Sounds Of The Night

Lake County Bigfooot

It still is frustrating having this activity this close to me, and yet I have not seen one, nor have I found a decent print. You would think they would slip up, but I am continually realizing how smart these creatures are. If they survived by avoiding detection for all these years, well than avoiding detection is their ace the hole so to speak. Creatures of all kinds capitalize on a certain ability, sharks smell miniscule amounts of blood in water, eagles can see slight movements of things far below, bats do not even need to see they have a built in radar. Sasquatch are experts at concealing their presence, they might be detectable in some fashions, but completely undetectable in others. They certainly seem aware of their prints, and go to great lengths to not leave them. The exception to that seems to be remote areas where people are not present, then they seem to move about freely. I do not have an answer for how to get something more than I am getting because it is really their deal, they can control the situation as they wish. If I mustered up an effort to try to pin them down they would be long gone before I even took the first step. They are that smart, or possess that much ability of survival instinct.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

You'll just have to see if they will engage in any kind of games. Find something they like to eat, and they'll likely find it every night. If they find it every night, then you may be able to get them to step where you want and of coarse you'll get the recording of the steps and the taking of what you leave for them.

I've always wanted to see if basic music/noise production would pique their curiosity.

Go to a spot they frequent, taking small hand drums, a quijada, woodblocks of various sizes, timbers & pitch, maybe a slide whistle or two(everybody loves a slide whistle,at least at first...) then sit somewhere visible, start making noises, demonstrating how they work, and see what comes of it. Perhaps leave a few of the instruments when you go.

I'd bet that if they're around, they'll at least come see what's making the racket, if not stay to watch the crazy dwarf....And after a few such visits one might get responses. Just a thought.

Well I literally just turned 52 years of age and for my birthday, my understanding and also interested wife, well she bought me the I phone/FlIR thermal image deal, and I am really stoked to figure that out. It might lead me to doing a few stakeouts, and some interesting diversions. I think they think I am predictable. I go out almost at the same time nightly, take a leak, set the recorder out, make a few distinctive whistles. My whole point is to identify myself, place the recorder, then leave. It is like hey I am here for a minute, and oh yah this is my territory(that is why I urinate) then I leave. It says several things. I am the boss of this yard, your ok where your at, and I respect your need for privacy, but also respect mine, thank you very much. More to come....

So last night I heard some light knocking in the recording but that is suspect for something smaller, as well as the first real coyote action of the year, usually the two go hand and hand around here, coyotes and activity. I might be looking at a couple more weeks for a stretch of activity like the last one, the fourth of July stuff might be a bit too much human action for them, although the first whoops I heard was in response to fireworks, so maybe I am the one turned off by all the commotion, it certainly muddies up the recording. Cars buzzing by, yahoos out yelling, fireworks, it makes any real recording almost worthless. I will probably hang out with the FLIR tonight, the IOS FLIR adapter is awesome, it really is super easy to use, it shows amazing detail, if you capture a Squatch with this thing from any close range there will be no doubt what you are looking at, problem is the display screen is quite bright, so how do you conceal yourself with that bright display? Who cares it lets me have some advantage for once, peekaboo I see you, who's doing the peekaboo now! Oh well there might be a way to conceal the light from the display while recording, it will produce evidence for certain being in the hands of so many, now it only cost about $250 to go thermal.

• Upvote 1

So last night I heard some light knocking in the recording but that is suspect for something smaller, as well as the first real coyote action of the year, usually the two go hand and hand around here, coyotes and activity. I might be looking at a couple more weeks for a stretch of activity like the last one, the fourth of July stuff might be a bit too much human action for them, although the first whoops I heard was in response to fireworks, so maybe I am the one turned off by all the commotion, it certainly muddies up the recording. Cars buzzing by, yahoos out yelling, fireworks, it makes any real recording almost worthless. I will probably hang out with the FLIR tonight, the IOS FLIR adapter is awesome, it really is super easy to use, it shows amazing detail, if you capture a Squatch with this thing from any close range there will be no doubt what you are looking at, problem is the display screen is quite bright, so how do you conceal yourself with that bright display? Who cares it lets me have some advantage for once, peekaboo I see you, who's doing the peekaboo now! Oh well there might be a way to conceal the light from the display while recording, it will produce evidence for certain being in the hands of so many, now it only cost about $250 to go thermal.

How long does your cell phone battery last with that flir one?

TritonTR196, I have recorded a few test runs, one during daylight and on last night late after the outdoors cooled, it does not seem to suck any battery life any more than having your screen on for a given period of time. I suppose it would last at least 4 hours of continual use, to me the biggest problem is it makes you night blind looking at it, so if your walking you need to be pretty careful as cliff when he almost fell off a cliff on finding bigfoot. The resolution in the outdoors at night is good, but not HD, here is a sample of what it looks like. This was after 2pm things had cooled nicely, my wife is my test subject wearing her robe, so the red is the hot spots of exposed skin. This is giving me a problem attaching the video, let me see what is wrong.

Alright here we go for some samples of the FLIR ONE I PHONE, it is not HD quality, but it certainly gives you enough detail to determine what you are dealing with, especially at closer range, I have more experimenting to do to know it's full capabilities and limitations. This is the hotspot in red mode, seems like the easiest place to start.

This is in the regular color mode, I think it will work best in the fall when it is really cold at night, perhaps that is why Finding Bigfoot is always researching in the colder months, simply a FLIR / Visibility issue. Initially I have my hand in front of the camera, like the bozo I am....

A thermal will work in cooler weather for a few different reasons. Less foilage to see farther of course, but thick humidity will also distort a thermal image in hot sticky weather as it helps retain heat in the air.

That flir one you have looks pretty good from a short distance. I have two different flir scout models and we use them all year round. Not just in the cold months.

Yea some of the color schemes on mine will mess your vision up. Each one of mine has 10 or more different colors and some are just painful. I mainly use the white/black one since it looks great and its the color the military uses for their thermals.

Hope you get some good footage with your new flir, they are really fun for stuff other than Bigfoot hunting also.

I missed recording several bouts of wood knocking the last three nights, but we heard the same things I have in many recordings now. I was up at 3 am with the thermal in the back yard hoping they would come investigate me, I did not hear any movement or capture any heat signatures, but at 5am my wife heard the knocks again, and I decided to try and force the issue a little bit an bolted out of bed into my shoes and into the marsh where I thought he would be, did not hear any retreat, nor did I find the culprit, I was hoping I would startle him with my boldness into showing himself, oh well, it was worth a try. My heart was pounding from adrenaline just in case....

• 2 months later...

Seems like summer was fairly uneventful, plus I've grown a little weary of all the data analysis, so slacked off on it. Recorded the other night though and got another drumming sound at around 2 am. A bit distant, use headphones.

160905_02drum.wav

Edited by JKH

Sounds like it might be wings beating, but I could be wrong...I am reengaging in the fall recording, my wife said she heard some strange knocking, metal banging sounds, the other early am around 4 ish, so it might be back on...I found a strange rock placement in the deer blind they seem to use...that was interesting as well...about to listen to my second night of recording this week, just waiting for it load up...if I get anything it will surely be posted here. This also serves as a good back up if your hard drive ever crashes. I have a lot of good stuff on my hard drive I would hate to loose. The rock was off the ground in the crotch of the tree and looks tool like...

IMG_0558.JPG

Something of interest, around 4 am a small animal, raccoon or possum possibly, is either fighting for food, or is getting killed, hard to tell which, but usually if it is food I hear two animals, and this sounds like one. Also I hear banging sounds and then the animal quiets down, starts up again then another banging sound, and then all is quiet...hmmmm

Possible small animal killed.mp3

Ok so last night, a very festive night, as a bar across the lake from me had a band playing till 1am, Tom Petty covers and such...I put out my recorder at 12am and about 15 minutes later got this interesting approach. I have noticed when they are around, they generally do approach the recorder, in this case I presume a juvenile or teen, it is almost predictable if I go inside and turn off all the lights, The approach is always slow then fast, that seems to be a pattern. Like let me check that out, crap no food, time to go...coyotes and deer sniff around more...since I have the recorder in a zip lock....they might think other stuff inside...heavy twig snaps indicate the larger size as do foot falls on the grass...it is very difficult to approach my recorder quietly do to clutter on the ground and dense brush surrounding from the marsh side. I keep it out in the open in the very back of my yard on a tree stump, it is hidden enough in the dark to allow them freedom to check it out. I might try to stake out the area from somewhere else with my thermal as it is getting colder and more useful by the day....also having urinated next to the area only minutes before would discourage good nosed creatures from approaching.

Approach91016.mp3