Dr. Matthew Johnson's Encounter

This was discussed on the Tallest Bigfoot thread, but I thought posting this over there might get that topic off track. Here is a link to the video series that features, Dr. Matthew Johnson. Encounter at the Caves It's really one of the most compelling eyewitness accounts I've ever heard. He was a practicing psychologist at the time who had a lot to lose by coming forward. He suffered PTSD after seeing something he feels wasn't possible for him to see. His encounter lead him to form the Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society. Whatever Dr. Johnson saw that day, it changed him in a very profound way. Here's an excerpt from the article that accompanies the video.

Johnson still gets emotional talking about his encounter.

“There it was. I had no clue what could happen,†said Johnson, tearing up. “I knew it was watching my family. Everything I knew about the great outdoors came crashing down.â€

This was discussed on the Tallest Bigfoot thread, but I thought posting this over there might get that topic off track. Here is a link to the video series that features, Dr. Matthew Johnson. Encounter at the Caves It's really one of the most compelling eyewitness accounts I've ever heard. He was a practicing psychologist at the time who had a lot to lose by coming forward. He suffered PTSD after seeing something he feels wasn't possible for him to see. His encounter lead him to form the Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society. Whatever Dr. Johnson saw that day, it changed him in a very profound way. Here's an excerpt from the article that accompanies the video.

rwridley,

I found his story/sightin' interestin' as well. Sounds on the up an up.

I'm affraid I may actually suffer PTS as well, from some of the posts I've read here...well not here on this thread..but here :unsure:... :D

Pat...

SSR Team

Anyone got any idea if any of the Family Members have spoken about what happened that day at all ??

I'll be honest, i've always felt uneasy about the truthfulness of this one for some reason...

BobbyO,

I don't recall hearin' anythin' from family either. Just his sightin' seemed simple an natural enough to me, never looked into any of it though.

Pat...

Anyone got any idea if any of the Family Members have spoken about what happened that day at all ??

I'll be honest, i've always felt uneasy about the truthfulness of this one for some reason...

I too am on the fence about his sighting, but don't really know why. He seems a very credible witness. Anyway, his wife talked about it on the show "In Search Of..." back in 2002,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIx2Wft80_0

Edited by Sasquatch

I meant to say in my previous post, that I too was on the fence when I first heard this back in '00, but I find him a very credible witness.

Guest Yeti1974

I've always been curious why people seem to put more stock in this sighting than in others. What makes his testimony more compelling? Is it just because the guy has a doctorate? Does that mean he would never lie or exaggerate?

I guess if Alan Dershowitz came out convinced that he had seen a sasquatch, that might be something special. But I'm not sure why this particular sighting is better than most others.

I don't think the guy is lying. It just didn't seem like a made up story. Some of the personal details like his answering the call of nature seem like an odd thing to add to a tall tale. His emotional response probably negatively affects some people. There are a lot of dramatic actors that do that scene. I didn't really associate it with acting but it is why I think some don't believe him. There wasn't much to the story and he just described seeing it. He seemed to me like he believed it. He acted afterwards pretty much like I would expect besides getting more emotional than most men probably would in public. I could certainly see it freaking him out with his family being stalked by something like that though.

I am a little biased because I was camped looking for bigfoot 39 miles SSW from him at the time. There was nothing between us but wilderness and logging trails.

I don't know what his latest encounter does for his credibility. It isn't that I don't believe it is possible. It is just much more incredible than just seeing one. It is hard to believe one would get that familiar. It doesn't seem like the sort of tale that someone would just make up either. Pulling his finger is such a cliche.

link

...Johnson was just drifting off to sleep when Bigfoot poked Johnson's shoulder through the tent wall that night a few months ago, he said. On the third poke, Johnson grabbed the creature's finger and gave the digit, which he described as "a fat cigar," a good pull, he said.

"I bent it to see if it was jointed," Johnson said. "I wanted to know if he was poking me with his finger or a stick."

About two minutes later, Bigfoot was back at the tent, this time poking at Johnson's own size 16 feet.

"The next morning we found two tracks by the side of the tent and all around the foot of my tent," Johnson said.

Edited by BobZenor

Yeti1974,

Myself, I don't put any more stock in his claim to have had a sightin' cause he's got a few letters in front of his name, I simply found his story/sightin' interestin'. When I first heard of it, if I recall, it was on the news or somethin', his expressions etc. seemed genuine, his account simple an plausible enough, just one of those I think could be...is all. If he was a hunter for example, instead of a Dr., be even more credible, least for me.

Pat...

I've always been curious why people seem to put more stock in this sighting than in others. What makes his testimony more compelling? Is it just because the guy has a doctorate? Does that mean he would never lie or exaggerate?

I guess if Alan Dershowitz came out convinced that he had seen a sasquatch, that might be something special. But I'm not sure why this particular sighting is better than most others.

Having a PhD doesn't mean you can't lie, but typically people like that are considered more trustworthy, because they have more to lose if they are found out to be frauds. Same goes for Police Officers, Soldiers, and others whose ability to be employed is directly tied to their credibility.

Edited by Sasquatch

For me, his status/education is secondary. It's watching the man breakdown as he tells the story. Something very profound happened to him on that day. He is moved to tears as he recounts how concerned he was for his family, and also seeing something he considered a myth. Add to the fact that a park ranger found an unexplained track by the tree where this encounter took place, it gets even more compelling. BTW - the ranger doesn't believe that Dr. Johnson saw a BF, but as far as I know, he's never offered an alternative explanation for what left the track he found.

Another fact that gives this encounter more weight, is that Dr. Johnson is familiar with the widlife in the area. It's doubtful that a man who frequently hiked in the area would be that close to a bear and misidentify it as a BF. Possible? Yes, but doubtful all the same.

In the end, it's just an eyewitness account, but the encounter was ground zero for what would become an obsession for Dr. Johnson. That tells me he saw something that he couldn't explain and was/is desperate to find some answers.

this story put me on the believer side, This guy is a psychologist, he had nothing to gain and everything to loose, why would he lie to his family and frighten them.

the man is a giant himself,to be that afraid, just telling the story, just really put it in perspective for me.

just the way his eyes are,you can tell he isn't lying.

"The eyes, they never lie" Tony Montana wink.gif

Guest bfsearcher

Well my opinion on this is,I actually believe that he saw something that day because of the way the story was told and his emotions and emotional on certain details,seems credible to me,I actually feel his pain on being frightened but not to the extent of his experience,my sighting wasnt that intense where iy involved family other than my 23 old son.

BFF Patron

http://www.renewalretreats.org/aboutUs/retreatLeaders.htm#johnson

Renewal Retreats, 71 Marina Vista Avenue, Larkspur, CA 94939

Phone: 415.924.9914 Fax: 415.924.9915 Email: info@renewalretreats.org

He has a Psy.D. degree in clinical psychology and is also an M.S.W. in social work or parenting/family counseling it seems.

http://www.family-rules.com/

I believe he had a valid sighting and not a misid.

Guest Yeti1974

Maybe it's because I'm more matter of fact about these things. The guy said he saw a sasquatch. Plenty of reliable people "with something to lose" also claim they've seen a sasquatch. To me, it's just not some golden encounter that trumps most others.

Maybe it's also because I also have a Ph.D., so to me Johnson is just another "colleague" with a doctorate. So I guess I wouldn't expect the BF community to give any future sighting of mine some special significance just because of my job title.