Name That Poop!

What would the experts on here think of the possible owner of this scat to be? Also what were they eating? Location: Trinity River bottoms SE of Dallas.

Guest wudewasa

Thanks for the bottle for size comparison purposes. Raccoon or opossum is my take, as the scat is full of seeds this time of year. I'm assuming that this is a recent pic?

It was actually right at nearly a year ago, 11/24/2010. There was another nearby consisting of only course black hair (hog hair) that I assume was coyote. Maybe the berry eater is **** but it seemed fairly large for that but then again the stuff it ate may have cleaned him out all at once.

It was actually right at nearly a year ago, 11/24/2010. There was another nearby consisting of only course black hair (hog hair) that I assume was coyote. Maybe the berry eater is **** but it seemed fairly large for that but then again the stuff it ate may have cleaned him out all at once.

It appears to be coyote scat containing muscadine seeds and hulls. (But 11-24 would be a little too late for that fruit here. Possibly Elderberries.)

Edited by Branco

Guest RedRatSnake

I have looked at this thread for and hour now and for the life of me i can't think of one single joke, i should be able to crack out a dozen butt i can't scratch up nothing, i guess maybe you guys are just to serious about this poop thing.

BFF Patron

Don't worry RRS you just "crack(ed) out a dozen butt" :lol:

You're a jokester (or poet) and don't know it :P

Wouldn't know BF if he bit you in the butt, :D (j/k and all, lighten up bro)

Guest wudewasa

I have looked at this thread for and hour now and for the life of me i can't think of one single joke, i should be able to crack out a dozen butt i can't scratch up nothing, i guess maybe you guys are just to serious about this poop thing.

So you are being fickle over our interests in things fecal?!

Guest RedRatSnake

Art already deleted my secondary title to the thread, that was my humor. So here's one. If you don't know scat , you don't know......

4480325_f260.jpg

BFF Patron

Dang RRS yah got all the connections in this field, I didn't know you knew Gomer's brother,

Steemen Pyles?! Small world, yes it is. :P

On topic I would've gone with fox but could settle on coyote in a pinch.

Guest D B Cooper

A typical pile of Black Bear crap... A Coyote's primary diet is rodents. They are a canine, their scat looks like dog crap, with hair in it.

The black bear thing is interesting, as I have not heard of confirmed Black bear on the Trinity around here but they are supposed to be regaining their old range, NE and SE Texas has them already. I wasnt implying coyote myself, for the same reasons DB mentioned above.

The Muscadine thing is also interesting as fellow researchers have found BF tracks under bridges with a pile of muscadine skins like they were squeezed into there mouth. I understand if you eat the skin it will jack you up.

Edited by GEARMAN