Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

Guest Grandcherokee

The thing about unconfirmed vocalizations..is that they are unconfirmed!!

So the quality of the 'recording method' is not of importance!

Neither is the quality of the recording!

Myself and Thomas Steenburg learned this during our investigation of the Chehalis sounds.

During this investigation we discovered that these sounds were made by coyotes!

They sounded only partially accurate in the light of day, as compared to the original sounds which were recorded by this couple late at night., in different circumstances.

This was not received well in the Big Foot Community, as it decried the authenticity of the Klamath Sounds and several others! of a canine base!

. is unimportant!

I was never taken by the Chehalis sounds. They simply weren't hominin in origin. They really don't compare to others, where there is no question whether it's hominin, only whether it's a modern human or "other" hominin.

The sounds are important if we are ever going to know when we hear one, and the truth will rise above all the mis-identifications because it doesn't change. 

• Upvote 3

The sounds are important if we are ever going to know when we hear one, and the truth will rise above all the mis-identifications because it doesn't change. 

I would agree 101%. When you've had them literally walk in, stand over a recorder and breathe, or sniff and grumble then pick the recorder up and move it, you can certainly rule out some things.

I'm completely new to sound recording and looking to get my feet buying one or two.  Would I notice much difference in sound if I replayed a recording from a ECM-DS70P (with mic) compared to one relayed from a PCM-M10?  Would the ECM-DS70P be able to pick up all the sounds the M10 can?

I would think so wiiawiwb, I've not noticed a reduction in sensitivity when using external mics. The quality might suffer slightly as some external mics have more white noise than what the internal mics on the PCM-M10 would have. The external mics would still be a necessary evil in my view, since that recorder would be more expensive than one I would leave out in the woods and without it being sealed in a case. I do that with even the cheapo voice recorder and use a sealed patch cable to the external mic.

Pretty much, that.  

The main difference, IMHO, affecting recording quality is the limits of the internal microphone which varies quite a bit.   I've gone to external microphones almost exclusively which very much levels the playing field.    The mic I use most is under $20.    I can't tell a recording from a $100 recorder and a $300 recorder with the external mic.    With the difference in internal mics removed from the equation, the selection comes down to storage capacity and features for ease of use.   

In the field, I prefer simple: fewer things to forget, mis-adjust, etc.    

MIB

I would only be leaving the recorder out on a night-by-night basis depending on the weather. It will always be retrieved the next day.

If you're gonna just leave it out overnight then use what ever you got. When we have campouts i will use my high dollar zoom h5 and h6 along my sony p333's. These zoom recorders are basically a recording studio in a very small package and the built in stereo mic's are superb. The drawback is you only get so many hour of continuous recording and is only good for one night if you turn it on late in the evening.

When I need to leave an audio recorder miles away and it's simply not feasible to retrieve it daily then I need to rely on something that I know for a fact will give me continued non stop recording day and night, enough for no less than three to five or more full nights of audio including the daytime audio before the batteries run out. The cheap sony p333 with the external sony stereo mic is perfect for the job and fully field tested. And it's small and slender. The knock off stereo mic versions will work just fine and cheaper.

Edited by TritonTr196
  • Upvote 1

Yes, absolutely.  

I use this mic: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTAH62/ref=pd_luc_rh_bxgy_01_03_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I use either of these two covers:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Fur-Microphone-Windscreen-Small/dp/B00NMUUIRK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2FLJ64H1XJ1XR

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Teknica-XFFZ5P-BLK-Headset-Microphone-Windscreen/dp/B006HNQQ66?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATWKH2BNHFWOJ

Be careful with the 2nd one, there is a smaller size yet which I accidentally bought once and they're a booger to get on. 

Without them, wind blowing across the mic, even a very very slight breeze, causes the sound to break up.    Even with them, a 10mph breeze will do it.  I'm always looking for incremental improvements so if anyone else has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

MIB

I use small pieces of foam on some of my external mics, but not on the Sony knock off mics, I usually don't have to worry about wind at night in most locations we record in.

Thought I'd share another one of my captures from my last outing. This one is from the same night that the "Ringer" recording posted up thread was recorded but about 4 hrs earlier.

This visitor seemed to have to search around a bit before finding the peanut butter on the tree. This was set up the same way as the other mentioned recording and you'll hear the bell rattle as the peanut butter is taken.

Box 3 4-9-16 11pm bait licker mono.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was lapsing once again on getting the recorder out, last 4 nights both I and my wife heard distinct wood knocks, I found toe impressions in marsh, I will be back on duty pronto!!!!

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Admin

Myself and Thomas Steenburg learned this during our investigation of the Chehalis sounds.

They sounded only partially accurate in the light of day, as compared to the original sounds which were recorded by this couple late at night., in different circumstances.

This was not received well in the Big Foot Community, as it decried the authenticity of the Klamath Sounds and several others! of a canine base!

. is unimportant!

It was very well received by some of us who are looking to capture the real deal. Thanks!

There is no sense in running around recording known fauna and getting all hyped up about it thinking its BF related when its not. It's a waste of resources.

Your direct observation of the coyotes producing the sound eliminated that popular misidentification and saved hundreds of hours of work.

I remember it was all the rage back then, people going out with "sound blasters" blaring the Chehalis howl and waiting for a response, which they usually got back from a horny coyote :lol:

Edited by gigantor

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

. is unimportant!

It was very well received by some of us who are looking to capture the real deal. Thanks!

There is no sense in running around recording known fauna and getting all hyped up about it thinking its BF related when its not. It's a waste of resources.

Your direct observation of the coyotes producing the sound eliminated that popular misidentification and saved hundreds of hours of work.

I remember it was all the rage back then, people going out with "sound blasters" blaring the Chehalis howl and waiting for a response, which they usually got back from a horny coyote :lol:

So the key is to get sounds and visual confirmation of a bigfoot, preferably with a recording device that captures both.

Whistles seem to be a more likely constant.

Knocks too often can be woodpecker and other such phenomenon.