Dr. Matthew Johnson's Encounter

Surveyor your wife sounds like a great woman. Glad to hear she wants to help people as it is much needed in family and marriage. I know in marriage that it is very rewarding to help people in problematic relationships where they heal, learn how to resolve issues constructively, and grow closer than they ever expected, especially where divorce is narrowly diverted.

I know there is an amount of messed up Psychologists in the field who have control issues since I had a nut case in my ex's side of the family who made everyone around them miserable, but I would not be willing to say that most of them are that way though. I believe most of them want to help people but whether that comes from personal issues with mental problems, experiences from loved ones with them, or just out of good will for others I wouldn't know.

In general, certain personality types are drawn to certain activities. Extending this, certain personality types are drawn to certain professions. For example, we recently had a Briggs Myer survey of the members of this very forum that indicated the prevalence of a particular personality type.

I think he had an actual encounter, that he is completely sincere, and that he has issues that transcend his experience.

I'm not sure a person can make those diagnoses from videos and dinner parties. Can you share that technique?

Tim B.

Tim,

It's a matter of applied psychology in the form of twenty years of experience as a military officer. The term "Mission first, People always" is not an idle buzz phrase. Anyone who has led organizations, and has been led by a variety of individuals gets a sense of who is "off", and why, with experience. A leader's most powerful resource is his ability to inspire. Command is important, but the best organizations run on two-way loyalty rather than autocratic command techniques. This requires the establishment of trust and the demonstration of fair and even-handed leadership. Having a sense of empathy regarding the state of an organization's morale pays dividends when you and your soldiers are expected to accomplish missions under stressful circumstances. And in my profession, stressful circumstances were the norm. Good leaders have to be both self-aware, and also aware of the mental state of their people. The best leaders identify developing problems before people reach the breaking point and seek to strengthen over-stressed individuals. Counseling of one's subordinates is both a formal requirement and an acquired skill.

You also become a decent judge of character. Give me fifteen minutes with someone and I'll let you know if I'd be willing to share a foxhole with them or, more importantly, allow them to take command of one of the companies in my battalion. As a rule, I gave any junior officer who was more enamored of his authority than his responsibilities the chance to move on to other opportunities at the earliest possible point.

JDL

Hi,

Having thought about this a little more, I think I have been unfair to Mr. Johnson. Assuming he really DID see a sasquatch, his reaction when remembering the event, even many years later, could well be genuine. He may well still be so terrified that he does indeed break down in tears everytime he thinks about it. If I ever saw one, I could be the same as him. I don't know. I just got a feeling that something wasn't right with the waterworks. I am not in a position to judge: I just have an opinion based on nothing more than a gut feeling.

As to whether he actually saw one, I don't know.

Best.

Lee