What Would You Do If You Found A Baby Bigfoot?

Guest Twilight Fan

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the liklihood of finding an unattended, orphaned or otherwise lone offspring of this species is next to nothing. I think their family structure is such that even if the parent came across ill will and had a young one with them, it would be picked up almost immediately by another family member. Their not raccoons. :blink: Oh and as far as any purported situation where one was allegedly killed, I have serious doubts about that whole scenario.

Edited by bananasquatch

Guest Twilight Fan

Some interesting answers so far guys, thanks for voting! :)

Ok fair enough..

Could you add an option though to the poll ??

" Run like hell in case Mum or Dad turn up and see the situation in a way that doesn't favor you ".

If you do, i'll vote that.

Actually, running away fits into the "Leave it alone" category. Because if you run from it, you're not having anything to do with it which is essentially leaving it alone. So, potato/patotto.

I'm not completely against him killing it even though i'm not completely happy with it but please, that has to be the lamest excuse for killing ANYTHING right there..

People don't HAVE TO kill things, you can leave things be you know, some would argue even more so when you have the safety of a motor vehicle there.

You don't HAVE TO KILL something that 1 ) You don't know what it is ( because he didn't know what it was ) and 2 ) Because it's in distress when you've just blasted its Mum all over a meadow for a reason that i'm not personally sure of.

Good point. I am a hardcore bowhunter. I practice year round and hike all during the off season and hunt basically anything with a season and killing it never entered my mind. I did think about picking it up and carring it out of the woods to prove they exist, but never would I think of hurting it in any way. I can't imagine the type of person that would want to kill it. Taking it home would probably po it's parents so I would just feed it food from my pack for a while and see if mom or dad showed up. If I get attacked I would gop down swinging I guess. Worse ways to go in my opinion. At least I would know for sure they were real lol.

I'm not personally a fan of hypotheticals like this, but I'll bite...

Based on my experience with another large furry mammal (black bear), I'd go with "run, and run fast away from it".

All of the warm and fuzzy scenarios sound good, and maybe its human instinct to want to care for wayward woodland critters, but I'll have no part of a youngster- with its momma possibly lurking nearby.

Been there, done that- with a black bear sow. Among a good half dozen or so bear encounters I've had growing up/as an adult- its the only time I've ever felt truly frightened. She bluff charged til she was just past the two cubs, and stood there defensively "woofing" at my brother and I (this is from about 20 yards mind you).

We backed slowly away, until we were back around a bend in the trail, and then booked it out of there.

Wait around for momma or dad to show up ! ?? No thanks !

I have no desire to have my arms and legs ripped from their sockets- so no, if I came across a baby bigfoot in the woods, I would not mess with it.

A.

If I found a baby BF I would probably run. I think of the Jurassic park movie where the moma rex was after it's baby and trying to find it. I think that is what would happen, and moma would not be happy I was near by. I would probably run and hide somewhere and watch though to see what would happen. If the baby was not found in a couple hours or something and my bravery was intact. I may go get it, but I think the families would be by to find it. Maybe leave a granoloa bar and water with it if it was able to function eating by itself. Next thing, the baby eats the granola bar and chokes to death, then I'm in trouble still. An infant one, I would do the same. A toddler aged one, the same. But, I'd have to see what was going on first to know. Like, if there was a forest fire, I'd grab the kid and run for cover and figure things out later. So it depends.

I think animals react to forest fires and emergencies differently than a regular day for them. They are more forgiving and the flight mechanism is in working condition at that moment.

Edited by gail

Guest Luckyfoot

I would definately take it home w/ me. The topic is "baby" bigfoot so I'll assume it's way easier to handle than a juvenile or adult. I would treat the animal as well I could until Doc Meldrum finally responds to my constant barrage of calls and e-mails with pics.

After passing it along to him or the seemingly most qualified to deal with , I would then hope a considerate and humane method of containing it in captivity was employed. It would be an amazing scientific discovery, far more valuable than a dead one.

I would record and take as many pics as I could while the animal was in my hands. I may consider writing a small book after that and make a few $$.

How about doing the compassionate and "humane" thing and care about its situation?

I am often involved in wildlife rescue and know that in general you dont see the kids of anything alone - theres a reason and it will usually be that the parents are in trouble or dead. There are responsible and naturally compassionate steps to take. Like any first aid situation first check to see the dangers about both for yourself and the child. Second try to recognise what is wrong, is the child in trouble or is their family nearby. In the case of BF Im sure the child would come to you if you offered some food (stories on encounters with the kids suggest this). Im also sure that if the child piggy backed on you or you picked it up and just stayed there any mother near by would not worry on this - only if you started to take it out of the forest. If the child was not needing medical attention I would have it piggy back while I went looking for its mother who may be in need of help or dead. If after some time of calling for the parents and searching I did not find them I would either take it home if I had too or get a friend to come up with stores and camp there for a while and continue the search. In the end it would come home with me if no parents could be found.

What would be going through my mind if I found a BF baby alone? Not sure but i would wager it would be the mothers fist :P

I would like to say I would help/take the baby but unless it was with the body of its mother, I would be pretty **** nervous about touching it. If there were no adult body there I would be quite worried about the mother looking for the child and the chance I'm standing between them.

In the case of BF Im sure the child would come to you if you offered some food (stories on encounters with the kids suggest this). Im also sure that if the child piggy backed on you or you picked it up and just stayed there any mother near by would not worry on this - only if you started to take it out of the forest. If the child was not needing medical attention I would have it piggy back while I went looking for its mother who may be in need of help or dead.

I wouldnt like to be the one to test this theory....

I don't know of any animals, human or not, other than say house pets, that wouldnt get a tad antsy at seeing their young being carried around/away by another animal.

As someone already stated about the reactions of a bear, go to a mall and find a lost child and start walking around with them, unless you are wearing a police or mall security uniform, I would put money on the mother rushing you with at least some form of agression until you could get your story out.

I gotta be honest folks...regardless of the potential for the wrath of momma or poppa....I still think I would take it.

It's the perfect opportunity!

We wouldn't be running afoul of the "no-kill" crowd. It would be a live specimen!

Science could study it for years as it grew up.

I really think I would take the chance, take off it with it....and turn it over to a zoo.

Turn it over to a zoo that is - once I took buku photos and video and gave Meldrum a chance to fly to my town to check it out first. :)

I figure he deserves "that call".

Since the baby Squatch is alone in the woods and distressed; I would take it home and raise him/her as if he/she were my own child. I would save the one million dollars one billion dollars that me and the baby Squatch made from TV appearances and interviews in a trust fund and we would not spend any of that money until the baby Squatch turned 18. ;)

Edited by xspider1

How about doing the compassionate and "humane" thing and care about its situation?

I am often involved in wildlife rescue and know that in general you dont see the kids of anything alone - theres a reason and it will usually be that the parents are in trouble or dead. There are responsible and naturally compassionate steps to take. Like any first aid situation first check to see the dangers about both for yourself and the child. Second try to recognise what is wrong, is the child in trouble or is their family nearby. In the case of BF Im sure the child would come to you if you offered some food (stories on encounters with the kids suggest this). Im also sure that if the child piggy backed on you or you picked it up and just stayed there any mother near by would not worry on this - only if you started to take it out of the forest. If the child was not needing medical attention I would have it piggy back while I went looking for its mother who may be in need of help or dead. If after some time of calling for the parents and searching I did not find them I would either take it home if I had too or get a friend to come up with stores and camp there for a while and continue the search. In the end it would come home with me if no parents could be found.

I should add that if I was in the USA I would recognise the BF child was in extra danger from humans with a kill em an bag em way of thinking and those who think on winning money as more important than compassion for a lone child. So I might spend as much time trying to protect the child from a BF hunter as finding the mother.

If I found a Yowie child in Australia I would not have that added concern about hunters or treasure seekers to such a degree in the field as rifle ownership and hunting are very highly regulated.