Nocturnal Species Or Just Nocturnal Hunters?

I was going to reply to a thread partly about are bigfoot / sasquatches nocturnal and got to thinking.... maybe they are diurnal except for hunting? Are family groups or juveniles sighted at night? Or females? Or just a male or groups of males perhaps in cooperative hunting parties?

I cannot recall sightings of juveniles at night. Or females. Early evening, maybe, but later at night? I recall night sightings are bf stomping around your tent at night, yodeling to each other, and checking you out in general. Peeking in your window or cruising across the road.

I think I do remember one report with a family at night, the one where the kid was sitting in the middle of the road and a trucker stopped.

But other than that, are sightings mostly of groups or single ones, either male or not ID'd at all as to gender or not as female or juvenile.

-?-

Q: Do you recall reading or hearing about late night sightings telling of sasquatches identified as juveniles or females?

BFF Patron

Crepuscular for sure, maybe it's seasonal though on the nocturnal (maybe more so in the warmer part of spring, all summer and warmer part of fall), just a guess. As my sighting occurred when I was dark-adapted right after civil twilight......I'd have to say for sure that they are crepuscular...... but other activity occurred at night short of a sighting.

One feature of the behaviour of lots of the crepuscular species I am familiar with is that they post watchmen, or sentries, for those times when they are relaxing or sleeping during the day. Of particular interest here would be baboons and some monkeys, particularly in the hottest areas, or the hottest times of year, who will forage for an hour or two in the morning, and an hour or two in the evening, and who always have lookouts on duty, whether the troop is foraging or resting. A quick alarm call gets the resting ones alert immediately, or taking action if appropriate. Maybe wood knocking could be seen as an equivalent of an alarm call from a sentry. Who knows.

Crepuscularity in Africa varies with the climate. Lions hunt during the day at higher altitudes where it is cooler, for instance, whereas they are generally known for hunting at night on in the cool of the morning or evening. Puku or red lechwe in the (extremely hot) Zambezi or Luangwa valleys will stand idly in the shade during the heat of the day, but on the surrounding (cooler) plains they will feed throughout the day. So, if sasquatch does turn out to be mainly crepuscular, I would be very surprised if this was year-round, and if it was country-wide. I would expect, based only on my African experience, of course, that activity periods would vary with the climate.

Mike

Edited by MikeG

BFF Patron

OK, at the risk of getting something thrown at me here.....Todd Standing claims Bigfoot do the same thing.

Do what?

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am not all that familiar with the differences between being diurnal or crepuscular, which hinders my ability to formulate a hypothesis and understand the ideas of others. From what I understand, diurnal animals are active only during the daytime. This doesn't fit with what many witness reports claim, which is a bigfoot that is active at night.

From what I have read of the term crepuscular, it means that animals are active between dawn and sunrise, and/or between sunset and dusk. This does fit suspected bigfoot behavior better than diurnality, but I still find a problem with this. The problem, I will admit, may arise from my limited understanding of the terms, and it arises because of reports of the animals around midday. If an animal were crepuscular, wouldn't they be inactive during daylight hours?

This is what I took the term to mean, and therefore it doesn't fit in my opinion. But, if a crepuscular animal can be active during the day, this would seem to remedy the problem I believe exists. Also, wouldn't a crepuscular animal be inactive during late-night - early morning hours, the hours that are not considered twilight?

Or does the term mean that the animals are active at any time, but most active during twilight? I have a feeling that I am not grasping something here, lol. So it would be much appreciated if someone could set me straight.

BFF Patron

Oh, ok sentries and such....... yawn.... just another alarm call in the wilderness scenario.... bluejays are good at it too.

Crepuscular means ONLY at twilight and around dawn? Seems a pretty narrow window.

Wisegeek says:

When an animal is said to be crepuscular, it is active during the twilight hours at dawn and dusk.... Many animals take advantage of the twilight to feed, seek out water, and engage in other behaviors because they know that predators are not as active in the twilight. Visibility is also challenging at dawn and dusk, making it easier for animals to hide from potential threats. Rabbits and cats are both famously crepuscular.

And so many sightings at so many different times....but I am talking also about hunting.... ...Would one of you saying they are crepuscular expand a little as to what you think that means as far as bf activity, and their hunting, too, so as to facilitate discussion, please? THanks.

Edited by Kings Canyon

BFF Patron

Well, briefly they take huge advantage of changing light conditions, when ungulates are beginning to stir from their day beds or, when they are returning to such. Sasquatch, as you are aware are the masters of shadow and light. :keeporder:

Not to say they are not nocturnal in differing seasons and climates, if they were diurnal only, discovery would be eezy-peezy and some would have hides hanging from their sheds. :sarcastic:

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

Have at it...... seems less likely I think (it's all conjecture isn't it..... :gamer: )

http://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2007/3/n003p239.pdf