Nocturnal Species Or Just Nocturnal Hunters?

cathemeral Applied to an activity pattern in which an animal is neither pre-scriptively nocturnal, nor diurnal, nor crepuscular, but irregularly active at any time of night or day, according to prevailing circumstances.

(Like teenagers.)

Bigfooters do it any time at all?

Edited by Kings Canyon

Cathemeral seems to be the only term which incorperates behaviour at all hours without any particular greater component on night morning evening and dawn. Sightings and or encounters have been reported for all times of day or night and it doesnt seem they are only nocturnal or diurnal or crepuscular. It is presumptious of us to make any definitive classification of BF as this or that , but if I am answering at all, I go with cathemeral in order to to incorperate behaviour as reported by witnesses.

Guest KentuckyApeman

Good thread topic. And regarding sightings of the past 100 years...

"It was broad daylight...." Or,

"It was 2 am in the morning..."

"About 9 am."

"7 pm, dusk."

"High noon!"

Ok, so BF likes to show himself at anytime. Seems we are dealing with various individuals who have their own preferences. Kinda like us. :aikido:

Edited by KentuckyApeman

I agree. This is why cathemeral seems to be the closest term to their activity time. And... like you, I wish to add one of these cool smilies, now let me see... :pickeat:

Edited by Encounter

BFF Patron

I still see them as mostly nocturnal and crepuscular, and so it goes....... :no:

Too many instances of special eye characteristics to say otherwise (see John Green's database et al)

oh, good choice of smiley :pilot: .. ....

Edited by bipedalist

You push the nocturnal thing but dont say why. Many have pointed out that there are sightings at all hours and encounters all hours. As I asked above, why do you not take these into account. As I ... mentioned, all your information comes from those people who have had actually encounters (witnessess ) and witnessess inform you that encounters happen at all times of day. Are you sticking to nocturnal just because you started off that way? Why not consider that as we dont have all the facts, a term that temporarily covers the information we do have at present is best. Its not a competition, its a quest for understanding isnt it?

I think if you look at the number of sightings at night relative to the number of available people to have those sightings, it points to the animals being active when it’s dark-thirty. That’s the thinking behind nocturnal that a lot of people are coming from.

Which is a very valid way of analysing the issue to my mind. However, it would be even more convincing if we came across the occasional sasquatch sleeping during the day.

Mike

If its true that a greater proportion of sighting/encounters are after dark this may be weighed by the possibility BF wishes only to be close to humans when humans are not able to see them or are sleeping. Approaching human dwellings and encampments at such a time is safer it would seem for the BF. During the day they would likely use every skill to not be seen. If therefore BF is more likely to approach human vicinities after dark, statistics may may seem to show a greater proportion of after dark encounters. This does not mean that one should gather BF is nocturnal. As I wrote and as have other encounterers, I have experienced them being active during the day making wood knocks (and yes I looked into this to substantiate at least what creature it wasnt). From my experience they are around during the day, evening, night and dawn.

I suspect bigfoot will go about his business whenever he wants. Most reports do seem to occur in the twilight or even at night when humans are usually abed but this could only be an artifact of bigfoot behavior where humans are common. If humans tend to be nearby, bigfoot likely will pursue late-night activities more often. where humans are rare, then probably they spend more time out during the day. Very few primates are nocturnal (teenagers and clubkids notwithstanding) and I would expect bigfoot to be diurnal like the rest of us. Hence the reasoning they choose their time of day.

• 7 months later...

Oh, ok sentries and such....... yawn.... just another alarm call in the wilderness scenario.... bluejays are good at it too.

So I have a question, if Bigfoot post sentries that use wood knocking as an alert system, why do we keep copying them when we don't know what it means?

S

Guest BastetsCat

I have a reference sighting...well two actually.

I was driving to Craig to visit a friend from Rifle (Colorado) It was late and dark. I see someone on the side of the road walking. I start to slow down. Two lane road middle of nowhere. I get to looking and wonder why the HUGE guy is wearing a fur coat in the summertime. I think wow he is a really big guy. I think hey I don't remember seeing any broke down cars or trucks.....All of this is going through my mind. I get closer and discover he is walking in a ditch...and is bigger than he looked. Broader and that I was actually closer than I thought. I was going really slow at this point. I looked over at the thing as it turned and looked at me with a snarling face all scrunched up teeth exposed. I punched it and left at a high rate of speed.....it wasn't a guy and it wasn't a person. It wasn't wearing a fur coat it had a fur hide. Light brown with a patch of lighter brown/blonde across the belly front. I got a good look cause to turn and snarl it swung its whole body around to snarl at me. It was also summer time. Nice weather and clear roads. Lots of deer so I was driving slow.

Hey I stalked a BF....LOL

Following winter in a really aggressive snow storm that dropped like a foot of snow in literally an hour I was working and going was slow....It had not stopped snowing but had slowed down. on the other side of the flattops. Less than a mile south of State Bridge Colorado on Highway 131 I saw the same BF walking across the slope of the hill on the west side of the road. It again was in no hurry. It had the same unique color pattern and it looked pregnant big fat belly. Reminded me of a carebear at that point...I have always called it the TeddyBear because of the coloration. I was moving like so increadibly slow going up hill; and a car coming down the hill big eyes driving really fast. It she was fairly close to the road walking across the slope.

In the one area that was so public I would notice them as shadows or dark spots in the reeds sitting during the days. Activity at night.

So maybe it depends on where they are in relation to people as to how they act.

BFF Patron

So I have a question, if Bigfoot post sentries that use wood knocking as an alert system, why do we keep copying them when we don't know what it means?

S

Maybe the answer would be similar to why a sock puppet would open up 24 accounts on an internet forum..... stupidity, brashness, desire to get instant results, despite the outcome? Who knows really...... if old newspaper accounts mentioned woodknocking and others got return knocks maybe that is all it is ..... thrill of the chase.

The researcher I've spoken to thinks that the bf family I've interacted with has a juvenile, and s/he was the curious, bold one who was knocking and whistling with me the first time. And that was between 9:15 and 10:15 at night, both times. So junior was up late apparently....

And they have a talented sentinel.

Edited by madison5716