The Echo Incident

Guest parnassus

Bipto

Of those in the group who carry firearms, what is the approximate breakdown as to type ie rifle, shotgun or pistol? Are non kill people generally mixed in with kill people or do they go at different times? How many in the Echo group?

Thanks

p

It would seem a portion of this was answered in the link from the OP. Going into individual weapons carried, if any, would seem an invasion of privacy of the TBRC membership. JMO.

'This should not be taken as an indication that the TBRC will sponsor or approve large-scale “hunts†in the fashion of some groups. Within the organization, protocols regarding firearms in the field are now stricter than they have ever been: anyone wishing to carry a firearm on a TBRC operation must be well-trained and legally licensed. The safety of TBRC members is a paramount concern.'

Guest parnassus

It would seem a portion of this was answered in the link from the OP. Going into individual weapons carried, if any, would seem an invasion of privacy of the TBRC membership. JMO.

'This should not be taken as an indication that the TBRC will sponsor or approve large-scale “hunts†in the fashion of some groups. Within the organization, protocols regarding firearms in the field are now stricter than they have ever been: anyone wishing to carry a firearm on a TBRC operation must be well-trained and legally licensed. The safety of TBRC members is a paramount concern.'

"approximate breakdown" is an invasion of privacy???

Gray:

Are you an officer of the group?

Did these changes you speak of result from the Echo incident?

Thanks

p

Of those in the group who carry firearms, what is the approximate breakdown as to type ie rifle, shotgun or pistol? Are non kill people generally mixed in with kill people or do they go at different times? How many in the Echo group?

Nearly everyone who participated on OE has been deemed qualified to carry a sidearm for protection purposes only. It's practically a requirement down there. I myself have been charged by an unknown critter who never left the bushes and I swore that'd be the last time I was ill-prepared to deal with a similar situation. A few members carry long guns, but I'm not qualified to tell you what type of weapon they are.

As I've said in the past, we don't use any litmus test to determine who can be in the group or be on an operation and participation in such things is entirely voluntary. I think it's a misperception that there is a hard line between those who believe a specimen needs to be collected and those who don't. It's more of a spectrum of opinions. That's a long way of saying I can't speak for what's in any individual member's heart nor would I try to.

Echo had up to five members present, though at the time of the incident, it was only four. One had left earlier that day.

Edited by bipto

BFF Patron

Source, please? Thanks in advance.

Source, please?

Here you go: http://www.texasbigfoot.com/index.php/news/news/191-wordfromchairman

We now have two threads going about Operation Endurance (of which, the events of Echo team is a subset). I would like to use this thread to answer any questions dealing specifically with the Echo Incident and the other Operation Endurance thread for questions related to everything else.

BFF Patron

Thanks, knew that seemed vaguely familiar......double threads, arrggggh :blush:

Shotguns are not very accurate and not well suited for hunting big game. People use them for defensive purposes because they are cheap, light and effective at very close range. I.e. Berry pickers, Park Rangers, back packers, loggers, etc. But if you have spent 20K on a African safari your definitely leaving the "riot" shotgun at home, and packing a serious large bore RIFLE.

It's accurate, it's reliable, it has greater penetration, and it has much greater range.

And for future operations it may be wise to place warning signs at road entrances, letting the public know that something is being hunted in the area.

Daryl's selection of that weapon was based on his assumption that he'd be in a close-quarters situation if he needed it. His primary weapon is a .45-70 Marlin guide gun, but that's not what he took with him as he investigated the sound.

Daryl's selection of that weapon was based on his assumption that he'd be in a close-quarters situation if he needed it. His primary weapon is a .45-70 Marlin guide gun, but that's not what he took with him as he investigated the sound.

It's a shame that was the choice he made. That .45-70 could have very well anchored a type specimen.

But I realize I wasn't there and hindsight is always 20/20. :)

He needs one of these:

http://www.gunblast.com/50Beowulf.htm

It's a rifle, it's a big bore rifle, it's semi auto, it has detach box mags, it can be fitted with RIS to utilize night lights, lasers, etc. It also utilizes AR lowers, so a guy just needs to buy the upper and a bolt.

Im saving as we speak.

BTW, kudos to Daryl to man up and go out and investigate a sound.

I've read reports by organizations that shall remain nameless that upon hearing supposed Squatch sounds they hunkered a little lower inside their sleeping bag and stayed inside their *tent (*=aka burrito wrap for large carnivores).

Freakin kudos indeed.

If he could not hit with a shotgun the rifle would not have been any help. Like I said you can't miss fast enough to bring something down even with .500 if you cant put lead/steel on target. I'm sure that next time, if he get's another chance DC's Squatch fever will have subsided, and his shots will hit home with no problem. Inuits hunt polar bear with 5.56.....nerves of steel but it will work if the shots are where they are supposed to be. Marines and Soldiers kill enemies everyday with .12 slugs. At 30 yards body armor may as well be pound cake.

Edited by Tautriadelta

If he could not hit with a shotgun the rifle would not have been any help.

I disagree whole heartedly.

Not only is accuracy improved with the rifle but so is the lethality.

Like I said you can't miss fast enough to bring something down even with .500 if you cant put lead/steel on target.

True, but a smoothbore shotgun isn't doing you any favors either in the accuracy dept. (I dont care what gimmick slug/rounds you are shooting out of it)

I'm sure that next time, if he get's another chance DC's Squatch fever will have subsided, and his shots will hit home with no problem. Inuits hunt polar bear with 5.56.....nerves of steel but it will work if the shots are where they are supposed to be.

Yah well......we used to hunt cave bears with spears as well. Of course more often than not Og got converted to bear scat as well. If a person feels that is an acceptable risk? More power to them.

Marines and Soldiers kill enemies everyday with .12 slugs. At 30 yards body armor may as well be pound cake.

Last time I checked the Taliban were not the size of a Griz either. Any way you slice it or dice it, a shotgun is a poor choice for hunting dangerous game........it's a better choice though than a magnum pistol and Og's bear spear though.....for sure. :huh:

-Norseman

Unless I read it wrong apparently the buckshot missed as well. As my old grandpa used to say if we missed an easy shot

"Boy you couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle"

Practicing firing while on the move may also be a factor. I don't know D.C's shooting regimen. If a person is used to shooting static, being forced to fire on the move or immediately after changing position could certainly have factored into his bad luck that day also.

Edited by Tautriadelta

-Norseman

Unless I read it wrong apparently the buckshot missed as well. As my old grandpa used to say if we missed an easy shot

"Boy you couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle"

Who says it missed? They found blood.

But obviously it failed in dropping the animal and keeping it down. Which as I've pointed out was rather predictable.

Unless I read it wrong apparently the buckshot missed as well.

If you read our report on Operation Endurance, you'll see we did find blood. We suspect it's from the animal Daryl encountered, though we don't know for sure.

Edited by bipto