through binos at someone looking at me though their scope on their rifles. Yikes! I started wearing orange and that never happened again. 

Edited by Doug
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

........I used to wear just camo, but from time to time I would find myself looking through binos at someone looking at me though their scope on their rifles. Yikes! I started wearing orange and that never happened again. 

There are people who do that knowing they're looking at people but don't have binoculars or don't bother to take them out. It really makes me angry.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

I wear an orange hat, orange plaid shirt, orange thermal top and an orange vest if I have to wear a coat, as all my coats are camo, so the vest and the hat come into play more so. I used to wear just camo, but from time to time I would find myself looking through binos at someone looking at me though their scope on their rifles. Yikes! I started wearing orange and that never happened again. 

Might have been @norseman hoping you were a squatch, dreaming of bathing in your blood and wearing your hide as a cloak... good thing your head wasn't cone shaped or you might not be with us anymore. 

I kid, kind of. 

• Haha 1