Tbrc Operation Endurance Report

BFF Patron

SY have you listened to all three files? My comments above are re: the top two links on the OE report page not the third link or file shared in the other thread. Just checking. Nothing serious with it and it is probably indeterminate......I have not tried any amplification but may.

The blood looks the way you would expect it to look after it's dried for a few days. Doesn't appear to be a lot of it so you only have a thin layer to begin with, must be from a minor injury and could be from anything. Hopefully, DNA testing will rule out other animals if it hasn't become too degraded.

Edit to say: This is gross, but after looking at the pics again, it looks the way lochia does several days out from giving birth, whatever that might indicate for a fresh wound, possibly a large number of white blood cells present from the trauma???

Edited by Jodie

Outstanding report. Those are clearly blood stains. This should dispel any thoughts that what Daryl shot at was the nephew or the girlfriend (as obviously they had no wounds). Blood can be degraded by sun exposure, but hopefully there is enough DNA present to determine species.

I don't know if I've watched too many CSI episodes, but don't they have a quick little test they can do to see if it is "human" blood?

As far as I know, Bluestar detects blood, not blood from a specific source. That's where were also pursuing DNA analysis.

Edited by bipto

SY have you listened to all three files? My comments above are re: the top two links on the OE report page not the third link or file shared in the other thread. Just checking. Nothing serious with it and it is probably indeterminate......I have not tried any amplification but may.

I've ,listened to them all well enough now, the knock file I can't make sense of in the beginning. It has a distant ping/ pop sound followed quickly by a much closer thump like hitting a metal object making a drum sound. It's like shooting a an old timey cork pop gun at a metal bucket, but at a long range. Very weird to say the least. Other than that I hear that wood knock which is as good a capture as I've ever heard of one.

The approach file does sound like a creature approached on the ground quickly, perhaps bumps into the freezer shell( sounds a bit hllow like the liner and insulation is removed) Then a fumbling with the cord running to the mic and it bumps the pelican case a few times. I can't make out any vocals in those.

@ BIPTO

you can use a laptop or stream line a desktop to just run what you need.

you can use underground phone cable and bury it a couple inches. (they also have wireless cams but i don't know if you want to use them.)

you can use multiple hard drive partitioned as one fo hi capacity. there is also software that can detect motion on the recording video,

and if you want go a little farther, you can have it set up with a cellular modem to send you the recorded video to you.

This is just a couple ideas, there are so many new systems coming out that it's hard to keep track.

what i am suggesting is a cost effective method,the other systems can get pricey.

keep up the good work, and good luck.

Hello Bipto, this system might do the trick and get BF on film.

We just purchased this kit but did not upgrade the cameras. The system is for our building security and the system works really well. It is set to motion detection and we can record months on the hugh hard drive that can be upgraded to 2 terabytes that I read somewhere. If trail cams are detected by noise of camera clicking, this would not happen here.

Use this recorder for continuous or motion detection day or night. Needs home current power. As zigoapex said, 12 volt deep cycle batteries can be rigged to operate this system. Then hide the system in the woods in hollow logs. Put small cameras up 20' out of BF line of sight.

DVR4-2600 4 Channel DVR with Smartphone Viewing & 4 x CCD Cameras

4 Channel Digital Video Recorder with pre-installed 500GB HDD / H.264 latest recording technology / Web and Smartphone connection for remote viewing / Transfer incidents to USB flash drive / VGA connection to view on PC

SWDVK-426004

Upgrade to this camera which is small and easy to hide by hot gluing on bark. A small wire needs to be run 60' out to the unit.

PRO-680 - Ultimate Optical Zoom Security Camera - Night Vision 115ft / 35m

540 TV Lines 1/3" SONY "SuperHAD" CCD high video quality / 115ft 35m excellent night vision / Variable Focus and Optical Zoom / Weather resistant robust metal casing / 60ft 18m BNC cable / Easily connects to your TV & DVR

SWPRO-680CAM MSRP: $179.99

There are about 3 other brands that do the same thing. Lorex is one of them.

post-447-009565000 1320507968_thumb.jpg

post-447-060652200 1320508176_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgerm

Guest Thepattywagon

The first softer percussive sound on clip 1 would have to have been made either by a different source, OR it was a sound from the same object that bounces off of what might be a drum or other metallic resonating object (the second two sounds).If from the same object, it would have had to have been tossed, and the first 'tap' could be in ricocheting off of a tree on its way to its final landing where it bounces twice.

My guess is that there were at least 2 creatures present, and one was obviously much closer to the audio recorder. The first fainter tap is too far away to be the same creature that makes the successive 2 raps immediately following.

And of those two louder ones, the second of them sounds like it may be an unintended 'bounce' after the first strike on whatever metallic object it was hit against. In other words, I think the louder sounds are a result of something held, being smacked or dropped against the metallic object, and not from something thrown.

Guest parnassus

Bipto

Very nice report. Now i have a bunch more questions...

The blood is very interesting. I am a bit confused on directions. Was the blood found in the general direction that the creature was moving?

If the blood was found this summer why has the lab not reported a result yet?

(as any squirrel hunter can tell you, the amount of blood found is not an indication of the seriousness of the wound unless you know the size of the animal. If this blood was over a hundred yards away from the shooting and not very copious, I will make one of my infamous predictions that it will turn out to be that of a rodent/bird that was harvested by a predator. I could be wrong. )

Was there a policy about whether or not people should investigate night occurrences (eg rock throwing )immediately by going outside with night vision or flashlights?

Maybe I missed it but were you using any baits? How was that set up? Any hair traps?

Thanks

p

Edited by parnassus

The blood is very interesting. I am a bit confused on directions. Was the blood found in the general direction that the creature was moving?

Yes. My understanding is that, assuming it's from the Echo incident animal, when it hit the creek bed, it turned left. That's the approximate area the blood trail was found. Remember that one of our guys was down there already when the incident took place but left the creek when he heard gunfire. If it was from the animal, he could very well have been in its path.

If the blood was found this summer why has the lab not reported a result yet?

You only get to do this once. It's taken a while to get our ducks lined up.

(as any squirrel hunter can tell you, the amount of blood found is not an indication of the seriousness of the wound unless you know the size of the animal. If this blood was over a hundred yards away from the shooting and not very copious, I will make one of my infamous predictions that it will turn out to be that of a rodent/bird that was harvested by a predator. I could be wrong. )

We hope to find out where it came from.

Was there a policy about whether or not people should investigate night occurrences (eg rock throwing )immediately by going outside with night vision or flashlights?

Movement in the area at night is severely limited by the terrain. Even the trail can be treacherous as it's uneven, rocky, and has the occasional branch laying across it. Night vision for that kind of operation is difficult since it needs to be focused directly in front to you so you can see the ground or off in the distance so you can see everything else. It's not useful if you can't see the rocks and brambles you're about to tangle with nor is it any help if you can't see 15 feet away. Some members have attempted to investigate night sounds with flashlights, but again, the terrain is not helpful. The brush is very thick limiting the effective range of flashlights. Our experience tells us these animals rule the night.

Maybe I missed it but were you using any baits? How was that set up? Any hair traps?

No bait (other than our presence, I suppose). We had two hair traps in the area which yielded their usual results (nothing).

Edited by bipto

As far as I know, Bluestar detects blood, not blood from a specific source. That's where were also pursuing DNA analysis.

Seek one answer at a time. I would go after the question of whether it's human blood next.

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00206/text_pti_blood_analysis.htm

When a stain is found at the scene of a crime, the first thing that has to be determined is whether the stain is blood or some other bodily fluid. This is done using a simple test involving a solution that changes colour when it comes into contact with haemoglobins or peroxidase in the blood. Another type of test commonly used involves luminal spray, which makes any residue containing blood, glow in the dark as well as picking up on traces of blood that may have been scrubbed away. The next step is confirming whether the bloodstain belongs to a human. Serologists, people who study blood, place the sample and a testing solution into small wells on a gel-coated glass plate, and the two will defuse towards each other. If the sample is human blood, it will contain human antigens and where the two solutions meet on the gel-coated plate, a noticeable band forms.

Sounds simple enough if there is enough sample. If human can be ruled out, maybe some people would breathe a little easier. ;)

Sounds simple enough if there is enough sample.

We view the samples as a precious resource and are trying to maximize their use in the best way we can. I presume the test you mentioned would consume a sample and it's entirely possible that a putative wood ape blood drop might be sufficiently human-like to return a false positive. Not saying what you're suggesting is a bad idea, just that we're trying to conserve our samples.

Thanks, I can understand that. What would you guys do with a human result? Would it justify an indepth and expensive DNA study?