Name That Poop!

Here's one from a couple years ago. A good pile of these logs were found in my feed room on top of the alfalfa hay behind a pallet. Something had been eating the sweet feed and using the feed room as a latrine, lol. Not yotee or dog, ends are not tapered. Broke one open, no hair only fecal matter and undigested oats from the sweet feed.

post-110-053325000 1321754983_thumb.jpg

post-110-030876300 1321755028_thumb.jpg

A typical pile of Black Bear crap... A Coyote's primary diet is rodents. They are a canine, their scat looks like dog crap, with hair in it.

Coyotes eat about anything, from torn portions of leather work gloves to snakes. They will gorge themselves on various domestic fruit and every type of wild fruit such as black cherry (when black bear climb the trees and break of the fruit laden limbs, leaving uneaten fruit on them), muscadine grapes, elderberries, blackberries, huckle berries, and winter huckleberries. During the years that cicadas emerge in droves, they will also gorge themselves on those insects. (This spring I found dozens of piles of coyote scat that contained nothing but the remains of those insects, and I posted a photo of one such scat pile on a web site.) In the summer and fall it is not uncommon to find coyote scat containing the remains of one type of fruit and no hair at all.

Of course if coyotes have nothing to eat but rodents, that's what they eat.

The scat shown in the original picture is from a canine, not a bear. Had it been a bear that had consumed the fruit shown, it would have been a large, round and somewhat flatened pile. Have seen many, many piles of black bear scat after they too had eaten the fruits described above.

Edited by Branco

Thanks for the insight Branco, I would be more comfortable if the berry eater was coyote. Atleast I wont be worried about one more thing out there than can kill me!

What would the experts on here think of the possible owner of this scat to be? Also what were they eating? Location: Trinity River bottoms SE of Dallas.

It's raccoon. Next....

Same day different poop, likely coyote after eating hog remains (squatch kills hog?)

How long are the sections of the poop? It does look a lot like coyote poop

I have one from about a week ago,two kinds of hair and corn

The hair looks a lot like rabbit hair. I lean toward coyote or fox. Both will also eat corn.

Here's one from a couple years ago. A good pile of these logs were found in my feed room on top of the alfalfa hay behind a pallet. Something had been eating the sweet feed and using the feed room as a latrine, lol. Not yotee or dog, ends are not tapered. Broke one open, no hair only fecal matter and undigested oats from the sweet feed.

That one has me stumped a bit. It would have to be something that can climb, of course. Maybe a raccoon or opossum? Put a trail cam up there! lol

None of the seeds appear to be ground up as if chewed by molars.

It seems whatever ate them swallowed them whole.

I wonder.... if one put a bowl of cherries in with a gorilla, would it thoroughly chew them up or simply swallow them whole?

Edited by slabdog

That one has me stumped a bit. It would have to be something that can climb, of course. Maybe a raccoon or opossum? Put a trail cam up there! lol

Ya me to being that I'm not a poo-ologist, lol.

Did set a cam in the feed room but only got a partial of something, definately not one of my cats. At the time I had close to 20 barn cats and the cam was constantly getting triggered by the cats, batteries too expensive.

The pics show how the unopened bag was torn, from the "top". Rats, coons and possum are creatures of opportunity, normally they will chew into the easiest point of access which is the bottom of the bag, which was a normal occurance until I started keeping my feed in the enclosed horse trailer dressing room.

I also did numerous searches on poo images and couldn't find any possum or raccoon scat that even came close.

Also you can see where the pallets were leaning against the wall, that was the latrine, lol. BUT the pics of the poo that I originally posted were found on what was left of the alfalfa on the ground behind the pallet.

post-110-002867900 1321810603_thumb.jpg

post-110-061148000 1321810970_thumb.jpg

post-110-003247600 1321811451_thumb.jpg

post-110-030299400 1321811468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Painthorse

This is my unknown scat, the darker stuff is obviously a (big) bear that was eating juniper berries, but unsure of the lighter feces. It looks to have been deposited later and is huge. The knife is 12" long for comparison.

post-2081-020488100 1321828302_thumb.jpg

Guest wild eyed willy

What would the experts on here think of the possible owner of this scat to be? Also what were they eating? Location: Trinity River bottoms SE of Dallas.

I don't know what this is, but I have seen this same stuff here in CT.

Guest D B Cooper

Now I am kinda nervous that I was hiking down there with no weapon only worried about boars and now there are bear too!

99% of the time a Black Bear will run from you faster than you can run from it. I've spent my entire life in Black Bear country. Grew up in the Cascades and played in the woods when I was 4 or 5 years old. Never ever had an incident. There were Feral Goats that would chase us sooner than a Black Bear would. Feral / wild pigs are very dangerous and ill tempered.

This is my unknown scat, the darker stuff is obviously a (big) bear that was eating juniper berries, but unsure of the lighter feces. It looks to have been deposited later and is huge. The knife is 12" long for comparison.

If you have boar in your area maybe it could be that.

Hi, no boar in our area. I had a brain fart when I set up my profile. I'm from Alberta, Canada not Alabama. That pic was taken by the Big Horn dam, Abraham Lake Alberta.